Audeze LCD2 or LCD2C?
Jan 3, 2019 at 8:46 AM Post #2 of 18
I have the LCD2 with fazor. I believe the difference is that the non fazor LCD2C has a little more presence in the bass but the fazored LCD2 has a more accurate bass. It depends on your bass preference but if you're getting for the same price I would lean towards the nicer build quality and included case of the LCD2.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 18
Hi all, happy new year!

I might have the chance to buy either the LCD2 or the LCD2C, both new, at the same price range. I've searched for differences between them and I'd like to know which (and why) you would choose one in favour of the other.

Thanks

As far as I know, the two headphones have the same driver. I believe this is true starting the 2017 LCD-2 (someone who knows better, feel free to correct me). Prior versions of the LCD-2 will sound different.

The difference in sound to my ears is incredibly small and not something you'd notice without A/B testing. Main difference is the LCD-2 sounds a bit clearer and seems to extend better in the treble region (more air). Might be the effects of the fazor that I was hearing, or might be a slight variation in driver.

If I chose one I'd choose the LCD-2 because I like the bamboo ring (I'm also a sucker for the included case). In terms of sound quality, these two are much more similar than different and should be treated as such.

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:37 PM Post #4 of 18
Ok guys, I appreciate your answers and thank you for that. I currently own a Hifiman HE400i that I use at home either at my laptop (connected to an Ifi Nano iDSD) or directly to my system (when I can't use the speakers because of the kids) trough a Marantaz PM6005 Amp. Questions:

1) Will the Audeze LCD-2 be such a huge leap in SQ over the HE400i?
2) Which amp would you suggest to pair with the LCD-2 (or the HE400i) on the laptop (I am imagine the Marantz will be more than able to drive both of them). Worth of noting that I also own a small Topping NX4 DSD and they seem to drive the HE400i's better than the Nano. Should it be that way?

Jan 3, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #5 of 18
I had the fortunate chance to try every mainline audeze lcd unit. (Excluding the closed lc2c) and i preferred the newer lcd2c against the old lcd2. Again, i had the chance to test them side by side for half a day. Most people wont be able to do that before making a purchase decision.
From that experience i found out i didnt like the lcd4, lcd3, lcdx closed, lcd2. But what i did like was ironically the two newer ones the lcd2c and lcdx(new). Although i liked the sound of the lcdx it was heavier than lcd2c. And the lcd2c was good enough for me :) so after ive saved up enough, ill buy the lcd2c.

Ps: the owner didnt have the lcd4z, lcd4mx or lcd2c closed.yet. So i wasnt able to try thoes.
I prefered the lcdx over the lcdxclosed tho.

Never tried any other audeze product except their lcd line. But, i think fazor to my ears from the lineup ive tried, is hard to notice, you really have to listen to changes between headphones to notice it.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:25 PM Post #6 of 18
@Sergio Tavares
1) Yes, the 2017 Audeze LCD-2 that I auditioned had better transient response, better dynamics, and better bass/midrange. Tonality is subjective, but to me the LCD-2 is much more liquid and natural than the HE-400i.
2) Choose an amp that can deliver power with clarity, dynamics, resolution, and control. I personally really love the Cavalli Liquid Platinum, but other amps also work well (Lyr 3, THX 789 AAA, others I can't remember off the top of my head).

I had the fortunate chance to try every mainline audeze lcd unit. (Excluding the closed lc2c) and i preferred the newer lcd2c against the old lcd2. Again, i had the chance to test them side by side for half a day. Most people wont be able to do that before making a purchase decision.
From that experience i found out i didnt like the lcd4, lcd3, lcdx closed, lcd2. But what i did like was ironically the two newer ones the lcd2c and lcdx(new). Although i liked the sound of the lcdx it was heavier than lcd2c. And the lcd2c was good enough for me :) so after ive saved up enough, ill buy the lcd2c.

Ps: the owner didnt have the lcd4z, lcd4mx or lcd2c closed.yet. So i wasnt able to try thoes.
I prefered the lcdx over the lcdxclosed tho.

Never tried any other audeze product except their lcd line. But, i think fazor to my ears from the lineup ive tried, is hard to notice, you really have to listen to changes between headphones to notice it.

I can agree with the notion that the LCD-2C is better than the older LCD-2 (unless it's a grade A prefazor). However, I don't agree when comparing to new models; I really love the LCD-3 post-2016 and as I mentioned post-2017 LCD-2s are slightly better to my ears than the 2C. I did take the time to audition these headphones before I bought my LCD-3.

Jan 3, 2019 at 8:22 PM Post #7 of 18
@Sergio Tavares
1) Yes, the 2017 Audeze LCD-2 that I auditioned had better transient response, better dynamics, and better bass/midrange. Tonality is subjective, but to me the LCD-2 is much more liquid and natural than the HE-400i.
2) Choose an amp that can deliver power with clarity, dynamics, resolution, and control. I personally really love the Cavalli Liquid Platinum, but other amps also work well (Lyr 3, THX 789 AAA, others I can't remember off the top of my head).

I can agree with the notion that the LCD-2C is better than the older LCD-2 (unless it's a grade A prefazor). However, I don't agree when comparing to new models; I really love the LCD-3 post-2016 and as I mentioned post-2017 LCD-2s are slightly better to my ears than the 2C. I did take the time to audition these headphones before I bought my LCD-3.
i'm not 100% sure when my co-workers friend bought his audeze collection. but i can see why people like the LCD-3, it sounds brighter to my ears compared to the 2 and X. is that a sound you look for more in a planar?

