Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 3, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #166 of 5,780
Titanfall, an EA game specifically has a "7.1 audio" mode

there is a bump and microphone icon, this side faces your mouth. The "audeze" logo needs to face away from your mouth
Sorry, when I said EA, I meant "early access" games, I wasn't meaning to refer to the evil empire/enterprise arts. That said, your post illustrates the problems... different devs call their sound modes different things, and we have no idea what they really mean. Is home cinema a 7 channel signal? Or a 2 channel signal with some DSP thrown in for fun... know what I mean? It hasn't ever been as important to me as it is now that I have a device that ALSO has sound settings, and if you mix the wrong ones together... your squad will probably have to carry you because you won't know What is going on half of the time.

And yep, have confirmed that the correct side of the mic is towards my face hole. I am not complaining about mic volume at this point, rather I am stating that the monitoring volume is low for me because I am used to a different setup where I keep monitoring pretty high so as to be aware of ambient noise that would bother my squads. I can't yet say whether or not side tone is "too quiet" generally speaking, but I wouldn't complain if I could turn it up a bit. My squad didn't have a problem with my volume, but then the mic is in my mouth so that I can the side tone signal. Basically... in my case more testing is needed...

Sep 3, 2018 at 6:31 PM Post #167 of 5,780
First post on Head-Fi! Have been lurking and following the Mobius threads for a month as I wait for mine to ship.

My dominant game is PUBG and directional awareness is key, so very excited to try these. One thing that's been very hard for me to get good at in PUBG is peeking. Even after 600 hours, it's still very cumbersome, so I was thinking about ways to bind that to different keys and nothing has helped much. I have friends that have actually purchased driving sim pedals to overcome this same issue. I had an idea to place an accelerometer on my headset a year ago so that when I tilt my head to the side enough, that triggers a key binding that I map to peek left / right.

@Audeze - Have you considered anything like this? Essentially a head "gesture" macro function.

Edit: Spelling

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 6:54 PM Post #170 of 5,780
More impressions after listening to the Mobius a bit more:
- audio for music is distinctly not as good as Shure 846's...the Shure's have more base (down to 21Hz vs. 28Hz for the Mobius which is a bit of a surprise to me given the size of the drivers on the Mobius); vocals are better on the 846's as well....it's not just Shure's more forward vocals. This is just with the default settings...have to test the other ones next.
- surround sound is where the Mobius shines...watching movies is really like listening to speakers w/o a subwoofer (bass extension really does only sound like 30Hz to me). Even Transformers didn't have that much bass.
- surround works well in games
- tested the 20-20Khz sine waves on youtube audible range was 28-13kHz+19kHz on the Mobius and 21-12Khz+18-19Khz on the 846s...seems like I have some hearing damage from living in the city :frowning2:

It also defaults to 100% volume on Windows, not just the Mac...but this time I was ready for it so I didn't blow out my ears again :)

Sep 3, 2018 at 7:39 PM Post #172 of 5,780
That thread has been a trash fire for a long time, but it's somehow getting even worse. So much hate going on over there.
Its become a magnet for trolls and very lonely people. It should probably be closed after shipping backlog is cleared. Head-fi probably lost a quite a few potential new members if this was their first contact with the site :slight_frown:

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:43 PM Post #174 of 5,780
there is a bump and microphone icon, this side faces your mouth. The "audeze" logo needs to face away from your mouth

Yes, that's exactly what do. When the mic is plugged in in the correct orientation, it naturally curves that way toward the mouth. The problem is that unless the microphone is absolutely directly in front of my mouth within 1", the ambient noise rejection is so effective that it literally ignores my voice. I've tested it by calling my friend via google hangouts. He can't hear me at all until I'm nearly eating the microphone. There's no gentle curve from clear and loud to silent--it drops off rapidly from clear to nothing when moving the microphone slightly away from my mouth.

