AUDEZE LCD XC
Aug 2, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #3,136 of 4,127
Thank you so much for the pictures! I tend to worry about this sorta stuff sometimes, but you just put my mind at ease :)

Quite understandable! It's not as sturdy as the plastic Pelican-style Audeze case (I have one for my LCD-2), obviously, but I use the cardboard box to transport my headphones to work sometimes because it is a lot less conspicuous. The Audeze case gets quite a few questions, most of the time starting with "why do you have a camera?"

Aug 27, 2018 at 9:55 PM Post #3,138 of 4,127
Well I've now owned my XC's for 50 days & have conservatively spent 130 hours time on them maybe a little more, I noticed their sq has improved in a big way, just wondering if anyone knows how much burn-in time these hp's require to reach their best. I'll say this the XC's are simply amazing sounding they are now my favorites, no regrets at all on this purchase.. enjoy all

Aug 29, 2018 at 6:35 PM Post #3,139 of 4,127
abvolt:

I agree that they sound amazing and can compete with the big dogs. Here is the Amp I am using.
Audeze LCD-XC and Schiit Mjolnir 2.jpg

Aug 29, 2018 at 8:23 PM Post #3,140 of 4,127
Very nice headamp I really like the Schiit gear I've been wanting to get the Bimby or a audio gd r2r-11, here's the amp I use most of the time, this tube combo & the XC's is super detailed..enjoy

20180829_165849.jpg

Aug 30, 2018 at 6:59 PM Post #3,141 of 4,127
The WA22 is on my list too. (Gotta save some $$$$)

Aug 31, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,142 of 4,127
Well I've now owned my XC's for 50 days & have conservatively spent 130 hours time on them maybe a little more, I noticed their sq has improved in a big way, just wondering if anyone knows how much burn-in time these hp's require to reach their best. I'll say this the XC's are simply amazing sounding they are now my favorites, no regrets at all on this purchase.. enjoy all

I've had mine for just over a month and I feel the same way. Audeze claims that they put all of their headphones through a 24 hours burn in period which should mean that they don't require any more. But, I believe burn in with headphones is similar to that of breaking in an engine—there needs to be many hot/cold cycles. This temperature variation allows for components to settle perfectly. The XC's I first received were far to bright and I almost sent them back. I powered through it and they've become more neutral. Now, this could just be my ears adjusting to the sound so take what I say with a grain of salt.

Aug 31, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #3,143 of 4,127
I've had mine for just over a month and I feel the same way. Audeze claims that they put all of their headphones through a 24 hours burn in period which should mean that they don't require any more. But, I believe burn in with headphones is similar to that of breaking in an engine—there needs to be many hot/cold cycles. This temperature variation allows for components to settle perfectly. The XC's I first received were far to bright and I almost sent them back. I powered through it and they've become more neutral. Now, this could just be my ears adjusting to the sound so take what I say with a grain of salt.

I love my XC too and regarding the brightness issue, it depends on what headphone amp you are using too. Every headphone amp changes the sound quality (characteristic) of XC. One has to find the right one for one's ear and the search is endless and very subjective.
When i first heard Seinheiser HD800 which was highly acclaimed, i think it was lousy when they paired it with Seinheiser own headphone amp which i can't remember which model. That bad impression stuck with me for years till i try it again with Auris Headonia. And wow!! That combo blew me away.
I have not pair my XC with Headonia yet and i'm pretty sure it will perform much better than my current amp. Have to start saving money though.
Enjoy your XC and music. :)

Aug 31, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #3,144 of 4,127
Moving between Cardas Clear light cabling to Kimber Kable axios is night and day as far as treble goes with the xc. So don’t forget the importance of the right cabling and then there is the importance of choosing a “high current “ amp which is never cheap or affordable . Neglect either of these elements and you will most likely be swimming the sibalant seas of XC. I’m constantly amazed at how bad these cans will sound when powered with the wrong amp ...

