Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Nov 2, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #4,398 of 5,780
3d on without headtracking or 3d off wheb using bluetooth and watching movies? And wich presets is best?

Ps:the update worked well :)
For me it's 3-D on with headtracking, Auto mode (works best since firmware V5), no matter which connection.
This is what makes Mobius stand out from the crowd.
Headtracking is what makes the 3-D illusion convincing.
Without HT it's not giving better out-of-head-localisation than any other HRTF based 3-D simulation, this simply doesn't work for me without Headtracking.
Mobius 3-D is still better without Headtracking in not making the treble colored, shrill and dull (at the same time!) like most other HRTF based variation, even real Dummy-Head-recordings.

Important to set your head dimensions in the AUDEZE HQ App.

EQ preset since FW5: "Flat" most of the time.
Before I preferred "Music", but the sound signature of all presets changed to more bass with the latest firmware V5:

"Warm" is even darker.
A question of personal preferences.

There are 2 preset pairs that are doublicates soundwise, only with slightly different levels which makes them sound different in the first place.
@KMann too:
I already asked AUDEZE to use the slots for sound variations, specially a brighter preset.
See below.
Measurement: Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153
The curves are level normalized at 2 kHz, Ballistics = Racing, Default = Flat:
IMG_1204.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 10:28 AM Post #4,399 of 5,780
INTRODUCING MY HEADPHOENES MEASUREMENT SYSTEM

I just finished the process of creating a compensation curve for my pinnae based headphone measurement system.
(My other measurement system is based on the Bruel&Kjaer Artificial Ear 4153 which works without compensation, but does not always show results that can transfer to the real world).

The goal was to get detailed results that represent how headphones do sound in reality, even in the critical high frequency range.

To reach this required lots of measurements, decisions and testing.
Mechanically the Dummy is based on a copy of my own pinnae made from silicon.
The measurement microphone is located at, and seals the ear-canal-entrance.

The compensation curve is based on three parts:

- Multi position measurement of the Dummy's HRTF in a real, extremely high quality listening environment, with focus on the direct sound that originates from the speakers.
Of course the speakers were measured with a traditional measurement microphone too, and this was used as compensation for this measurement.

- Measurement of 30 highend headphones.

- Slight correction based on experience and listening tests.

According bass frequency response target:
There is no Harman Type Target Curve bass boost included in the compensation, the range below 1.6 kHz is a flat line.
My measurement will show a Headphone's real objective frequency response in the bass.
My system does not have any irregularities below 1.6 kHz, so no compensation needed there.
In my opinion, this way it's much easier to interpret what's going on in the low frequency range.
If headphones have a bass boost I want to see it and not the boost being eliminated by a Harman bass target curve.
Neither I want to see a rolloff on a headphone like the AUDEZE LCD2 which objectively does reach down to 5 Hz without drop in level.
I think the amount and shape of a needed bass boost is very personal, and very much depends on the music style and loudness level people use the headphones with.
There is no place for personal taste in objective measurements, as far as this is possible with headphones.

Now comes the Mobius related part:
Here is what I get when I measure the Mobius, for comparison along with two very famous high end headphones - with completely different constructions!
The well known characteristics of each of those is clearly visible in detail, and the curves speak for themselves.
Watch out for the unusual fine scale of only 1 dB/line, making detailed observations much easier.

Green: STAX SR-009
Orange: AUDEZE Mobius Firmware V5, Flat preset with 3-D off.
Blue: Sennheiser HD-800S

IMG_1298.PNG

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #4,400 of 5,780
Just a question for the Mobius owners,

looking for a wireless gaming and movies headset primarily and was wondering if this would be better than the Amiron wireless. I have head the amiron before but i just felt they lacked a little bass but the clarity and forward voices was amazing on the amirons. I am looking for amiron with more bass basically but wireless.

Thanks

Nov 3, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #4,401 of 5,780

looking for a wireless gaming and movies headset primarily and was wondering if this would be better than the Amiron wireless. I have head the amiron before but i just felt they lacked a little bass but the clarity and forward voices was amazing on the amirons. I am looking for amiron with more bass basically but wireless.

