Audeze LCD-X
Nov 4, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #12,466 of 12,748
I've actually been calling the Oratory 1990 the Harman curve because I thought that's what it was. So any reference I made above to the Harman curve is actually to the Oratory 1990. And yes, it sounds good! I lightened the bass just a tad and vary the treble depending on the actual recording I'm listening to. I think Amir's settings also sound good, but I actually added a touch more bass to his. His are based on testing and graphing the response of the LCD-X, so some science behind his too.
Ya you're right it should be the harman curve. The only reason why it wouldn't be, and probably isn't "perfect" is because Audeze continues to revise and because there is always SOME unit variation with planar headphones (it's hard to make the thin films that they use in the drivers). So your headphone probably doesn't measure exactly the same as the one Oratory measured. Either way you can get super close to harman by using his settings because the unit variance is still relatively low. By looking at older graphs and comparing with newer ones it looks like they are trying to level out the bass even more while maintaining the darker upper mids and also smoothing upper treble peaks but no confirmation from Audeze on that. Either way... this issue I'm talking about is a small one. The LCD-X is still a phenomenal headphone with EQ and ideally something like the Oratory1990 settings that bring it close to harman.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 11:18 PM Post #12,467 of 12,748
I sure would like to find something like that Oratory 1990 for the Clear Mg's. Do you know if that exists?

Edit: I just found the list of Oratory measured headphones (Google was my friend). They have the OG Clear but not the Clear Mg, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2021 at 11:28 PM Post #12,468 of 12,748
I sure would like to find something like that Oratory 1990 for the Clear Mg's. Do you know if that exists?

Edit: I just found the list of Oratory measured headphones (Google was my friend). They have the OG Clear but not the Clear Mg, unfortunately

Oratory doesn't have one but AutoEq has an EQ Profile based off of Crinacle's measurements which may be worth trying. I'll send it to you out of this thread.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #12,469 of 12,748
Also, I can’t believe we’re arguing about curves here. There is information available on this. Most people prefer the Harman curve. Unless you have measured your headphones on an industry standard rig and adjust them to the harman curve I don’t know how you can claim that your curve is really superior to anyone else’s. This is all subjective. Oratory1990 has the most “objective” EQ profile and I based my EQ off of it. It sounds great to me and it’s not because I have hearing loss or anything else it’s because it’s close to the harman target curve.

Also, Audeze has their house curve that the LCD-5 was based off of. It’s a little darker in the upper treble. I reckon it probably sounds amazing. Focused and full in the mids with quick but present bass. At the end of the day though, it sounds good because it’s close to the harman curve which is predictive of sound quality.

Who is arguing ? Certainly not me.

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #12,470 of 12,748
Any recommendations for someone who has a rather small head and feels like they don’t have enough clamping force to get a good seal? I’ve been looking at Dekoni pads as I read that they are slightly thicker than stock but wasn’t sure how they would change sound. I don’t feel like the stock pads are uncomfortable at all and the overall weight doesn’t bother me. I am adjusted all the way to the shortest configuration so I really can’t experiment with that aspect as going up a click just makes the problem worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 9, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #12,471 of 12,748
Any recommendations for someone who has a rather small head and feels like they don’t have enough clamping force to get a good seal? I’ve been looking at Dekoni pads as I read that they are slightly thicker than stock but wasn’t sure how they would change sound. I don’t feel like the stock pads are uncomfortable at all and the overall weight doesn’t bother me. I am adjusted all the way to the shortest configuration so I really can’t experiment with that aspect as going up a click just makes the problem worse. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
There used to be an aftermarket strap that you could install that I think might've helped you. I had one on my LCD-2's. Seems like I read that Audeze started offering something similar themselves, then actually started incorporated it into the new models, so the '21 LCD-X's might already have it or something similar. I didn't have an issue with the new LCD-X's when I had them so maybe they did. Anyway, I might start looking onto something like that if I were you. Those pads are already so thick I don't think that's what you want to change as a first option. The strap gives them support that helps the earcups sit comfortably at a level that may work better for you.

Nov 9, 2021 at 9:40 PM Post #12,472 of 12,748
There used to be an aftermarket strap that you could install that I think might've helped you. I had one on my LCD-2's. Seems like I read that Audeze started offering something similar themselves, then actually started incorporated it into the new models, so the '21 LCD-X's might already have it or something similar. I didn't have an issue with the new LCD-X's when I had them so maybe they did. Anyway, I might start looking onto something like that if I were you. Those pads are already so thick I don't think that's what you want to change as a first option. The strap gives them support that helps the earcups sit comfortably at a level that may work better for you.
I looks and see if I can track that down, thanks for the help!

Nov 19, 2021 at 6:32 AM Post #12,473 of 12,748
This sounds nice too! Audeze LCD-x 2021 SPL Phonitor SE/ SPL DAC.

20211116_054950982_iOS.jpg

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #12,476 of 12,748
After testing a couple of headphones, I'm thinking of getting the LCD-X.
My current setup is the V-DAC and Schiit Magni, both original versions.
Would you think it's worth it to replace some of those units to get the most out of the new headphones?

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #12,480 of 12,748
Has anyone encountered an audible channel imbalance with their LCD-X? I am contemplating a pair of the 2021 model but so far I've demo'd two different pairs where the vocals sound quite clearly off centre.
I do but it’s negligible but mine is a pre 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Back