Sep 3, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #175 of 5,780
Anyone's system crash using the Mobius?
Second one I've hit... This time on windows. Yanked the Mobius and everything didn't work except mouse movement.
Other time I saw this was on a MacBook but that was a hard lock up without mouse movement...though it also happened disconnecting the Mobius too.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #176 of 5,780
Its become a magnet for trolls and very lonely people. It should probably be closed after shipping backlog is cleared. Head-fi probably lost a quite a few potential new members if this was their first contact with the site :slight_frown:

Yes, I've been reading through that thread since the beginning as a "guest" and I honestly thought some of those guys represented the majority in this community (based upon the dates they've joined). I frequent forums that have their share of trolls (Notebookreview) but that thread certainly reminds me of the common ones on Reddit. The good thing was the responses (some were actually funny) to those that were crying. I am happy there is a thread where those that are interested in knowing more about the Mobius don't have to waddle through the tears.

Anyway, going back into the shadows...reading.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:21 PM Post #177 of 5,780
Yes, I've been reading through that thread since the beginning as a "guest" and I honestly thought some of those guys represented the majority in this community (based upon the dates they've joined). I frequent forums that have their share of trolls (Notebookreview) but that thread certainly reminds me of the common ones on Reddit. The good thing was the responses (some were actually funny) to those that were crying. I am happy there is a thread where those that are interested in knowing more about the Mobius don't have to waddle through the tears.

Anyway, going back into the shadows...reading.
Welcome! Glad you stuck it out and realized that thread was not norm.

Sep 3, 2018 at 9:31 PM Post #178 of 5,780
So I got my Mobius on Sept. 1st and have been enjoying it quite a bit. I did have to go buy a longer cord since I wanted the mobius actually plugged into the motherboard. Haven't any problem with a hiss. I played a few rounds of Pubg and was quite impressed but the game that really did it for me is Alan Wake. That game has such phenomenal sound. Sadly I don't think you can get the game on PC anymore if someone is going to go looking for it. Something about music rights and the devs not paying to renew the rights. But I digress.

After initially testing of the mic using the google search I thought it was trash and was ready to head out and pick up a stand alone one. I had to turn the mic all the way up, which made the sidetone unbearable to me, and I had to have it right up to my mouth for the test software to recognize it. Before heading out I decided to ask one of my friends to hop in discord to test it out. Turns out it wasn't nearly as bad as I initially thought. I turned the mic down to about 60 which pretty much negated the sidetone and my buddy said I had good sound and clarity with the mic far enough away from my mouth so that I could take sips of a beverage without the mic getting hit. He did say there were moments my voice would fade. I was using push to talk so that may have had some to do with it.

As far as music goes I absolutely love the Hi-Res feature. Coupled with the Music EQ it is fantastic. Bluetooth worked perfectly on my iPhone 7. Quick question which I am sure has been answered but does Hi-Res not work on ACC? I couldn't get it to switch to it. I mean, it may not even matter as I might upgrade to the Note 9 but just in case I am missing something lol.

Overall for my first foray into a planar magnetic headphone, on top of all this other new stuff, I must say that I am quite impressed. $260 well spent!! Thanks @Audeze

edit* And yeah that other thread has become a dumpster fire. I want to unsub from it but it is like watching a train wreck. You just can't look away lol.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 10:02 PM Post #179 of 5,780
Very quick question for those of you who backed the campaign. Now that you have them in hand and have had a chance to use them would you have paid $400 for them ? Do you think that they fit the top spot in the $400 range ?

So many mixed opinions here and I see a lot more fault being addressed than praise. I am an Audeze fan so perhaps I will like them either way but I ordered mine from Audeze in June for $399 and since they won’t be shipping mine any time soon I can cancel my order and just walk away.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:16 PM Post #180 of 5,780
As far as music goes I absolutely love the Hi-Res feature. Coupled with the Music EQ it is fantastic. Bluetooth worked perfectly on my iPhone 7. Quick question which I am sure has been answered but does Hi-Res not work on ACC? I couldn't get it to switch to it. I mean, it may not even matter as I might upgrade to the Note 9 but just in case I am missing something lol.

I believe Hi-Res only works via USB, can someone else confirm that? I was looking for that as well when I was using mine on Bluetooth with my iPhone but I couldn't switch at all from 2-channel. I am using them right now on Hi-Res via USB on my Mac and they sound excellent though. They also sound great with Bluetooth too, so far I am quite impressed with these.

I'll be playing Destiny 2 the next few days with these too and will be testing everything out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back