AUDEZE LCD XC
Jan 17, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #541 of 4,127
The EF-6 is good with the LCD-X, but it is amazing with the LCD-XC.  Things I hate about the EF-6 are that: (1) it is a big, ugly, heavy monster of an amp; and (3) the volume knob is a monstrosity.  For $1600 the look and feel of the amp should be much better, but with regards to sound (at least with the LCD-XC), it is warm, smooth, and just perfect for the XCs.

EF-6 arriving tomorrow for a home trial. If it fails to impress I'll just stick with my trusty Conductor...or buy a Master 9 :D

Jan 17, 2014 at 8:18 PM Post #542 of 4,127
EF-6 arriving tomorrow for a home trial. If it fails to impress I'll just stick with my trusty Conductor...or buy a Master 9
biggrin.gif

You'll see about the volume knob...what a monstrosity!!!  I think you'll like the sound, though (depending on your source...if it's a warm-sounding source, you'll like it!).

Jan 20, 2014 at 4:39 PM Post #543 of 4,127
Has someone compared the XC to Sig Pro, T5p or W3000ANV? I have 4 closed back headphones with the TH900 which has its first place. I'm thinking of upgrading from W3000ANV or Sig Pro but is the Audeze really better? I mean that a T5p can not beat in terms of soundstage.

Jan 20, 2014 at 8:43 PM Post #544 of 4,127
Has someone compared the XC to Sig Pro, T5p or W3000ANV? I have 4 closed back headphones with the TH900 which has its first place. I'm thinking of upgrading from W3000ANV or Sig Pro but is the Audeze really better? I mean that a T5p can not beat in terms of soundstage.

I'm not a fan of the T5p or Sig Pro (well enough to buy them). I did own the W3000ANVs and enjoyed them immensely, but sold them for the TH-900s (which I happen to prefer). That said, the LCD-XC are my favourite full sized closed headphones to date.

Jan 21, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #547 of 4,127
Just joined the club.
took delivery of the LCD-XC from Headroom.
so far, i must say that i prefer the way the XC images over even the LCD-3.
closed headphones just "do it for me."  the bass presence, the way they pressurize the ears.
the way the edges of the soundstage have more palpability.  

so, i may have a new favorite...

need to start the neck exercises now...  

Jan 21, 2014 at 5:29 PM Post #548 of 4,127

Me too, I prefer the leather but IMO (just me) leather gives me smaller sound stage.
I might wait for LCD4 or something with the feature that you can easily remove the ear pads.

Right now once you glue the pads you can't reused them, kind of bad design I guess.

I asked Audeze, vegan isolates less so it is leather for me.
My order goes in Friday...

Jan 21, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #549 of 4,127
  Just joined the club.
took delivery of the LCD-XC from Headroom.
so far, i must say that i prefer the way the XC images over even the LCD-3.
closed headphones just "do it for me."  the bass presence, the way they pressurize the ears.
the way the edges of the soundstage have more palpability.  

so, i may have a new favorite...

need to start the neck exercises now...  

Congrats! They are very special headphones!

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #550 of 4,127
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone here had some experience with both the XC and T5P's and could share some views on isolation. I'm planning on going for a 2 month holiday to Japan and can only bring one pair of headphones with me. I currently have the T5P but its lacking compared to my usual listen and I need them to be closed since I'll be using them on the plane, train and for general commuting as well as my regular listens. Would the isolation on the XC be adequate compared to the T5P?
Portability and size isn't an issue for me nor is the wooden caps for portable use, my primary concern is isolation.

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

Jan 22, 2014 at 6:58 AM Post #552 of 4,127
Hi all, I was just wondering if anyone here had some experience with both the XC and T5P's and could share some views on isolation. I'm planning on going for a 2 month holiday to Japan and can only bring one pair of headphones with me. I currently have the T5P but its lacking compared to my usual listen and I need them to be closed since I'll be using them on the plane, train and for general commuting as well as my regular listens. Would the isolation on the XC be adequate compared to the T5P?
Portability and size isn't an issue for me nor is the wooden caps for portable use, my primary concern is isolation.

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

I haven't heard the T5P, but own the XC, however I also have UM Miracles, and If you're looking for something that give the very best isolation, then IMO you need to go for a CIEM.

Jan 22, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #553 of 4,127
I haven't heard the T5P, but own the XC, however I also have UM Miracles, and If you're looking for something that give the very best isolation, then IMO you need to go for a CIEM.

+1. The XC isolate well if you're sitting in your living room and the ambient noise is moderate, but they are not in any way suited to portable use. The cable is too long, the headphones are too chunky, they'd be susceptible to rain, they'd make you a prime target for muggers...plus you'd feel ridiculous wearing them in the high street. Furthermore, despite their efficiency (so far as orthos are concerned), there aren't really any portable amps available that could drive them to the same level as a good desktop amplifier.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #554 of 4,127
Furthermore, despite their efficiency (so far as orthos are concerned), there aren't really any portable amps available that could drive them to the same level as a good desktop amplifier.

I find the XC's do sound very good with my Pico Slim, but obviously not to the same level as my GS-Xmk2.
If I didn't have the UM Miracles, and was looking for phones that would ( IMO ) also probably give the best isolation, I'd be going for the JH Roxanne.

Jan 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM Post #555 of 4,127

Thanks in advance.
-Matt

I have both.  Isolation with the T5p is, in my opinion, better.  Now, if you want the best isolation without going the IEM route, then the Ultrasone Ed. 8 - even though they don't sound as good as the T5p and LCD-XC - is your man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back