Audeze LCD-X
Sep 12, 2021 at 1:31 AM Post #12,392 of 12,748
Do all LCD X that come
in economy travel case have 2021 revisions? Including b stock ones. I was thinking of buying open box/b-stock LCD X and the seller told me they bought a few b-stock units directly from audeze and they're from 2020, but it comes in the 2021 economy travel case, so I was confused. He can't give the serial number either as that particular unit might not be the one that's shipped.
Also, anyone bought b-stock LCD X in the last few months?

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #12,393 of 12,748
Just wanted to add to the measurements.

Here's the pair I got.

Attachments

• 7530587- Redwan.jpg
    7530587- Redwan.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 26, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #12,394 of 12,748
Can someone tell me how to distinguish the 2020 from the 2021 version?

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:49 PM Post #12,395 of 12,748

The serial number gives you the most direct method. Compare it to the serials below. If your serial number is higher than those listed, it's the latest revision.

For those who may be curious, here are the start dates and serials for the new configuration:

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather-Free 7527615

11/9/20 LCD-XC Leather 8523700

11/23/20 LCD-X Leather 7527600

11/23/20 LCD-XC Leather-Free 8523710

If you have specific questions, please email support@audeze.com

Also check out our discord server: https://discord.gg/audeze

You can also email Audeze with your serial number if you have a few days to wait. Or, if you have them in hand, simply count the Fazor bars: 6 for the new revision, 8 for the older version.

Sep 28, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #12,396 of 12,748
Do all LCD X that come in economy travel case have 2021 revisions? Including b stock ones. I was thinking of buying open box/b-stock LCD X and the seller told me they bought a few b-stock units directly from audeze and they're from 2020.
Yes....they should but the only guarantee is checking the serial number. Also worth noting is some early production run units of the 2021 revisions didn’t ship in the economy case. I bought my LCD-X in early February (prior to the news of the 2021 revisions being made public) from Adorama and they came sealed from Audeze in the old plain Jane cardboard box.

I later learned based on the serial number they were in fact the 2021 version (which began production in November 2020.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #12,397 of 12,748

Aside from the serial numbers they are physically different. If you feel inside the ear cup you can feel the fazors and count them. The ‘21 LCD-X has 6 fazors......the earlier versions had 8

Attachments

• 533C84BC-BE52-46A5-B2E7-9A24D9DBFE22.jpeg
    533C84BC-BE52-46A5-B2E7-9A24D9DBFE22.jpeg
    725.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 8B51CC85-004D-4537-9AAA-F03BD6616F35.jpeg
    8B51CC85-004D-4537-9AAA-F03BD6616F35.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 29, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #12,398 of 12,748
I really like the current version.
Of course, adjusted according to Harman.

20210928_184216.jpg
Screenshot_20210927-090353_Samsung Internet.jpg

Sep 30, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #12,399 of 12,748
I'm really fascinated by the harman target curve. I really like the default sound of the 2021 LCD-X and to my own ears and preference right now I do believe that it sounds neutral. No matter what I have tried so far I haven't been able to improve on Bitperfect playback that bypasses the system mixer via drivers or exclusive modes and no DSP.

I tried the preset made by Andrew Park using the peace extension on equalizer APO and it sounded extremely overcooked and just REALLY BAD. I absolutely hated the sound. I'm an audio engineer and one thing that I know is that an equalizer is not an equalizer. There are phase and ringing issues that come with a lot of equalizers. On a headphone like the LCD-X, my experience with them from engineering audio on them is that they reveal the shortcomings in a bad equalizer easily. One thing about using equalizer APO EQ is that right off from the start you have to give up bit perfect playback, then you have an unknown EQ that I suspect isn't the best flowing through the windows mixer and resampling, downsampling truncating and who knows what else.

I'm going to try the same eq curve using Fabfilter Pro Q 3. It's a mastering grade EQ VST plugin via an ASIO driver. That's probably just about the ideal way to run eq on your playback system. I saw someone in the headphones.com community doing exactly this in the LCD-X thread over there via Audirvana IIRC.

I think I'm going to give that a try. I really want to give the Harman target a listen under ideal conditions so that I can truly hear what it sounds like on the LCD-X.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #12,400 of 12,748
I'm really fascinated by the harman target curve. I really like the default sound of the 2021 LCD-X and to my own ears and preference right now I do believe that it sounds neutral. No matter what I have tried so far I haven't been able to improve on Bitperfect playback that bypasses the system mixer via drivers or exclusive modes and no DSP.

