Audeze Mobius review / impressions
Aug 19, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #4,112 of 5,780
Which firmware are you using?

When you say overdriven, is it slightly overdriven or completely distorted so it's very difficult to hear what is being played through it? if it's the latter I often have to unplug and replug the mobius back in when switching between modes, or if I plug it in to my PC when the Mobius is switched on.
Had to update my software. From what I can see: USB:102, MCU: 1.70, DSP: 25. I tried unplugging and plugging the cable back in and power cycling and neither worked. And what I mean by overdriven is distortion on the high and low end. Some examples: No Man's Sky and Street Fighter V have a lot of lfe hits that end up causing clipping frequently and high frequency sound is mostly crunchy. This happens even at low volume. It's not pleasant at all. This doesn't happen in hi res mode.

Aug 19, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #4,113 of 5,780
Had to update my software. From what I can see: USB:102, MCU: 1.70, DSP: 25. I tried unplugging and plugging the cable back in and power cycling and neither worked. And what I mean by overdriven is distortion on the high and low end. Some examples: No Man's Sky and Street Fighter V have a lot of lfe hits that end up causing clipping frequently and high frequency sound is mostly crunchy. This happens even at low volume. It's not pleasant at all. This doesn't happen in hi res mode.

So it is clipping. How are you connected? Usb? Are there any sound enhancements enabled like volume boosts or eq or anything like that? What happens if you reset your windows sound profile when you are in that mode?

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:08 PM Post #4,114 of 5,780
After successfully checking the USB surround sound capabilities of my smartphone, that can be found here
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cre...phone-holography.869663/page-47#post-15128953
I checked how the Mobius handles 5.1 audio from a smartphone.

It had a really strange behaviour.
During my first check I can hear all sound nearly only from the left cup. Manually setting 3D didn't help.
Automatic was not even better and "3D off" only produced sound from the left.

Later I found out that "Manual 3D" with a manual centering while I turned 90° to the left did the job.
All sound came from the expected directions. But this is not the way I want to use it.

Does somebody make such experiences.
I dont't know which FW I have and can't update it while Audeze HQ has the update feature disabled.

When I move with Mobius connected to my smartphone all head tracking is unwanted.
While sitting at my dektop PC I would connect the Mobius to it instead to my smartphone.

So the mobius would not be my first choice for mobile music listening and the Creative Sxfi would get the job.
I tried it again after "calibration with Audeze HQ. Unfortunately I don't have a FW update. My version is 1.55.
The appearance is the same. In manual mode the soundfield is rotated to the left and can be corrected by manual centering while looking left..
In "3D OF" all come from the left and in "3d ON" (the wished mode for me) it can't be corrected.

Aug 19, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #4,115 of 5,780
Mine are peeling a little, but I was sort of expecting that to happen, especially with the finish on the headphones and even more so after having them for nearly a year with at least 4 hours usage daily :)

Any updates on the new firmware at all? Last we heard it was being certified by MS.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #4,117 of 5,780
Well... Used my Mobius yesterday. They wont work today. Battery is 100%, they connect both USB and Bluetooth, but zero sound comes out of them on two different computers. Not even the lady saying power on, power off, bluetooth etc. Just nothing. Both computers think they are working 100% and will play music but nothing comes out.

Anyone run into this?

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2019 at 3:48 PM Post #4,118 of 5,780
Well... Used my Mobius yesterday. They wont work today. Battery is 100%, they connect both USB and Bluetooth, but zero sound comes out of them on two different computers. Not even the lady saying power on, power off, bluetooth etc. Just nothing. Both computers think they are working 100% and will play music but nothing comes out.

Anyone run into this?

Are you sure they are charged? Sometimes if you leave them plugged in to a computer overnight they will discharge.

If you need to charge them overnight, it's best to use a USB wall adapter.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #4,119 of 5,780
Are you sure they are charged? Sometimes if you leave them plugged in to a computer overnight they will discharge.

If you need to charge them overnight, it's best to use a USB wall adapter.

Yeah even the app says 100%, lights turn blue. It will show connected or disconnected when I plug and unplug the usb. Also shows connected and disconnected via bluetooth. So its got power. Just zero sound comes out. I have them on right now letting the battery drain as powering them on and off has done nothing.

Had them plugged in USB and it turns red charging, so pretty sure power is fine. Just seems something broke. They worked last night and they just sat there over night and dead today.

Aug 19, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #4,120 of 5,780
Yeah even the app says 100%, lights turn blue. It will show connected or disconnected when I plug and unplug the usb. Also shows connected and disconnected via bluetooth. So its got power. Just zero sound comes out. I have them on right now letting the battery drain as powering them on and off has done nothing.

Had them plugged in USB and it turns red charging, so pretty sure power is fine. Just seems something broke. They worked last night and they just sat there over night and dead today.

I always have to turn the volume up after switching then on, they default quite low.

Aug 19, 2019 at 4:01 PM Post #4,121 of 5,780
I always have to turn the volume up after switching then on, they default quite low.

yeah tried that both headset and computers. They show 60+ and the dial on the headphones will move the setting on my PC. it all seems to be working as expected, but zero sound comes out. Biggest thing for me is that the voice saying power on, power off, is also not there. Sounds like something broke to me sadly. Was just hoping there is a hard reset or something I didnt see.

They are only a few weeks old.

Aug 19, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #4,123 of 5,780
So it is clipping. How are you connected? Usb? Are there any sound enhancements enabled like volume boosts or eq or anything like that? What happens if you reset your windows sound profile when you are in that mode?
I'm connected through USB mostly with occasional Bluetooth. I don't run any other sound enhancement other than the hd settings. Funny thing, a lot of the clipping went away in 3D mode after updating the software (but not the firmware). It's still there, but it's much better than before. I really have no idea what's going on with these headphones hahaha

Aug 20, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #4,124 of 5,780
I've had my Mobius for almost a year, and I love it for its excellent sound and bluetooth quality. The one thing I'm disappointed about is the soft-touch finish peeling.
After less than a year, there is a section of peeling finish covering 1/3 of the headband. As a disclaimer, I do set the headphones down on my desk when I'm not using them, but it's not like I'm throwing them on the desk or dragging them.
FfNEJTq.jpg

It looks worse in person than it does in the picture because the flaking is more apparent. Is anyone else getting this? I might start setting them down in their carrying case instead of my desk from now on to keep it from getting worse.

Mine is the same if not worse. With normal use:
- Finish has starting peeling away
- Headband lost it's form
- Swivel clasp has microfractures so much so that the slide is broken.

Because I was an Indigogo purchaser and reside in the UK I have to ship and insure to send it to the USA which costs a pretty penny. Audeze offer no warranty replacement with distributors in the UK.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:04 AM Post #4,125 of 5,780
@KMann - Audeze gives a warning that excessive levels can damage the analog input, but they do not tell at which level this happens.
I guess it's way beyond the mentioned 1.8V, meaning that usual preamps or headphone amps will not damage Mobius.

Our lab tells me 2VRMS sustained is the maximum safe voltage that will not damage the DSP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back