Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Sep 2, 2018 at 6:03 PM Post #136 of 5,780
I got mine today, USB C to USB C doesnt seem to work as windows gets an error code (device not recognized?) when I plug directly to the motherboard usb c port and nothing at all comes up when plugged into the front usb c port. Probably an issue with the cable because USB C - USB A works fine.

edit; this was solved by updating drivers

Impressions on the sound;

It was hard to find any 7.1 content in a few quick searches so I gave up and watched the Ready Player One race scene on YT and it sounded great, I loved the 3d headtracking... But it was pretty quiet. a tad bit below my normal listening levels. IDK how to fix this issue outside of trying to go over 100% volume in the pc with some sort of systemwide software? If anyone has a solution, let me know... (edit; after longer listening and switching around the modes more, I found 80% to be pushing comofort on 3d 7.1 mode)
Looking for true 7.1 content, I remembered The Division had extensive options when it came to audio/video and sure enough, I switched to 'home cinema' and a game I've played 600 hours in became completely new to me. Everything sounded so much more... impactful? deep? detailed? all of the above haha. I was blown away by everything but the grenades, but they always sounded dull so I dont blame mobius.
So far my preset is Music. I imagine for what I'll be using them for, I'll stick with 7.1 3D anytime on PC and HI RES mode when using my nokia bluetooth. Don't feel like using 2ch + head tracking while mobile.
As far as listening to music, I loaded up Bassnectar - timestretch because it's been pretty successful in stressing out base on any setup I've tried them on but still sounds good enough. Everything's pretty clear, I've enjoyed the song on modded shp9500, k7xx, Kef Q300s, and my car's harmon kardon 7.1 system. M50's sounded very meh with the song. Out of all of these, Mobius is the most enjoyable to listen to with base heavy songs like timestretch imo.

Comfort;

When I first put them on they were extremely clampy and hurt the top of my head, at the moment though, they are fairly comfy and I've got no complaints.

Other thoughts;

pads will definitely cause sweating in any sort of heat.
the cord is janky and sticks out at an awkward angle, within vision... this bothers me but only temporary.
the instruction book is huge but it's in many different languages. English has 7 pages and 1 quick start guide.
battery was at 95% when I opened everything up.
edit; sidetone volume can be lowered until inaudible so no worries to people that don't want to hear it. when full audio was on with Timestretch, I couldn't even hear sidetone at the loudest volume
edit 2; Forgot to mention I dont hear any hissing whatsoever. When I first turned it on, it was an extremely quiet hiss but I didn't hear it after that regardless of input type or whether something was playing or not

Any questions? feel free to reply

Kozio, which driver did you update to get the usb-c to recognize the Mobius, was it the chipset?

Thanks

Sep 2, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #137 of 5,780
First impressions for me are not so good. I like the effects and head tracking. Don't like the sound signature at all. It's not loud enough when EQ'ed. Needs more gain.
Has a nice tight seal around my ears. Fits nicely around my head. The included case is nice. But that is about it for me. Gonna have to direct drive these headphones to enjoy them, included bypassing the built in amps.

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #138 of 5,780
First impressions for me are not so good. I like the effects and head tracking. Don't like the sound signature at all. It's not loud enough when EQ'ed. Needs more gain.
Has a nice tight seal around my ears. Fits nicely around my head. The included case is nice. But that is about it for me. Gonna have to direct drive these headphones to enjoy them, included bypassing the built in amps.

In my testing of measuring a 300Hz sinewave, the gain/losses between EQs was probably only +/- 2-3dB. 1V of power should be plenty of power. Is your source volume set low?

You can't directly amp the headphones because of the way it is designed. Everything gets processed through the internal amp.

For me, I'm using 10-20% windows volume on my PC in virtual mode or 2Ch Hi-Res mode. On bluetooth, im around 35-60% using Android.

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #139 of 5,780
Got mine yesterday with only a few hours to test, so these are limited impressions as all I have done is game on PC with USB-C input.

1) I hear NO hiss, like NONE. It was so quiet in Discord when no one was talking that I kept thinking the headphones had turned off. Not sure if it is there in other modes yet, but not in USB-C for me! I am 42 y/o though, and a competitive shooter (who ALWAYS wears ear protection, but still),I was on subs in the USN (they are really loud, you have to wear ear plugs at all times while on board), AND I have been to hundreds of concerts like NIN, Tool, White and Rob Zombies, Pantera, etc. typically in the pit right next to the loudspeakers... and never wore hearing protection. My theory is that I have a tad of hearing loss lol.

2) This is the first time I have had to read the instructions for a piece of gear in a really long time. This is definitely an RTFM piece of equipment. Hopefully as the product evolves there will be a way to make it more intuitive, but not a big deal really.

3) PUBG was the only game I tested (schedule squad drills, so no time for anything else), and it had HRTF on by default which I forgot about. With Mobius 3D on, trying to follow sound queues is a worthless pursuit. As mentioned above, one or the other needs to be turned off. Once Mobius 3D is on and PUBG HRTF is off... I agree that overhead queues are not great, and while other sound is extremely well localized... if you are not used to head tracking, and your head is turned even a little bit, it will REALLY throw you off. I have a 34" 1440p UW, and I turn my head a bit more than I thought... this will take time to get used to before coming up with a verdict.

4) I tried a few of the presets for gaming (footsteps sounds like exactly what I would want), ballistics, and then flat, etc. I can't really tell that much of a difference :frowning2:.