Thanks

I dont have the amiron wireless,but just got the amiron home.I also have mobius.For me the mobius is much better for movies.They have better bass and much more options.Ive been testing the 3d mode this evening after recomandation here.Ive been testing 3d on,auto,and flat,and are absolutely thrilled :) They sound amazing.Saw dark knight rises on netflix :)

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #4,402 of 5,780

Thanks

Wireless Gaming still just refuses to work if my 'microphone' input is enabled. As soon as I disable the microphone input I can hear audio but it's not that great compared to wired.

Nov 8, 2019 at 7:29 AM Post #4,403 of 5,780
This might be a problem of the BT profiles.
If the micro is on, the HSP/HFP profile is used with very poor audio capabilities for phone calls.
If the Micro is off, the A2DP profile can be used, allowing stereo and better codecs.

Nov 8, 2019 at 8:33 PM Post #4,404 of 5,780
I've found a similar problem with most BT headphones if they aren't plugged in directly.

Nov 11, 2019 at 6:52 AM Post #4,405 of 5,780
Hi guys. Sorry for my English. I have a few questions. Is the box with new headphones wrapped in plastic or something like that? (Just to be sure that i will have a new pair) and am i losing too much by using them just with an iPhone through Bluetooth? (SQ or features wise) vs USB? Thank you.

Nov 12, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #4,407 of 5,780
Hi guys. Sorry for my English. I have a few questions. Is the box with new headphones wrapped in plastic or something like that? (Just to be sure that i will have a new pair) and am i losing too much by using them just with an iPhone through Bluetooth? (SQ or features wise) vs USB? Thank you.

With SQ, there will be a difference between using AAC bluetooth and USB at the maximum bitrate, but I honestly don't think it's that bad. It much more depends on the files you are playing. But if you try to connect to a PC via bluetooth, it will probably only have the lowest-quality SDC codec. For features, you can adjust all the different 3D modes and EQ preset on the headset itself. You can NOT change the HRTF measurements (head size, etc) unless you use connect the headphones to a PC and use the app. IMHO, these measurements don't do that much, and it isn't a huge loss if you don't adjust them. If you only use "3D off", then the measurements don't matter.

I can't remember if my box was wrapped in plastic or not.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #4,409 of 5,780
I really like the mobius for portable listening now that the latest firmware has balanced the frequencies better. I guess the style is more gamer oriented but I've changed the pads to black angled pads so it's a lot less blue than it would be normally so it blends in a bit better.

On the whole I think it's great having an all round set of planar magnetic headphones that I can use for gaming and sound great for music. So many connectivity options.

I have to say though I have mostly been using Dolby Atmos on these for gaming as I find the 3D imaging better. It's easier to tell the distance of things compared to the built in WavesNX, but I realise there has been a lot of work out into the built in 3D so that it sounds great for music for those who are into that sort of thing. Personally I tend to go with the high Def stereo mode as I'm more used to having the sounds come from each ear rather than in front of me but that's down to personal taste.

Nov 12, 2019 at 2:29 PM Post #4,410 of 5,780
I really like the mobius for portable listening now that the latest firmware has balanced the frequencies better. I guess the style is more gamer oriented but I've changed the pads to black angled pads so it's a lot less blue than it would be normally so it blends in a bit better.

On the whole I think it's great having an all round set of planar magnetic headphones that I can use for gaming and sound great for music. So many connectivity options.

I have to say though I have mostly been using Dolby Atmos on these for gaming as I find the 3D imaging better. It's easier to tell the distance of things compared to the built in WavesNX, but I realise there has been a lot of work out into the built in 3D so that it sounds great for music for those who are into that sort of thing. Personally I tend to go with the high Def stereo mode as I'm more used to having the sounds come from each ear rather than in front of me but that's down to personal taste.

I have actually recently switched back to using my sennheiser gsx1000 and game 1 headset because I find the gsx virtualization better than waves at determining direction (especially when sounds are coming from behind). I do however find myself wishing there was a solution with gsx and head tracking as I am sure that would boost it to yet another level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back