Audeze - MM-Series - MM-500
Aug 24, 2022 at 2:36 AM Post #151 of 364
Yes.
I didnt compare the HD800S to any Audeze headphone, as the Audeze system is all about Bass SIZE.
So, as i said, the HD800S gets a bad rap, regarding bass quantity, and while its not going to be an Audeze regarding Low End, (except for the LCD-5 which is not a typical Audeze Bass response).....it is also true that the HD800S out of the box sits very loose on the head, and once you solve that, then a beautiful audiophile balanced bass is yours for the cost of the gear :)
Ive owned all the Audeze Headphones, except for the LCD-4. But, the LCD-4Z yes.
My first favorite Headphone is the Original LCD-X, that sounds nothing like the new or recent LCD-X.
Perhaps I misunderstand, but I thought one of the attributes of an open headphone design is that "seal" per se is less crucial to bass performance, since even if they sit flush to the ears there is an open grill precluding a full seal the way closed backs or IEM's seal.

Aug 24, 2022 at 3:34 AM Post #152 of 364
Perhaps I misunderstand, but I thought one of the attributes of an open headphone design is that "seal" per se is less crucial to bass performance, since even if they sit flush to the ears there is an open grill precluding a full seal the way closed backs or IEM's seal.
That's not correct. Open headphones still separate the ear side from the outside with the headphone speaker diaphragm and the earpads. A port may provide partial sealing only. A closed back headphone minimizes leakage of the sound in to and from the "outside" by enclosing the area between the diaphragm and the outside.

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #153 of 364

Seal is most crucial regarding Bass Response.
If the seal is not good the bass will not be correctly heard.
This is the case with a few headphones whose seal has to be "adjusted" or you lose punch, "slam", depth, extension, down low.
The HD800S is one of those, as if the seal isn't "Lightly snug" then you get more soundstage then you need, and you lose what is a very good bass response, tho its never going to be what made the Audeze gear so unique. Its not too much bass as you get with many Audeze Headphones, but its a very Audiophile styled bass where its very balanced ,

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 9:11 AM Post #154 of 364
Seal is most crucial regarding Bass Response.
If the seal is not good the bass will not be correctly heard.
This is the case with a few headphones whose seal has to be "adjusted" or you lose punch, "slam", depth, extension, down low.
The HD800S is one of those, as if the seal isn't "Lightly snug" then you get more soundstage then you need, and you lose what is a very good bass response, tho its never going to be what made the Audeze gear so unique. Its not too much bass as you get with many Audeze Headphones, but its a very Audiophile styled bass where its very balanced ,
The idea of Audeze headphones having "too much bass" is completely wrong. Every LCD has linear bass. Not elevated, not recessed. Just a ruler flat response from 1khz all the way down to 20hz.

The HD800/S, no matter how well you seal it, will always have recessed bass after 40hz. There is no way around it, and pretty much everyone knows this by now. So no point in arguing about it on an Audeze thread, lets get it back on topic.

Aug 24, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #155 of 364
The idea of Audeze headphones having "too much bass" is completely wrong.

You must not be familiar with the term "bass head".
This is a person who likes headphones with an over abundance of bass.
The "bass head" is a person who likes too much low end "slam", = a elevated bass or low end.
If you read a lot of reviews, you'll notice that many reviewer subtract points from a gear because it does not have enough "bass slam" or low end "punch".
They are not looking for balance or "audiophile" they are looking for "i want to FEEL that KICK and that LOW END SLAM".
Audeze are known for this "sound sig".., as its their trademark, which is why the LCD-5 and now regarding the MM500 = are a departure from the usual Audeze "house sound".

Whereas Hifiman sound signature is the opposite. They are known for elevated treble and their somewhat unusual midrange that tends to be a bit thin.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #156 of 364
from a personal observation I wouldn't call the Audeze sound sig a bass head phone.... it does have bass but its more balanced to the other freq than say a HD800 ...
you want to hear a bass head phone then try out the abyss.. the bass on the audeze isn't bloated at all... in fact for those that understand EQ will always add a bass shelf on most Audeze phones... at least I don't think I have ever read where anyone suggests pulling the bass down with EQ...

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #157 of 364
from a personal observation I wouldn't call the Audeze sound sig a bass head phone....
I also would not classify the Audeze "House sound', as a bass head sound.
However, Audeze is known for their low end thickness and slam.
Their LCD-5 and MX-4, and apparently the recent MM500 are a departure from the thick low end that was the Audeze Trademark.
Actually and also, they trimmed back the low end in their recent sonic remodel of the LCD-X. Thats when i first actually noticed it.
The MX-4 was always designed to be less bass response, as that model is designed primarily for mixing music in the Studio, as is the MM500

Aug 24, 2022 at 6:49 PM Post #159 of 364
We should list phones that have more bass than LCD-X.
From full size phones I had it's only Fostex TH-600.

The Raal-requisite Ca-1A has better Bass, its definitely more full then the New LCD-X
Sony Z71 has good bottom, more then the New LCD-"X"
LCD-2 has good low end, and is larger then the "X".
LCD-4 has a more then the X
LCD-4Z has more.
LCD-24 has more.
Campfire Cascade is a true Bass Canon..
T+A Solitaire P-SE has more bass then the LCD-X
Hifiman HE1000v2 and the Edition X v2 seem to have more, but its so different... its a close call.
Final Audio D8000 is close or very slightly more.
Focal Stellia has more bass then the LCD-X
Focal Utopia Has more bass then the X.
Meze Empyrean has more.
Most of the ZMF gear has more low end then the "New" LCD-X, including the Verite Closed.

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 7:14 PM Post #160 of 364
The Kennerton Gjallarhorn JM Edition MK II has unbelievable bass quality & quantity !!

Aug 24, 2022 at 7:44 PM Post #161 of 364
I think LCD-2f and LCD-5 both have more bass than LCD-X Only because they’re more extended in that region and have less upper treble. DCA noire has more bass as well but it’s obviously coloured in that region.

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:24 PM Post #163 of 364
Aug 24, 2022 at 8:28 PM Post #164 of 364
Surprised nobody mentioned Beats by Dr. Dre. :laughing:
Haha, or just about every wireless noise-cancelling set on the market. Audio Technica ATH M50…

Aug 24, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #165 of 364

Users who are viewing this thread

Back