AUDEZE LCD XC
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #106 of 4,127
Sure thing...

Great photos! Man I wish I could snap photos that looked that good.

BTW, I've NEVER consider the LCD-2/3/X's treble scooped out. Guys, this is a design philosophy specifically for headphones. We're not talking about speakers here, so the idea is to shelve the treble down to account for the close proximity of the drivers to the ears. This gives them a more natural sound. I love my HD800s and I consider them "neutral", but I consider the LCD-3/X more natural sounding. Someone once said that the HD800's sound like high end speakers, while the LCDs sound like real life and I really like that analogy.

Other things to consider, I really find that power really helps open them up. The LCD-3s are pretty hard to find the right amp as well. While the LCD-2s sounded really good out of the Lyr, the LCD-3s were boring...enter the GS-X/GS-XMK2 and wowza! 

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:50 PM Post #108 of 4,127

I thought Tyll recommended them for monitoring to pick out and fix nasty flaws in mixes, because their accentuated treble sure points them out.

I love the HD800s, but it is, indeed, annoying, to have all the faults of otherwise fine recordings interfere with the enjoyment of the music.  Sometimes I like my pictures to be airbrushed a bit.  But hey, when a recording is virtually faultless, almost no experience approaches listening to it with the HD800s (at least in classical).

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:52 PM Post #109 of 4,127
  If you go to the concert hall/opera house, music will sound like it does out of the HD800 and T1.  If you go to a rock concert, the LCD2/3 will give you a sound you can relate to in such a venue.  Thus, if you want to reverse the order, then you won't get music that is "realistic"...you will get a colored sound.  Now, if you like color to the sound, that is fine as well, but it will no longer be, for lack of a better term, realistic.

Kinda understand what you mean, but LCD-2/3 doesn´t sound anything like a rock concert. Maybe if you wear earplugs at the concert, then the LCD-2/3 would be right on the money. Rock concerts have usually ear piercing treble, depending on the mixer/band/PA/venue of course, but most often rock concerts are very treble energetic, because of the guitars and the loud volume. So the LCD-2/3 for "rock concert experience" would not be accurate (unless you wear earplugs at the concert).

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:54 PM Post #110 of 4,127
Nov 24, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #111 of 4,127

Kinda understand what you mean, but LCD-2/3 doesn´t sound anything like a rock concert. Maybe if you wear earplugs at the concert, then the LCD-2/3 would be right on the money. Rock concerts have usually ear piercing treble, depending on the mixer/band/PA/venue of course, but most often rock concerts are very treble energetic, because of the guitars and the loud volume. So the LCD-2/3 for "rock concert experience" would not be accurate (unless you wear earplugs at the concert).

What rock concerts do you go to for ear piercing treble? 
blink.gif

The loudest one by far that I've been too was The Who in the late 80s and ear piercing treble wasn't part of the experience.  

Nov 24, 2013 at 8:58 PM Post #112 of 4,127

I understand what you say.  Well...so we agree why extended treble and subdued bass is desired in headphones by classical music lovers.  The problems is understanding why people who go to rock concerts do not appear to like treble happy phones when they get a mega dose of it live concerts.  They like the "Beats" headphones, which are boomy and utterly lacking in treble.  Now, that is, indeed, weird.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:00 PM Post #113 of 4,127
Maybe you've lost your high frequency hearing Macedonian Hero.  Every rock concert I've been to had insanely high volume levels and messy, overblown and distorted upper midrange-treble.  It's not like PA systems are high fidelity in the first place, and the acoustics of concrete floors don't help either.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #114 of 4,127
  Maybe you've lost your high frequency hearing Macedonian Hero.  Every rock concert I've been to had insanely high volume levels and messy, overblown and distorted upper midrange-treble.  It's not like PA systems are high fidelity in the first place, and the acoustics of concrete floors don't help either.

I was about 16 when I went to see The Who back then. 
wink.gif
 How old do you guys think I am?

I heard them at the old CNE grandstand (out doors). I've heard/seen AC/DC, Sabbath, and Alice Copper at the old Maple Leaf Gardens (again...all in my late teens).

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:03 PM Post #115 of 4,127

The last rock concert I went to was when I was in my early 20s (i.e. Bon Jovi or something like that).  I do remember the booming bass...I do have a recollection of Piercing treble...but my memory is kind of faded.  Maybe other head-fiers can chime in and clarify the situation with regards to the sound you get in rock concerts.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM Post #117 of 4,127
  Someone once said that the HD800's sound like high end speakers, while the LCDs sound like real life and I really like that analogy.

Are these "high end speakers" in this analogy high end flat studio monitors or high end HiFi speakers?

Because high end HiFi speakers don´t sound like real life, but high end flat studio monitors do.

I own and have listened to many high end flat studio monitors and LCD-2/3 doesn´t sound anything like flat studio monitors. They sound muffled and scooped from the upper mids like I´ve said. That doesn´t mean that the flat studio monitors sound ear piercing in the upper mids, they just sound "real", unlike the LCD-2/3, which sound "not real" to me, but sound good still. Sometimes, actually quite often "not real" sounds better than "real". People have their own preferences and it´s subjective. Some like "not real" sound more, some like "real" sound more.

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM Post #119 of 4,127
  I understand what you say.  Well...so we agree why extended treble and subdued bass is desired in headphones by classical music lovers.  The problems is understanding why people who go to rock concerts do not appear to like treble happy phones when they get a mega dose of it live concerts.  They like the "Beats" headphones, which are boomy and utterly lacking in treble.  Now, that is, indeed, weird.

The number of generalizations in that comment is staggering.  

FWIW, I love classical music...and can't listen to HD800's for more than 30 minutes.

I go to an occasional rock concert, and don't like 'Beats'.  

Nov 24, 2013 at 9:08 PM Post #120 of 4,127

Are these "high end speakers" in this analogy high end flat studio monitors or high end HiFi speakers?

Because high end HiFi speakers don´t sound like real life, but high end flat studio monitors do.

I own and have listened to many high end flat studio monitors and LCD-2/3 doesn´t sound anything like flat studio monitors. They sound muffled and scooped from the upper mids like I´ve said. That doesn´t mean that the flat studio monitors sound ear piercing in the upper mids, they just sound "real", unlike the LCD-2/3, which sound "not real" to me, but sound good still. Sometimes, actually quite often "not real" sounds better than "real". People have their own preferences and it´s subjective. Some like "not real" sound more, some like "real" sound more.

HD800s = really good speakers, LCD-3/X = natural. Flat studio monitors / HiFi speakers were not part of my discussion.

In your 80s!  

In about 40 years. If I were in my eighties, I wouldn't get this rock and roll music the kids keep talkin' about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back