Jan 4, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 18
i'm not 100% sure when my co-workers friend bought his audeze collection. but i can see why people like the LCD-3, it sounds brighter to my ears compared to the 2 and X. is that a sound you look for more in a planar?

To answer your question, no. I simply found the LCD-3 most to my liking (and I also don't find it bright at all).

I hesitate to call any Audeze bright, so for the purposes of comparison I'll use the phrase "less warm."

The LCD-3 and the LCD-X are similar in tonal balance, both being less warm than the 2. The 3, however, can give the impression of being the warmest of all LCD headphones due to its timbre; I find the LCD-3 to be the most liquid and musical of the bunch (this includes the LCD-4). It's more laid-back than the X (which sounded slightly dry with a weird treble; can't quite put my finger on it).

For context of my comparisons, all LCDs referenced above are post-2016 manufacture, with the LCD-2 being a 2018. The LCD-3 I own is a 2016 with the headband replaced.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #9 of 18
To answer your question, no. I simply found the LCD-3 most to my liking (and I also don't find it bright at all).

I hesitate to call any Audeze bright, so for the purposes of comparison I'll use the phrase "less warm."

The LCD-3 and the LCD-X are similar in tonal balance, both being less warm than the 2. The 3, however, can give the impression of being the warmest of all LCD headphones due to its timbre; I find the LCD-3 to be the most liquid and musical of the bunch (this includes the LCD-4). It's more laid-back than the X (which sounded slightly dry with a weird treble; can't quite put my finger on it).

For context of my comparisons, all LCDs referenced above are post-2016 manufacture, with the LCD-2 being a 2018. The LCD-3 I own is a 2016 with the headband replaced.
Hmmm, could be maybe the ones i tried somehow changed in sound? I do agree that the x felt dryer but i couldnt spot a huge diffirence myself between the 3 and x. Again, ive only had the pleasuring of using this collection for half a day lol, so not super long. Im sure over days or weeks id be able to get more detailed notes from each individual can. But am i in the right in saying the 4s are... not worth the money when the 2, x and 3 exists? I feel it could be a herd effect that people assume the 4 is the best from the lineup. :S

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:49 AM Post #10 of 18
Hmmm, could be maybe the ones i tried somehow changed in sound? I do agree that the x felt dryer but i couldnt spot a huge diffirence myself between the 3 and x. Again, ive only had the pleasuring of using this collection for half a day lol, so not super long. Im sure over days or weeks id be able to get more detailed notes from each individual can. But am i in the right in saying the 4s are... not worth the money when the 2, x and 3 exists? I feel it could be a herd effect that people assume the 4 is the best from the lineup. :S

It is well-documented that LCDs change over time, so a change is very possible.

To my ears the 2016 LCD-3 is liquid and wonderfully smooth in the entirety of its range and only resembled the 2017 X I auditioned in frequency response. However, this comparison is in the context of Audeze house sound; both headphones still sounded like Audeze LCDs. I can see people preferring one or the other based on tastes.

I can also say that these headphones sound very different from the two prefazor LCD2.2s I tried. And even within the two prefazor 2s, one was gawd awful and one was one of the best headphones I've ever heard. Granted, Audeze struggled with consistency at this time (this problem appears to have been fixed; the LCD-3 I ended up buying sounds exactly like what I heard as a demo).

To answer your question about the LCD-4, I'm in a similar camp as you; I personally found it less suited to my tastes than the 3. I iterated it earlier, but I said that I find the 4 a technically superior headphone (better transients, speed, dynamics, etc) but it lacks the liquidity of the 3 that I just love (I would say it has about 90% of 3's liquid sound). Still a good headphone though, and not worth it...well that's hard to quantify in the audiophile world.

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:23 AM Post #11 of 18
I was torn between the LCD2C and LCD2 2017. Ultimately I went with the LCD2 2017. With my Deckard the LCD2 just sounded better up top and the bass wasnt drastically different. The LCD2 has all the bass I could ask for whencompared to my LCDX which is more neutral to my ears. Overall I would say they sound very similar so I would choose the LCD2 just for the case and bamboo finish. It just looks like a sweet headphone and sound sounds e how I would want.

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #13 of 18
LCD2C is more comfortable than lcd2. If you can't sustain the weight of lcd2, I suggest you choose a comfortable headphone. I didn't want to listen to my lcd2 as its weight.

I personally don't think any of the Audeze LCD line of headphones are that different in comfort; if you try one and you can't stand it due to its weight you honestly should just get a different headphone (or do neck exercises :D )

Feb 8, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #14 of 18
I personally don't think any of the Audeze LCD line of headphones are that different in comfort; if you try one and you can't stand it due to its weight you honestly should just get a different headphone (or do neck exercises :D )
Agreed hahah, i put on the lcd2c and it was imo the most comfortable can audeze makes from their lcd line. I tried the x, 3, 4, and yeah... the 2 classic is best comfort by far.

May 31, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #15 of 18
I have to agree on the comfort of the classics, they certainly did their job when they designed that pleather headband and magnificent deep memory foam pads. Most comfortable reference headphones I have really tried at length, except perhaps for the one time I tired the sennheiser 800s in a headphone shop, though that is a different comfort type. More of a "forget your wearing anything" type.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back