5) Side tone IMHO isn't a big deal... it is extremely quiet for me. I have my mic volume at 100% and I can hear the monitoring signal, but it is much quieter than what I am used to when monitoring my output from a preamp/mixer. IMHO people that are worried about this feature should wait until they try them before worrying, it may be a nonissue. Give it at least 10-20 hours of usage before deciding you hate it. Then again, this could be my maybe deaf problem again (although my hearing tests out fine).

6) My gain does indeed seem to be quite low for the headphones as well... I ended up playing with all PUBG sliders at 100% (music at 0% though), and still had Mobius at around 85ish %. I think this could be a PUBG problem that I have already been dealing with as I need to have my Discord volume at 20% or so (out of a possible 200%) to normalize it relative to PUBG at 100%. I will know this pretty quickly once I do more things with them.

7) There is a PUBG modification somewhere that will enable PUBG to output 7.1 sound. I will be looking for that asap, maybe it will address some of the sound localization issues I heard which I believe are PUBG problems and not Mobius problems.

8) It is weird to me that the mic volume wheel will only change the EQ setting once before needing to be pushed again. Another not a big deal thing, but not a typical UX design decision in my experience. E.g. I push it, scroll one click, and EQ goes to the next setting. I scroll again and my mic turns up/down. I have to push it again to activate the EQ settings change. I feel it would be more intuitive if it stayed in the EQ changing mode for say 3-5 seconds after a short press. Or even better... a more intuitive arrangement would be to have the mic mute when you push the mic volume wheel, and have a button where the current mic switch is (or somewhere else, that mic mute button is in a weird place) that would cycle through the EQ presets. But I am just armchair quarterbacking here...

9) According to my squad mates, the mic sounds great! They wouldn't tell me better or worse than my "Heil PR40->Focusrite ISA One->Yammy MG12XU" setup, just different. That is pretty amazing and I very much expected a decrease in quality. I haven't done any recordings yet where I will hear it for myself, test for plosives, sound rejection, etc. but so far so good!

10) I normally play with HD800 (original, unmodded) ->HA-1 acting as my gaming PCs DAC via USB. The two sound signatures are OF COURSE quite different. The Mobius have a much smaller sound stage as expected, which might actually be a good thing for gaming. Their sound also feels a lot thinner which is weird, I need to check those measurement charts but I think there is a hole somewhere in the mids (or my brain is used to the midrange boost in the HD800s). I love the HD800s because of their excellent imaging and impact. The soundstage isn't necessary (and maybe not a good thing) for competitive games as things can sound farther away than they really are. Mobius does pretty damn good at imaging too while having a smaller sound stage which might fix that problem... but I haven't done any near real time A/B testing to see which is more suited to competitive play though.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 12:50 AM Post #140 of 5,780
5) Side tone IMHO isn't a big deal... it is extremely quiet for me. I have my mic volume at 100% and I can hear the monitoring signal, but it is much quieter than what I am used to when monitoring my output from a preamp/mixer. IMHO people that are worried about this feature should wait until they try them before worrying, it may be a nonissue. Give it at least 10-20 hours of usage before deciding you hate it. Then again, this could be my maybe deaf problem again (although my hearing tests out fine).

It's really bad for me. For whatever reason I need to have windows volume at max, discord volume at max, and the headset volume at max for people to hear me, and I hear my breathing a LOT in my headphones. If I shout or laugh loudly or anything it is super loud. This is an absolutely needs to be fixed sort of issue for me. I wouldn't honestly care that much about the louder hiss that they fixed (I barely notice it, so they definitely did a good job apparently).

Sep 3, 2018 at 3:51 AM Post #141 of 5,780
It's really bad for me. For whatever reason I need to have windows volume at max, discord volume at max, and the headset volume at max for people to hear me, and I hear my breathing a LOT in my headphones. If I shout or laugh loudly or anything it is super loud. This is an absolutely needs to be fixed sort of issue for me. I wouldn't honestly care that much about the louder hiss that they fixed (I barely notice it, so they definitely did a good job apparently).
There is something else going on. The headphone at 100% would be really loud. Call our customer support line on tuesday and we will check you if we can trouble shoot this.

Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/
Sep 3, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #142 of 5,780
I’ve looked through about half of this thread and while there is pretty much consensus that going with the AKG k712 pro and gsx1000 would be great for gaming I’m in love with the isine20s and am considering just going for the mobius.

Has there been a detailed comparison (if possible) between the two headphones for gaming, and general music listening? Couldn’t find anything too specific.

Sep 3, 2018 at 10:35 AM Post #144 of 5,780
Double check your windows microphone levels, it sounds like that could be your issue. Screenshots below to help guide you through it if you need help.

lIDfk1H.png
>>>
4DHetV1.png
>>>
sSomwZ7.png

Edit: Also the microphone device for the Mobius will likely be named different, I don't have my Mobius yet so I can't give you a more exact walkthrough, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2018 at 11:09 AM Post #145 of 5,780
Double check your windows microphone levels, it sounds like that could be your issue. Screenshots below to help guide you through it if you need help.

lIDfk1H.png
>>>
4DHetV1.png
>>>
sSomwZ7.png

Edit: Also the microphone device for the Mobius will likely be named different, I don't have my Mobius yet so I can't give you a more exact walkthrough, unfortunately.

Yes that is the setting I called the windows volume in my original comment. Oddly the Mobius windows settings doesn't have the boost slider.

Sep 3, 2018 at 12:38 PM Post #148 of 5,780
I lost a few brain cells reading the main thread. Audeze doesn't deserve that level of idiocy on a main thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back