Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:11 PM Post #1,516 of 5,780
Further to this, I've been listening to the "Warm" setting even more today, and the bass actually is a bit "muddy" or boomy sounding with some songs over LDAC (96/24). I 100% think the "Default" setting sounds better. I'm still sure some people are going to like the Warm setting so it's nice that Audeze added it, the more options the better. It's more usable with Movies and gaming if you don't have access to your own EQ, but for music I can't really recommend it personally.

What games are you playing ? PC?

To me even localization is better in warm vs default. Part because explosions and gunfire are highlighted

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #1,517 of 5,780
What games are you playing ? PC?

To me even localization is better in warm vs default. Part because explosions and gunfire are highlighted

I've only tested with World of Warcraft on PC, but my response was mostly directed at music and not games. I spent a couple of hours today testing via LDAC and on a number of songs the Warm preset presented as muddy and way too boomy for my taste, default sound very clearly better.

On PC you can do anything you want with a system EQ anyway which is what I've been doing. I like the default setting for gaming but I just like a bit more thump to the sub bass. I'm not really sure how an increase to bass frequency and a veiling of treble would result in better localization.

Oct 6, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #1,518 of 5,780
I've only tested with World of Warcraft on PC, but my response was mostly directed at music and not games. I spent a couple of hours today testing via LDAC and on a number of songs the Warm preset presented as muddy and way too boomy for my taste, default sound very clearly better.

On PC you can do anything you want with a system EQ anyway which is what I've been doing. I like the default setting for gaming but I just like a bit more thump to the sub bass. I'm not really sure how an increase to bass frequency and a veiling of treble would result in better localization.

Because explosions and gun fires are highlighted it makes it easier to distinguish from other sounds like music or environmental which usually would come from the front speakers.

Hearing the splash from an explosion to your rear right is easier if it makes a THUMP and doesn't get muddled with the virtual frontal speakers playing some random sound.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2018 at 10:27 PM Post #1,519 of 5,780
Because explosions and gun fires are highlighted it makes it easier to distinguish from other sounds like music or environmental which usually would come from the front speakers.

Hearing the splash from an explosion to your rear right is easier if it makes a THUMP and doesn't get muddled with the virtual frontal speakers playing some random sound.
I have had no problems distinguishing those effects on any of the presets. If you like the Warm setting that's great though, I think it was a requested preset so I'm sure others will like it as well. To my ears the default setting with my own EQ is superior though.

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:55 AM Post #1,521 of 5,780
my bad. lol. but still, it's Saturday, have some quality time with friends and family please.

At the end of the day, it's what it matters. mobius just a means to an end.

Yeah, and it would be nice if they could give me and the others that say they hear white noise the same experience as those who got lucky and got units with no noise at all. It would be nice if I could have one of those "dead silent" units too, but unfortunately I won't get that chance because @Audeze has deemed white noise as within spec so anyone who sends a unit will be out shipping and just get back the same unit.

Oct 7, 2018 at 1:00 AM Post #1,522 of 5,780
I got my Mobius today but there is channel imbalance i was wondering if reinstalling firmware would fix that or not. If so, how to do that?

Oct 7, 2018 at 3:44 AM Post #1,524 of 5,780
You're always welcome, PM me when you want to make it happen someway.
Your discription means it sounds like the usual amplifier white noise. Maybe (or not) more grainy, as what you hear is probably the DAC's residual noise, not the amp's, and DAC's noise usually isn't that "clean".
3-4 bars on iPad is really low level, I just listen to Ryuichi Sakamoto Beauty album on 9 bars (USB2 with Lightning Power Camera Adapter) on my iPadPro 10.5, which is about the level of my own voice when I'm talking. So you probably have a very sensitive hearing.
I just had my hearing tested by a medical audiologist and she told me I would have the hearing of an owl. Maybe she meant a little older owl:).
I have all the equipment to measure and analyse the noise if it's somewhat above the threshold of hearing. I have to see which of my Bruel&Kjaer measurement mic's have low enough self noise, but I have several 1" ones and a B&K 4142 artificial ear - and a very quiet room in my recording studio.
So far I didn't think it's necessary as I don't hear any noise, but it won't hurt to do it.
BTW: Studio recording mic's have too high self noise (except some of the latest Neuman ones) to record the noise, as you may find out if you try comparing recordings with Mobius switched on and off - if you hear a difference in the recordings the noise must be really bad.
With my usual 1/2" B&K mic on my 4143 artificial ear I could not detect any noise, the mic's self noise is too high.

Do you by any chance will visit the audiovista in Krefeld, which is our Can Jam this year, after the real Can Jam in Munich was a diseaster?
I won’t be able to attend but live like 5 km away and would have some free time on Sunday after 7 pm.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:12 AM Post #1,526 of 5,780
Finally got my headphones back from RMA(I was backer 26). Still has hiss. Reduced quite a bit and I guess I'd call it acceptable if you got a good deal on them.

Long and short of it is Audeze said they'd make the hiss inaudible. I think they even bolded that bit in their multi paragraph post about how they'd make things right. Here we are though, it's audible.

Oct 7, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #1,527 of 5,780
So I've had a persisting problem with my mobius where the high frequency sound just cracks/distorted in 3D mode. If i change it to high res mode it seems to disappear although the sound at first is distorted and then fixes itself. I've tried to record it where i run the same sound twice in high res mode https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tX7QFowcZ0ElO3ShYVIGrAZXHflKVBBU/view?usp=sharing. The distortion you hear in the start is what it always sound like in 3D mode. The problem sometimes disappear but keeps reappearing. The mobius in connected with usb cable and everything in updated and grounded. Do anyone have an idea to what is wrong?

EDIT:
Tried recording in the 3D mode https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xek6stsRoJvD2_z87M1Z9gUJWS5oTdpS/view?usp=sharing you can clearly hear the distortion. Only the sound at 8 seconds is clean. The sounds are from the windows 10 test button

EDIT 2:
So this is what it sounds like working https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iWuDHzfluXsK0HNEua2TX0efDTRYXpj1/view?usp=sharing but this working sound is not permanent.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #1,529 of 5,780
So maybe I am just an idiot, but where exactly is this app everyone keeps.mentioning for the Mobius. I have yet to be able to find it...

Not an app, a windows based software program. It's available at Audeze's website (prolly under support or in the product page itself)

Oct 7, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #1,530 of 5,780
So I've had a persisting problem with my mobius where the high frequency sound just cracks/distorted in 3D mode. If i change it to high res mode it seems to disappear although the sound at first is distorted and then fixes itself. I've tried to record it where i run the same sound twice in high res mode https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tX7QFowcZ0ElO3ShYVIGrAZXHflKVBBU/view?usp=sharing. The distortion you hear in the start is what it always sound like in 3D mode. The problem sometimes disappear but keeps reappearing. The mobius in connected with usb cable and everything in updated and grounded. Do anyone have an idea to what is wrong?

EDIT:
Tried recording in the 3D mode https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xek6stsRoJvD2_z87M1Z9gUJWS5oTdpS/view?usp=sharing you can clearly hear the distortion. Only the sound at 8 seconds is clean. The sounds are from the windows 10 test button
Try to switch EQ mode once, does it go away?
I have an issue when switching back and forth between HiRes and 7.1 the internal DSP seems to become confused.
Look here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/audeze-mobius-review-impressions.887808/page-89#post-14517501

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back