Audeze LCD-X
Nov 7, 2013 at 4:28 AM Post #826 of 12,748
  I'm not going agree with this. I'd take a T1/WA2 over a " well driven HE-6" and I'd take the LCD-3/X over them either the T1 or HE-6 (oh wait...I did already 
tongue.gif
). YMMV of course. 
redface.gif

These LCD-X headphones are picking up where they left off last night...impressing the bejezus out of me. Very clean and transparent headphones. I'm going to have to say that these image better than the LCD-3s...and their quickness and instrumental separation is outstanding. After a little Mozart and Mahler with them, they are really well suited for this genre. Something I really didn't totally feel with the LCD-3s (though I don't really listen to classical music much FWIW).

the HE-6 sound like they have a ton of potential, as of now though, i probably would take a LCD-X over the HE-6 though if i decide not to pursue a speaker amp.

i just like the HE-6's bass, its so tight and controlled, like the bass i'm looking for.  like T1 decay but stronger. everything else, i do prefer the T1 though. only thing i don't like about HE-6 is brightness, it gets bright easily, probably cause its still not perfectly driven.

so have you decided if the LCD-3 will go or are you keeping both audeze's?

btw, im still debating on whether just keeping HE-500 and getting LCD-X would be better. i've noticed the HE-500 just lack some sub-bass presence and control that the HE-6 have (something which i really like about the HE-6, its so tactile and powerful and deep sounding, yet controlled) , but the midbass on the HE-500 is actually nicer and punchier.

like this track, the HE-6 presents the bass the best, the LCD-3 does ok as well but different. u should try it on the LCD-X! especially the 2nd half

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:06 AM Post #827 of 12,748
Hmmn, reports here are tempting, this sounds like it will suit my needs better than my LCD-2, although still sounding like (for me) it'll fall short of the HE-6 I had and sold. LOVED the HE-6 sound driving it off my Audio-GD Ref 10, brightness an asset with my touch of high frequency hearing loss. Only sold the HE-6 as it just rewarded turning the volume up and more and more, and I really need to take care not to damage my hearing any further. Really trying to find that sound in an easier to drive headphone, and while this tidies up some of the things I don't like in relation to my LCD-2 and metal, it sounds like it probably isn't quite going to do it for me either (and the ways it differs from the LCD-2 may not be an asset for the things I love using them for). Another HP to add to my "to audition" list when I'm in Melbourne for Soundwave next February.

Thanks for your impressions so far folks, keep 'em coming!

I think I shall have to stalk your posts Dubstep Girl, you sound like you value a fairly close sound to what I like (getting my T1 this weekend, looking forward to it!).

Nov 7, 2013 at 5:52 AM Post #828 of 12,748
  I really do not really think about how much aesthetics of the headphones when we are talking about headphones as expensive as these... I mean performance/price ratio is already quite bad and I really do not think we need worse ratio. :p

That said, I think I might not getting Audeze and instead grabbing TH-900... Way too good deal to pass it on.

Included that in the review. LCD-X looks very good and pleasing to the eyes.

I would like to know what music genres are best suited for the LCD-X, as opposed to the 2.2 / 3. I have a 2.2, and LOVE the bass and drum slam for rock / metal / hip-hop / electronic music.

I've been wanting to upgrade to a 3 for better clarity, more open soundstage, and slightly more forward vocal presentation, but I'm not so sure anymore because it seems like the "liquid smooth, more neutral" description it always seems to get suits more audiophile / acoustic / pretty type music. That, and the fact that there is less bass quantity, which is a trade-off for better bass quality from what I've read.

I'm a band director / music teacher, and so I listen to and love many genres of music, but the majority of my collection is rock / metal / alternative. When I do upgrade, whether it be to an Audeze, T1, HE-6, TH-900, Alpha Dog, etc, I want the ideal match for that majority.

Unfortunately, I live in a small town in south Texas, probably couldn't make it to Dallas for a meet, and know I probably won't be able to listen to any of these before I make a purchase. I place my faith in you all. Help me Obi-Wan. :D

Noted. Included in the review, but will make a sneak preview. I like LCD-X more with voices than LCD-3 as the 3 seem to have recessed voices (&treble and upper mids)  after listening to the X. I found the LCD-X to be very good with all genres, as it has a very balanced sound presentation. The X has faster transients making it overall faster than LCD-3 and with better PRAT (you may like it more for rock).

Nov 7, 2013 at 6:16 AM Post #829 of 12,748
Noted. Included in the review, but will make a sneak preview. I like LCD-X more with voices than LCD-3 as the 3 seem to have recessed voices (&treble and upper mids)  after listening to the X. I found the LCD-X to be very good with all genres, as it has a very balanced sound presentation. The X has faster transients making it overall faster than LCD-3 and with better PRAT (you may like it more for rock).

beerchug.gif

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:07 AM Post #830 of 12,748

the HE-6 sound like they have a ton of potential, as of now though, i probably would take a LCD-X over the HE-6 though if i decide not to pursue a speaker amp.

i just like the HE-6's bass, its so tight and controlled, like the bass i'm looking for.  like T1 decay but stronger. everything else, i do prefer the T1 though. only thing i don't like about HE-6 is brightness, it gets bright easily, probably cause its still not perfectly driven.

btw, im still debating on whether just keeping HE-500 and getting LCD-X would be better. i've noticed the HE-500 just lack some sub-bass presence and control that the HE-6 have (something which i really like about the HE-6, its so tactile and powerful and deep sounding, yet controlled) , but the midbass on the HE-500 is actually nicer and punchier.

like this track, the HE-6 presents the bass the best, the LCD-3 does ok as well but different. u should try it on the LCD-X! especially the 2nd half

If you keep only the GS-X mk2 and other "headphone amps" I'd say yes the LCD-3, LCD-X or even the HE-500 may be a good choice.  However, those headphones "can't" scale nowhere near as high as the HE-6.  The HE-6 will pull away from all of them in certain areas and become more balanced than either (not heard the LCD-X yet).  IMO Thresholds, First Watts and the Master 3 all will bring the best out the HE-6.  

