Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:05 AM Post #406 of 5,779
Sometimes in OSX AAC is disabled. You can enable it on the terminal with
sudo defaults write bluetoothaudiod "Enable AAC codec" -bool true

Update: Something is up with the youtube app for iOS. It's the only app that has latency issues when watching videos with the Mobius. Netflix, Prime Video, Hulu, etc. are all fine.

The Mobius finally defaults to AAC after inputing the code above on terminal. It just baffles me why I needed to do this when my Solo3 wireless defaults to AAC without needing to go to terminal.

I've compared the Mobius to the Solo3 wireless regarding watching videos on iOS devices, and the Mobius has latency issues while I didn't experience any with the Solo3 wireless.

Using the Mobius with an android device, I didn't experience any latency when watching videos.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:09 AM Post #407 of 5,779
If anyone can tell us how to get more volume with the PS4 it would be nice....

When using USB, have you got it set to all audio and not chat only? This option is greyed out when on 3.5mm. Otherwise U pretty much done all there is: max volume in settings and ingame.

Sep 8, 2018 at 2:43 AM Post #408 of 5,779
That all sounds reasonable until you put on stuff mastered at -35dB RMS. If the quoted '> 120dB' is met then we're all good, so we shall see.
Can you name productions mastered that quiet?
Even when mastered to the current EBU R128 standard the target level is -23dBFS RMS, in fact no big change for classical music to what we had before.
82D7C20E-5D61-4185-B9BF-BF9E5473455A.jpeg
850581D4-1294-4C98-BE33-3DF8A6CB9D97.jpeg
F46FEBAC-51EB-4C88-8B23-984BE1AB206A.jpeg

Sennheiser KB55 ULDG1k.02.12.2017.03.06.06.jpeg

ADI-2/4 Pro SE turntable ground connection:
IMG_2738.jpeg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 5:16 AM Post #409 of 5,779
Gorgeous!

Mine shipped to my hotel yestersay so will be waiting for me when I check in. :)

Actually got really lucky with my stand. Won it in a raffle at a Head-Fi meet a few years back. Very pleased with it though. It looked better with the LCD3 before I sold it. Hope you like yours when it arrives.

My wife got me a set of 4 from etsy. One of all the 3 classes & the last one is the Destiny logo. I was very happy with her that day

Sep 8, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #410 of 5,779
I'm just a bit confused as to why a comparison of "it's competition" includes open back headphones while reviewing a closed back. Apples and oranges, very strange.

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #411 of 5,779
I'm just a bit confused as to why a comparison of "it's competition" includes open back headphones while reviewing a closed back. Apples and oranges, very strange.

I don't think it was so much competition as it was (relatively) easy to drive Planars and how they sound comparatively. More so a list of pros and cons of each to determine what is similar, different, or maybe could be improved upon. Like he stated, there is no perfect headphone, objectively, but he really seems to like the Mobius for what it is and thinks that, for its price and being a planar headphone, it is worth the money.

It didn't come off as competitive at all to me. Just seemed like he was noting how they were different and similar to other planar cans that he owns/owned based on how they performed individually in his experience with each of them. I enjoyed it myself, having owned a few of the cans mentioned. It's kinda given me a better idea of what to expect when mine arrive.

Sep 8, 2018 at 8:13 AM Post #412 of 5,779
What are you guys using for the room ambience figure?
Also, does anyone know why the Mobius sounds "not as rich" when plugged in my mac than my PC? Could it be the lack of Mobius software on Mac OS?

Using 50-60 personally, leaning towards the 50-55 region. I think 40ish maybe 45 is the sweet spot where you get a really good sense of space and positioning of the virtual speakers bit I bump it a bit more because I like the extra space. Past 60 or so it gets a little too echo-y for me and the sound loses a bit too much impact

Sep 8, 2018 at 10:04 AM Post #413 of 5,779
Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #414 of 5,779
Using 50-60 personally, leaning towards the 50-55 region. I think 40ish maybe 45 is the sweet spot where you get a really good sense of space and positioning of the virtual speakers bit I bump it a bit more because I like the extra space. Past 60 or so it gets a little too echo-y for me and the sound loses a bit too much impact

Yep, after playing with the setting more now that I'm confident my HRTF Personalization measurements are accurate, I settled in on 55. It's interesting to hear differences in the mastering of content though. My baseline I was testing with were different sequences in Rogue One on Netflix. 60 actually still worked well there, even during quieter dialogue scenes. But then when I took 60 over to Better Call Saul, it was a bit too echo-y. I haven't felt the need to move down to 50 on any content yet, but that's the lowest I'd go.