Sep 1, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #3,145 of 4,127
Moving between Cardas Clear light cabling to Kimber Kable axios is night and day as far as treble goes with the xc.
Night and and day you say? How come there's no measurable difference then?
Every single blind test shows there is no perceivable difference. People couldn't tell apart a coat hanger from a nice cable in a blind test.
head-fi should be renamed to placebo-fi at this point

Sep 1, 2018 at 12:34 PM Post #3,146 of 4,127
Ya ya .... say what you will about cabling but I am telling you straight as an audio mixer and producer of music for over 35 years that there is a “night and day “ difference between these two cables . I could pick it out every time. The Cardas sounds almost painful in the high end where the Kimber Kable is smooth and full range .
If I showed you the difference you would be able to hear the difference as well.
All of that said this is one of the only instances where a cable choice made such a huge impact in the sound which leads me to believe it has to do with the xc and it’s curremt issues . I knew someone would throw the placebo argument but I’m telling you again . The xc is super sensitive to cabling . Maybe two different sets of cables I would not be able to tell one from the other but in this case there is no f’ing doubt there is an impact in the sound . I would never have believed this unless due to the critical nature of the amp cabling issues with the xc I was forced to buy 5 different cables until I found one that wasn’t too sibalent . There is more resolution coming from the Cardas (a lot more resolution ) but it makes the cans shrill in the hugs as a result . I’ll take the Kimber Kable Axios as it made the xc listenable for the first time since I have owned them .
Believe what wou want but capacitance in cables as well as other factors can have a dramatic impact on certain systems . This headphone system on mine is one of them .

Sep 1, 2018 at 8:21 PM Post #3,147 of 4,127
I'll definitely agree with @lenkiatleong the right amp does make all the difference in sq. I also agree with @seedubchris on cables I always replace the stock cable with a good balanced one it does change the sq I never thought it would but it does ..

Sep 2, 2018 at 2:02 AM Post #3,148 of 4,127
I'll definitely agree with @lenkiatleong the right amp does make all the difference in sq. I also agree with @seedubchris on cables I always replace the stock cable with a good balanced one it does change the sq I never thought it would but it does ..

IMO, sound quality is already defined by the amps and headphones. The limits of SQ are at the amp and headphone. And the cable is the tricky one. I did hear differences when i switch cables. I look at cable as kind of passive EQ. Some cable does block high freq and thus sound comfortable to some/most.
But if the amp already cut off certain high freq in their design, cable does not matter anymore. I like neutral cable, i.e., let every damn freq go thru from amp to headphone. This way, i only have to play around with the amps and headphones.
The ultimate cable is the one used by those engineers tuning the amp and specific headphones. That may be of lower cost ones, i'm sure. The thing is, engineers used them to tweak and it matters a lot. If only they will publish their rigs. I am guessing they are using stock cable but with high end amps to test our XC, e.g, Woo Audio 22 or 33.
Having said all the above, i strongly believe every one of us has different liking/taste for certain freq and that's why it's interesting.
Hey my friend, enjoy the music!!

Sep 2, 2018 at 3:02 AM Post #3,149 of 4,127

What do you call a good balanced cable for the XC’s? I’m still looking for a decent replacement to use with my Moon 430HA

Sep 2, 2018 at 7:18 AM Post #3,150 of 4,127
The Kimber Kable CU copper is the smoothest signature i have heard to date when used with the Violectric V281 High current balanced headphone amp. I would also recommend any of the Gold plated copper options by plussound Norn etc... Stay away from silver cabling and rhodium plated connectors with the XC. its already to fast and benefits from less resolving cabling. They also crave super high current output (not voltage) headphone amps which are the more expensive kind to make unfortunately. I bought the XC's for $1000 but have spent 4 times that amount in an effort to fine a synergy with the components driving the xc's. Im not sure this makes any financial sense but thats headfi They are great cans but don't be fooled... it can be a long and expensive road to get them to sound right . Plugging them into your phone might sound ok but nothing like what they can and are supposed to sound like with proper power and cabling. Makes me wonder what else I could have bought had these cans been more transparently marketed ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back