Audeze LCD2 wood versus Humidity
May 21, 2012 at 11:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

New Head-Fier
Hi, 
Currently, I am considering to buy the Audeze LCD2
However, the only thing that I am worried about is the place where I stay.

My room has quite high level of humidity (tropical area with no air conditioner at all)
Hence, I am worried that I will grow a colony of fungus on the LCD2's woods.

Any suggestion?

Thanks! :)

May 22, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 27
Quote:
Hi, 
Currently, I am considering to buy the Audeze LCD2
However, the only thing that I am worried about is the place where I stay.

My room has quite high level of humidity (tropical area with no air conditioner at all)
Hence, I am worried that I will grow a colony of fungus on the LCD2's woods.

Any suggestion?

Thanks! :)

I am curious about this too, I live by the water so its humid in the summer, and my ac is not working and I don't have the money too fix it because I keep buying headphones
atsmile.gif
I have had my lcd2s for a while but I got them in the winter so they have not been exposed too real humidity yet.

May 22, 2012 at 2:30 AM Post #3 of 27
I am living in tropical country Indonesia , we have very high humidity and dust

We do not have any problem with ours LCD 2 rev 0, rev 1 ans rev 2 , since we had already more than 2 years our LCD 2 rev 0 with donuts earpads .

For all orthos driver we do not have problem , we have problem only with electrostatic headphones like Stax agains humidity and dust .

May 22, 2012 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 27
Quote:
Quote:

I am living in tropical country Indonesia , we have very high humidity and dust
We do not have any problem with ours LCD 2 rev 0, rev 1 ans rev 2 , since we had already more than 2 years our LCD 2 rev 0 with donuts earpads .
For all orthos driver we do not have problem , we have problem only with electrostatic headphones like Stax agains humidity and dust .

Hi Rudy, so we come from the same country.. Yes, i am not worried about the drivers. My question is about the Rosewood/Bamboo that Audeze has. Have you tried  leaving them on high humidity condition without aircon? Secondly, does Audeze cover the woods with some polisher? (like guitars for example) or just a plain wood? 
Thanks once more! :)

May 22, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #5 of 27
If your super concerned about humidity affecting the wood why dont you wait till reviews for the hd700s come out too see if there good, I dont think humidity affects plastic too much.

May 22, 2012 at 3:05 AM Post #6 of 27
Hi Rudy, so we come from the same country.. Yes, i am not worried about the drivers. My question is about the Rosewood/Bamboo that Audeze has. Have you tried  leaving them on high humidity condition without aircon? Secondly, does Audeze cover the woods with some polisher? (like guitars for example) or just a plain wood? 
Thanks once more! :)

Are you member from audiophile Indonesia forum ?

If yes , maybe you know Calico , he has Audeze LCD 2 rev 0 ,he never put his LCD 2 rev 0 Indry box , the driver and his woody until now is in good condition

Audeze supply only with Lemon oil to protect your wood

For the Bamboo I do not have experience , since this is the latest version from LCD 2 rev 3.

May 22, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #7 of 27
Humidity in tropical climates should not affect wood material too much and is not an issue to worry about. Most loudspeakers in various wood veneers can last for decades, though to restore the lustre and shine on the wood surface suitable oils are sometimes used on them.

In non-airconditioned environments, one should worry more on the earpads in humid tropical climates. As the earpad touches the human skin, sweat will stick on earpad with prolonged listening sessions. Fabric and/or velour earpads are more susceptible to damage in hot and humid conditions but I suppose this isn't an issue with the Audeze as the headphones come in leather earpads. Just a simple swipe with a damp cloth will do.

May 22, 2012 at 3:30 AM Post #8 of 27
Quote:
Humidity in tropical climates should not affect wood material too much and is not an issue to worry about. Most loudspeakers in various wood veneers can last for decades, though to restore the lustre and shine on the wood surface suitable oils are sometimes used on them.

In non-airconditioned environments, one should worry more on the earpads in humid tropical climates. As the earpad touches the human skin, sweat will stick on earpad with prolonged listening sessions. Fabric and/or velour earpads are more susceptible to damage in hot and humid conditions but I suppose this isn't an issue with the Audeze as the headphones come in leather earpads. Just a simple swipe with a damp cloth will do.