I tried the preset made by Andrew Park using the peace extension on equalizer APO and it sounded extremely overcooked and just REALLY BAD. I absolutely hated the sound. I'm an audio engineer and one thing that I know is that an equalizer is not an equalizer. There are phase and ringing issues that come with a lot of equalizers. On a headphone like the LCD-X, my experience with them from engineering audio on them is that they reveal the shortcomings in a bad equalizer easily. One thing about using equalizer APO EQ is that right off from the start you have to give up bit perfect playback, then you have an unknown EQ that I suspect isn't the best flowing through the windows mixer and resampling, downsampling truncating and who knows what else.

I'm going to try the same eq curve using Fabfilter Pro Q 3. It's a mastering grade EQ VST plugin via an ASIO driver. That's probably just about the ideal way to run eq on your playback system. I saw someone in the headphones.com community doing exactly this in the LCD-X thread over there via Audirvana IIRC.

I think I'm going to give that a try. I really want to give the Harman target a listen under ideal conditions so that I can truly hear what it sounds like on the LCD-X.

You can try my own EQ.
Low shelf +6db 77hz 1 Q (3-6 gain there up to taste)
Low shelf +2,5db 150hz 0,8 Q (gain there up to taste, +1,5db is good too)
Peak +2db 2,5khz 2,5 Q
Peak +4db 3,7khz 4,5 Q
Peak -1db 5,8khz 5 Q
High shelf +2,5db 8,1khz 0,7 Q

To me this way the X sound the most enjoyable.

Oct 1, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #12,401 of 12,748
Has anyone here compared X with the MX4?
Can one speak of an upgrade?

Oct 1, 2021 at 9:47 AM Post #12,402 of 12,748

Very much agree with this. Blindly adjusting to Harman curve is a very bad idea (and frankly quite silly)!! There is a reason our Reveal presets does not do that either. Harman curve was developed based on listener preference using a specific rig, but it does not fully account for variability of headphone measurements on a specific rig, especially in the upper mids and treble. On LCD-X, I may boost a few dB centered at 4kHz and perhaps a bass shelf (depending on taste) but that is about it.

Edit: Fitting to Harman target on most of our LCD line of headphones, to my ears has resulted in a very bright signature, it may sound impressive on first listen or during A/B and some may prefer the forward sounding treble, but I do not consider it either natural or neutral.

Edit2: There are other headphones (HD800 comes to mind) where fitting to Harman target would work very well because the measurements on 45CA translate quite well to what we hear, but it has not been the case for most of our models.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #12,403 of 12,748
Jeeez...🤩

Screenshot_20211001-180455_Neutron Player.jpg

Oct 1, 2021 at 12:06 PM Post #12,404 of 12,748
For the technically inclined, you can refer: SE. E.. Olive, T. Welti, and E. McMullin, "A Virtual Headphone Listening Test Methodology," Paper 3-5, (2013 August.)

Harman conducted studies to see how good virtual headphone was to the real headphone as this formed the basis for future studies in developing the Harman target.

While developing the preferred headphone response/target, in order to avoid listener bias due to visual or ergonomic factors, instead of using different headphones, a single headphone (such as HD518 in this paper) was used to create a virtual headphone. i.e., HD518 was first EQd to flat, then it was made to match the measurements of other headphones and LCD2 was the preferred headphone in many of these early studies.

Two important takeaway were:
  1. LCD2 (HP1) was the most preferred (ranked 1) headphone when no virtual headphone was used (i.e., original headphone was used) but it fell to the second rank when virtual headphone was used.
  2. LCD2 (HP1) had the least (in fact abysmal) correlation between the actual headphone and the virtual headphone (0.05, 1.0 being the best). I.e., LCD2 was virtualized the worst. Quoting directly from the paper:
The discrepancy between tests in the perceived spectral balance for HP1 is more difficult to explain and requires further investigation. In the virtual test, HP1 was perceived to have less low bass and too much midrange compared to the standard test where it was judged to have a close-to-ideal spectral balance. This could explain why it received a lower preference rating in the virtual test

Historically, LCD series are not very 'photogenic' when it comes to measurement and what you see on the graph is not what you get

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #12,405 of 12,748
Fresh 2021 LCD-X owner in the works here,. Tried one a few years ago and it was a mishmash of being slightly too heavy, headband slightly uncomfortable and the sound being a little unbalanced and cloudy sounding without the DSP program. But now that that's all fixed I am glad to give it a shot again! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back