AUDEZE LCD XC
Apr 3, 2016 at 6:18 PM Post #2,401 of 4,127
Anyone do any extensive A/B testing with the X vs XC? 

Currently doing that right now. Plan on keeping which one I like better. So far I keep going back and forth between them. Some tracks sound better on the X, other better on the XC. Kind of leaning to the XC, mainly because I also have a HD800 and the XC is darker and bassier compared to the X. Biggest surprise is despite the X being open and having a wider soundstage, the imaging on a lot of songs is better on the XC. That and the instrument placement seems more accurate and clear. Especially noticed this on Radiohead tracks "There There" and "Punchup at a Wedding". Very interesting.

I'm going to do some more listening and I'll post back with what I finally conclude from the testing.

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:54 PM Post #2,403 of 4,127
  Anyone do any extensive A/B testing with the X vs XC? 

Currently doing that right now. Plan on keeping which one I like better. So far I keep going back and forth between them. Some tracks sound better on the X, other better on the XC. Kind of leaning to the XC, mainly because I also have a HD800 and the XC is darker and bassier compared to the X. Biggest surprise is despite the X being open and having a wider soundstage, the imaging on a lot of songs is better on the XC. That and the instrument placement seems more accurate and clear. Especially noticed this on Radiohead tracks "There There" and "Punchup at a Wedding". Very interesting.

I'm going to do some more listening and I'll post back with what I finally conclude from the testing.

Yep, strongly preferred the XC as well. The choice between the XC and 3F was a lot harder but I finally preferred the XC.

Apr 14, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,404 of 4,127
  Having said that, I think the left driver just died on my XC (I have zero sound from it after trying multiple sources/cables). Off to Audeze they go... :frowning2:

Just got them back. Audeze turned it around in 1 business day (I shipped them 7 day, they shipped them back 2-3 day). Back in business. I may have even lucked out and got an upgrade if there really is a "2016" revision (had to tell since these are new drivers that are still breaking in). Can't complain (so long as repairing them doesn't become a 2-3 year event). 
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #2,406 of 4,127
anyone else having had this strange moment where you think "my Fiio Q1 drives the LCD XC just fine"... having a blast here!

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #2,407 of 4,127
  anyone else having had this strange moment where you think "my Fiio Q1 drives the LCD XC just fine"... having a blast here!

Most Planars are usually hard to drive although Audeze is rather sensible in that regard.
Look at the specs. They won't tell you how the phones will sound but they will tell you what kind of amp you'll need.
Not talking about watts here because a 30W class A will be just as good as a 200W Class A/B. (speaking in speaker terms here.)
The XC has an impedance of 20 Ohms which is ridicously low and an efficiency of 100db. Anything over 100 can be driven by a feeble 2W amp.
15W is the maximum power handling for an XC but if you give that thing 15W class A you'll blow it up.

Simply put: you can drive the XC fine from an iPhone or Samsung or phones out of your laptop.
It will sound better from a decent amp though but that amp doesn't need to be powerful.
In any case, don't drive it out of the spoeaker outputs of your amp like you would do with a K1000.
I never tried it but I guess you'd either have firworks or ear damage.

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:45 PM Post #2,408 of 4,127

Most Planars are usually hard to drive although Audeze is rather sensible in that regard.
Look at the specs. They won't tell you how the phones will sound but they will tell you what kind of amp you'll need.
Not talking about watts here because a 30W class A will be just as good as a 200W Class A/B. (speaking in speaker terms here.)
The XC has an impedance of 20 Ohms which is ridicously low and an efficiency of 100db. Anything over 100 can be driven by a feeble 2W amp.
15W is the maximum power handling for an XC but if you give that thing 15W class A you'll blow it up.

Simply put: you can drive the XC fine from an iPhone or Samsung or phones out of your laptop.
It will sound better from a decent amp though but that amp doesn't need to be powerful.
In any case, don't drive it out of the spoeaker outputs of your amp like you would do with a K1000.
I never tried it but I guess you'd either have firworks or ear damage.

I hear you, have the Cavallio Liquid Crabon on order, still suprised how easy the LCD CXs are pleased.. Just hooked up the the Fiio for fun, but damm... they sound sweet on high gain

PS: listening to Billy Joel, Songs in the Attic

Apr 17, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #2,410 of 4,127
My experience is that the LCD-XC benefits a lot in terms of control if you use an amp with a couple of watts output power.

Apr 21, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #2,411 of 4,127
My experience is that the LCD-XC benefits a lot in terms of control if you use an amp with a couple of watts output power.

That could be true, but I run mine from a medium-powered tube headphone amp (DNA Sonett 2) and it sounds positively divine...

Apr 21, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #2,412 of 4,127
I'm sure it does yage. Most tube amps I listened to sounded great.

But regarding my comment, I came from an iFi Nano iDSD and went for a Moon 430HAD, so that's my reference.

Apr 21, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #2,413 of 4,127
I'm sure it does @yage. Most tube amps I listened to sounded great.

But regarding my comment, I came from an iFi Nano iDSD and went for a Moon 430HAD, so that's my reference.

Wow - that's a fairly big jump. I'd submit to you that the end result may not only stem from an increase in power but also better amplifier design and parts quality.

Apr 21, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #2,414 of 4,127
I agree with the points mentioned yage. The Moon is very nice build.

Apr 21, 2016 at 3:45 PM Post #2,415 of 4,127
  Just got them back. Audeze turned it around in 1 business day (I shipped them 7 day, they shipped them back 2-3 day). Back in business. I may have even lucked out and got an upgrade if there really is a "2016" revision (had to tell since these are new drivers that are still breaking in). Can't complain (so long as repairing them doesn't become a 2-3 year event). 
beerchug.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard

Wondering if anyone has had a chance to find 2015 and 2016 LCD-XC and give feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back