AUDEZE LCD XC
Jul 10, 2021 at 5:57 AM Post #3,931 of 4,127
Thanks for the reply. I'll check with the shop I'll be going to if they have the old XC in stock and audition that too. I see that the Amp8 is balanced out with a decent voltage and current. I intend using a Cayin R01 module on my N6ii which is single-ended and rated 430mW @ 32Ohms (balanced). It's slightly above the recommended power for the new LCD-XC so I have my fingers crossed that it'll work.

I found the new XC specs here: https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-xc

So my R01 module should be okay in theory.
Yes, there are fairly easy to move beyond the iDevice power level of baseline functional sound that gets them 'going' once you add a DAP with a true amp module in it....XCs fantastic anyway. I think the current X and XC are the star buys of planars...don't get me started on Diana V2...or Empyrian....

Jul 10, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #3,932 of 4,127
I think the weight might be more of an issue for mobile use? They are quite heavy.
XCs portable/transportable device for sitting somewhere..
But yes, I have on odd occasion walked around with them on street...monster cans that they are.

Jul 11, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #3,933 of 4,127
Hi everyone,
I found out about the lcdxc a few days ago. Looking for a new transportable highend closed headphone and this one is on the shortlist together with focal stellia/radiance and danclarkaudio aeon 2 noire. I know that last one is perhaps not in the same level but its so portable.
Sill i have a huge backpack and dont mind lugging stuff around.
HEre in the Netherlands you can only buy the creators edition though. Is that economy case sturdy enough to lug the headphones around?
Also I want to use it balanced. Can you buy an aftermarket cable for these since again I dont think the cable is sold here in eu.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #3,934 of 4,127
Hi everyone,
I found out about the lcdxc a few days ago. Looking for a new transportable highend closed headphone and this one is on the shortlist together with focal stellia/radiance and danclarkaudio aeon 2 noire. I know that last one is perhaps not in the same level but its so portable.
Sill i have a huge backpack and dont mind lugging stuff around.
HEre in the Netherlands you can only buy the creators edition though. Is that economy case sturdy enough to lug the headphones around?
Also I want to use it balanced. Can you buy an aftermarket cable for these since again I dont think the cable is sold here in eu.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,
I'm also interested in this. The Creator's edition comes with a 1/4-inch stereo single-ended connector on the amp side. I want to use a balanced cable too. The only 'official' cable I've seen from Audeze is this one that has a 4-pin balanced XLR connection on the amp end:

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-balanced-cable

However, in my case I would need a 4.4mm Pentaconn connector and it seems that you would have to get a custom cable made. It's a shame that Audeze don't appear to make a 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced cable. Here in the UK there is Customs Cans (tagging @jfunk) who may be able to make a balanced cable for the new 2021 Audeze LCD-XC. I haven't really found many other sources of good quality balanced cables for the LCD series.

Here's a link to the page for the Custom Cans cables for the Audeze LCD series: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/audeze-cables/audeze-balanced-cable.html

I don't know if those cables will work with the 2021 Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC but I'm sure @jfunk will be able to confirm.

Hopefully others will be able to offer some more balanced cable suggestions.

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #3,935 of 4,127
I'm also interested in this. The Creator's edition comes with a 1/4-inch stereo single-ended connector on the amp side. I want to use a balanced cable too. The only 'official' cable I've seen from Audeze is this one that has a 4-pin balanced XLR connection on the amp end:

https://www.audeze.com/products/lcd-balanced-cable

However, in my case I would need a 4.4mm Pentaconn connector and it seems that you would have to get a custom cable made. It's a shame that Audeze don't appear to make a 4.4mm Pentaconn balanced cable. Here in the UK there is Customs Cans (tagging @jfunk) who may be able to make a balanced cable for the new 2021 Audeze LCD-XC. I haven't really found many other sources of good quality balanced cables for the LCD series.

Here's a link to the page for the Custom Cans cables for the Audeze LCD series: https://customcans.co.uk/s/s/index.php/cables/audeze-cables/audeze-balanced-cable.html

I don't know if those cables will work with the 2021 Audeze LCD-X and LCD-XC but I'm sure @jfunk will be able to confirm.

Hopefully others will be able to offer some more balanced cable suggestions.
Yes, it will work. There is no connector difference in the LCD2+ line - new or old.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #3,937 of 4,127
Yes, there are fairly easy to move beyond the iDevice power level of baseline functional sound that gets them 'going' once you add a DAP with a true amp module in it....XCs fantastic anyway. I think the current X and XC are the star buys of planars...don't get me started on Diana V2...or Empyrian....
Hi.

I am sorry, in that case that my enquiry possibly would not be correct, for this thread.