If you like the HE-6 on the GS-X mk2 now - Just wait until you play with a few speaker amps.  Your be in for a treat no doubt.

The question is do you want to build your rig around "1" headphone, because the speaker amp most likely will not be a good match with the other headphones.

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:13 AM Post #831 of 12,748

If you keep only the GS-X mk2 and other "headphone amps" I'd say yes the LCD-3, LCD-X or even the HE-500 may be a good choice.  However, those headphones "can't" scale nowhere near as high as the HE-6.  The HE-6 will pull away from all of them in certain areas and become more balanced than either (not heard the LCD-X yet).  IMO Thresholds, First Watts and the Master 3 all will bring the best out the HE-6.  

If you like the HE-6 on the GS-X mk2 now - Just wait until you play with a few speaker amps.  Your be in for a treat no doubt.

The question is do you want to build your rig around "1" headphone, because the speaker amp most likely will not be a good match with the other headphones.

It will be if it is a good amplifier - provided you use some form of resistor box (which would not be necessary with the HE-6 due to their low efficiency).

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:26 AM Post #833 of 12,748
Coming from the Lyr, I am used to a bit of hum and noise - doesn't concern me too much ... but for most people the resistor box would be necessary with most headphones (the HE-6 is the only exception I can think of), just to "pad down" the output and get rid of some excess gain ... but the results can be VERY good (despite it being a bit of a "bumblebee" arrangement ... ie. it SHOULDN'T be able to fly - and yet it does).  The advantage is that if you already have a good speaker amp, you can try it for yourself, and make up your own mind.  Or if you don't have a good speaker amp yet, it gives you a good excuse to buy one 
wink_face.gif
 ... and it will even drive your speakers well.  Money and space and cables being saved (and spent on as few components as possible to maximise their quality) always works for me.  Having said that, I still lust after a GSX II or a Ragnorok (pending after release reviews filtered through a VERY heavy "Anti-Flavour-of-the-Month" filter to counteract the HYPE !!! which happens - naturally - when people are excited and wish to proselytise).

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM Post #834 of 12,748

The he6 on a speaker amp is truly impressive. For that matter the he6 on a vintage receiver, ie Pioneer sx1280 which uses the same output stage on the hp jack as for the speakers, would be end game for many I'd guess. I hear people who are impressed by the he6 raise an issue about the treble being a touch hot. I wonder what the modified pads by Jerg would do for the treble on the he6. I can say that the pads do an appreciable job reigning in the treble on the he4. But the Jergpads weren't around when I had the he6.

The lcd-x held high interest for me and I'm glad to see that it's getting favorable reviews and impressions early on. The price and the weight have put me off of this hp though unfortunately. I was hoping for something closer to $1k for price and 500 grams. Anything past that price and I'm looking for a new wife. 
rolleyes.gif

The combination of a totl closed ortho was and is a compelling combination. I'd be interested in someone who has the Alpha Dog chiming in with a comparison if I didn't miss those comments. 

Nov 7, 2013 at 7:35 AM Post #835 of 12,748
One thing to note - for any newcomers - is that the reason MattTCG says "vintage" receiver is that it is an important distinction to make - especially when driving the HE-6 - as their headphone jacks tended to take a "tap" from the speaker output ... and are hence quite powerful as regards wattage and current.  Most headphone jacks and most receivers are crappy (using op-amps).  There is a forum here dedicated to vintage receivers I believe ... which I should check out at some stage ...  Apologies for everyone (probably most of you) who already know this ... but a 1990 Sansui is NOT a "vintage receiver" kids !!

Nov 7, 2013 at 10:46 AM Post #838 of 12,748
  I'm not going agree with this. I'd take a T1/WA2 over a " well driven HE-6" and I'd take the LCD-3/X over them either the T1 or HE-6 (oh wait...I did already 
tongue.gif
). YMMV of course. 
redface.gif

These LCD-X headphones are picking up where they left off last night...impressing the bejezus out of me. Very clean and transparent headphones. I'm going to have to say that these image better than the LCD-3s...and their quickness and instrumental separation is outstanding. After a little Mozart and Mahler with them, they are really well suited for this genre. Something I really didn't totally feel with the LCD-3s (though I don't really listen to classical music much FWIW).

Thanks, MH.  We hadn't heard much about how classical music sounds on the X as yet.  Appreciate it.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:46 AM Post #839 of 12,748
  There's a severe lack of XC impressions!

Agree 100%. XC owners (all six of you, perhaps), don't be shy!

I'm debating the XC to complement my HD800, or the X as a complement/potential replacement.

Nov 7, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #840 of 12,748
  Thanks, MH.  We hadn't heard much about how classical music sounds on the X as yet.  Appreciate it.

Agreed, thanks Peter. When $$$ got tight and I needed to downsize, I kept the HD800 and sold the LCD-3 because the latter just couldn't do symphonic classical. If the X/XC does Mahler right, it might be a game changer for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back