Thank you for your explanation! :)

May 22, 2012 at 3:46 AM Post #9 of 27
Generally, woods are hygroscopic and will always respond to changes in humidity. It's one of the main reasons why violins and cellos must be kept in a case so it doesn't get hot or cold causing its voice to change. The headphone cups are meant to control resonance but wooden cups do experience change in respect to humidity (which is why Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic don't use wooden cups).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

May 22, 2012 at 4:30 AM Post #10 of 27
Quote:
Generally, woods are hygroscopic and will always respond to changes in humidity. It's one of the main reasons why violins and cellos must be kept in a case so it doesn't get hot or cold causing its voice to change. The headphone cups are meant to control resonance but wooden cups do experience change in respect to humidity (which is why Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic don't use wooden cups).

Correct me if I'm wrong.

Wood is a natural material so it will age with time. Perhaps that is what you meant by wood responding to humidity levels. It will only age with appearance, and that is the reason restoration is necessary to bring the wood back to its original form. It will take years for wood to age though.

Not too sure about violins or cellos being kept in cases or other headphone manufacturers resorting to non-wood material for the cup construction though. There can be other reasons why Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic opt for material other than wood for the construction of their headphones.

May 22, 2012 at 5:28 AM Post #11 of 27
Quote:
 It's one of the main reasons why violins and cellos must be kept in a case so it doesn't get hot or cold causing its voice to change.

Are you sure about that? I thought the casing for violins or cellos is mainly for transportation purposes, to carry them around to other places. Some folks display their beautiful violins, violas or cellos in their homes(without being kept in cases).

May 22, 2012 at 5:41 AM Post #12 of 27
Quote:

Wood is a natural material so it will age with time. Perhaps that is what you meant by wood responding to humidity levels. It will only age with appearance, and that is the reason restoration is necessary to bring the wood back to its original form. It will take years for wood to age though.

Not too sure about violins or cellos being kept in cases or other headphone manufacturers resorting to non-wood material for the cup construction though. There can be other reasons why Sennheiser or Beyerdynamic opt for material other than wood for the construction of their headphones.

Well, all I know is that violins will develop cracks when the temperature's too high. And when that happens, the violin is stuffed. Ever heard of a piano dehumidifier? Wood will stretch and contract in response to climate. High humidity can damage them permanently (cracks, bridge, soundboard, sticky keys). But these are instruments and I am not quite sure of headphones. If the wood actually plays any part in how the headphone sounds (which I assume they do), then humidity will more likely damage them.

May 22, 2012 at 5:53 AM Post #13 of 27
Quote:

Are you sure about that? I thought the casing for violins or cellos is mainly for transportation purposes, to carry them around to other places. Some folks display their beautiful violins, violas or cellos in their homes(without being kept in cases).

Yes I am sure, it's to stabilise the violin's temperature. You can google how humidity kills violins. 

May 22, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #14 of 27
Quote:

Yes I am sure, it's to stabilise the violin's temperature. You can google how humidity kills violins. 

I believe we are mixing up variation in temperature and humidity. It's not about "stabilising the violin's temperature". Yes, I do know variation in temperature will cause expansion and contraction which will cause cracks not only in wood but building materials. Humidity can be a problem to violins but keeping them in a case does not necessarily protect them from humidity as it isn't air-tight. Similarly with pianos. Dehumidifier is installed in most pianos as the quality of interior wood is of low density, perhaps untreated.

Back to the Audeze headphones. The wood will age with time though I suppose the Audeze designers have got that covered with wood selection and treatment. High humidity countries are not only limited to South-East Asia but cities in other part of the world as well. Some of the most humid cities are located in the US too.

May 22, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

I believe we are mixing up variation in temperature and humidity. It's not about "stabilising the violin's temperature". Yes, I do know variation in temperature will cause expansion and contraction which will cause cracks not only in wood but building materials. Humidity can be a problem to violins but keeping them in a case does not necessarily protect them from humidity as it isn't air-tight. Similarly with pianos. Dehumidifier is installed in most pianos as the quality of interior wood is of low density, perhaps untreated.

Back to the Audeze headphones. The wood will age with time though I suppose the Audeze designers have got that covered with wood selection and treatment. High humidity countries are not only limited to South-East Asia but cities in other part of the world as well. Some of the most humid cities are located in the US too.

Fair enough. It's logical to think that Audeze designers have thought about possible future causes. 

True, a case don't offer much protection from humidity but the point is that humidity affect it in a great way. My violin costs thousands of dollars and a luthier warned me against the effects of humidity. Then again, it's instruments. Headphones may be different. Okay, let's get back into topic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back