However, I would be interested to know of your impression, for those Diana V2s, and for those Empyreans, in comparison for those LCD-Xs, and in comparison for those LCD-XCs.

Jul 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #3,938 of 4,127
Hi.

I am sorry, in that case that my enquiry possibly would not be correct, for this thread.

However, I would be interested to know of your impression, for those Diana V2s, and for those Empyreans, in comparison for those LCD-Xs, and in comparison for those LCD-XCs.
Generally I found the imaging and dynamics lacking on Empys...they reminded me of the LCD-2.1s tech level of 2010...I mean, Sundara has better dynamics and imaging IMO than Empys with my time with both.
Diana V2..they had something to offer until Audeze dealt with 4k dip..but they are not comfortable at all with that headband and the pads going into a wedge so it was hard to keep a seal on the pads...the cable on them is just this weird sticky thick hose of a thing and for 3k you can get LCD-X/C and something else...looks like high-tech body design on the surface but no, bad ergonomics.
New XC is quite saturated in the upper mids and treble..not out-and-out bright, just intense and forward...it is good at lower medium volumes.
For open-back - around or under 1k - I'd go straight for 2021 X or 2021 Ananda/Sundara (with after-market velour pads which deals with icyness/tizz of stock pads) if on a budget at the moment.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #3,939 of 4,127
Generally I found the imaging and dynamics lacking on Empys...they reminded me of the LCD-2.1s tech level of 2010...I mean, Sundara has better dynamics and imaging IMO than Empys with my time with both.
Diana V2..they had something to offer until Audeze dealt with 4k dip..but they are not comfortable at all with that headband and the pads going into a wedge so it was hard to keep a seal on the pads...the cable on them is just this weird sticky thick hose of a thing and for 3k you can get LCD-X/C and something else...looks like high-tech body design on the surface but no, bad ergonomics.
New XC is quite saturated in the upper mids and treble..not out-and-out bright, just intense and forward...it is good at lower medium volumes.
For open-back - around or under 1k - I'd go straight for 2021 X or 2021 Ananda/Sundara (with after-market velour pads which deals with icyness/tizz of stock pads) if on a budget at the moment.
Thank you, for providing that impression, for those sets of those headphones.

Jul 12, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #3,940 of 4,127
Hi everyone,
Thanks for the quick replies.I would need either a 2.5mm or 4.4.. cable not sure on the ampyet.
Its a relief that there are aftermarket cables available.
Any more recommendations for european makers of these?
Alsom would the case of the creators edition be sturdy enough? I dont mind transportable I need them for sitting down not walking around.
Has anyone compared the lcdxc 2020 against either focl radiance or focal stellia? I know there is a price difference.
And also: my current meze99 are not that comfortable after a few years. My ears tend tou touch the drivers and they are a bit sweaty. How is comfort on the lcdxc?
Thanks in advance for any further info,
Its so difficult when you cant just test gear beforehand.
Greetings, Anouk,

Jul 15, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #3,942 of 4,127
did anyone think the mx4 was better than the xc?
Here is what metal571 said about the MX4 in the YouTube chat with Resolve:
"MX4 is an X driver with LCD4 magnets apparently, it was just disappointing. sounded like improved dynamics over the X with worse resolution lol"
metal571_mx4.png

Jul 15, 2021 at 7:25 AM Post #3,944 of 4,127
...am still flip-flopping between new and old XC...new XC does sound much cleaner and layering,imaging up a notch between my 2 sets...but that forward upper mids and treble does put a bit of a ceiling on things...simple hack is sponge discs to take that edge off that region, or after-market non-Audeze pads. Listening was with a new X with bubinga XC cups, so not the standard retail carbon...BTW I think carbon cups of their nature are better at eating the back-wave and bloom in bass vs wood which imparts its janka rating (wood sensivity/strength) into the resonance of decay length.

But that 4k scoop on old tuning is most evident going back to my Aeon2Cs and now with the new XCs.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #3,945 of 4,127
...am still flip-flopping between new and old XC...new XC does sound much cleaner and layering,imaging up a notch between my 2 sets...but that forward upper mids and treble does put a bit of a ceiling on things...simple hack is sponge discs to take that edge off that region, or after-market non-Audeze pads. Listening was with a new X with bubinga XC cups, so not the standard retail carbon...BTW I think carbon cups of their nature are better at eating the back-wave and bloom in bass vs wood which imparts its janka rating (wood sensivity/strength) into the resonance of decay length.

But that 4k scoop on old tuning is most evident going back to my Aeon2Cs and now with the new XCs.
You got a great pair of ears and your description of the XC in Bubinga and Carbon cups are very accurate. I have both of them, they sound almost the same when A/B side by side. I also created discs with felt and special material to tame the upper mids , treble and make the sound stage even wider. Now , they both sound absolutely wonderful.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back