Interestingly, after spending a while up in that 55-60 range, trying to go back down to 42 where I was previously felt almost congested with how closely everything came back in around my head.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #415 of 5,779
Yep, after playing with the setting more now that I'm confident my HRTF Personalization measurements are accurate, I settled in on 55. It's interesting to hear differences in the mastering of content though. My baseline I was testing with were different sequences in Rogue One on Netflix. 60 actually still worked well there, even during quieter dialogue scenes. But then when I took 60 over to Better Call Saul, it was a bit too echo-y. I haven't felt the need to move down to 50 on any content yet, but that's the lowest I'd go.

Interestingly, after spending a while up in that 55-60 range, trying to go back down to 42 where I was previously felt almost congested with how closely everything came back in around my head.

I agree. I initially found the default of 35 to be too echoey but after adjusting over a week or two I'm really liking the 50-55 range. Going down to 35 again feels a little less "cohesive" in the virtual room and more cramped.

35 does feel more like near field monitors. 50 feels like a decent bookshelf speaker at a medium distance

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #416 of 5,779
Both, but particularly USB is way to quiet for some reason. The volume with PS4 max playing a song with Spotify is the equivalent of 4 notches of volume with Mobius USB into my MacBook Pro playing Spotify. Using AUX into my PS4 controller with both PS4 and Mobius volumes max is only a little louder, my LCD-2C plugged straight into PS4 controller is louder which really surprised me and doesn't really seem right to me. I can't find any other settings that I think could be wrong, there has to be something that some of us are missing?

I'm baffled to be honest. A few other things have come to mind though. Which USB port are you using on the PS4? I think I've read before about one port performing better than another with different peripherals.

That said, it doesn't explain the AUX connection to the DS4. I know it probably sounds silly to mention , but I do recall the first time I used it when I first got my PS4, I thought I pushed the plug all the way in, but the sound was quiet and hollow. Once I actually seated the plug all the way into the jack, then the sound worked as expected.

Sorry if I'm seemingly grasping at straws, but I'm just trying to consider any and all possibilities.

Sep 8, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #417 of 5,779
Is anyone using the USB C to A adapter to connect to a DAP? I am wondering if this one will work to connect the Mobius to my Astell & Kern Kann to get audio out:

https://ifi-audio.com/products/otg-cables/

GREAT SUGGESTION!

I just tried this on my Onkyo DP-S1. Works great!

Playback controls dont work though. That's fine. I have to control volume via my device which I prefer anyway.

IMG_20180908_095422.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #418 of 5,779
My Shanling M3S has a USB-C port as well, to charge and to connect to my computer for transfers. I've tried plugging Mobius to it yesterday, but the headphone defaults into Bluetooth mode. M3S has a bluetooth option too (including hi-res), which works excellent with Mobius, but I was curious about using USB-C connection. Did your Mobius automatically work in USB mode with your Onkyo DAP? I'll double check settings in M3S.
Edit: I found that I had to switch USB mode from "USB" to "DAC" in M3S. Unfortunately when headphones are connected and properly recognized as "USB" connection, no sound comes through.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #419 of 5,779
My Shanling M3S has a USB-C port as well, to charge and to connect to my computer for transfers. I've tried plugging Mobius to it yesterday, but the headphone defaults into Bluetooth mode. M3S has a bluetooth option too (including hi-res), which works excellent with Mobius, but I was curious about using USB-C connection. Did your Mobius automatically work in USB mode with your Onkyo DAP? I'll double check settings in M3S.
Edit: I found that I had to switch USB mode from "USB" to "DAC" in M3S. Unfortunately when headphones are connected and properly recognized as "USB" connection, no sound comes through.

For my Onkyo device, I just plugged it in using the USB OTG + USB-A to USB-C to the Mobius and a pop-up came up asking if I wanted to use the digital line out on the device. The Mobius automatically switched to USB with the voice prompt to confirm.

Sep 8, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #420 of 5,779
For my Onkyo device, I just plugged it in using the USB OTG + USB-A to USB-C to the Mobius and a pop-up came up asking if I wanted to use the digital line out on the device. The Mobius automatically switched to USB with the voice prompt to confirm.
Mobius connects as USB device, I think it's something on M3s side. In any event, as soon as I disconnect the USB cable, it switches to bluetooth mode and auto-connects to M3s via bluetooth in what seems like a nanosecond and starts playing the songs. Impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back