Audeze LCD-X
Jul 15, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #12,256 of 12,748
i find both my audeze lcd-x and lcd-3 to be very comfortable -- i can wear them for hours without an issue. granted, i live in the northeast, but i don't have any issue with them being hot on my head.

while certainly heavier, i find the headphones much better than my hd600 which have a vise-like clamp.
I agree with this. I've been alternating been my LCD-X and Beyer T1.2 throughout the day today. In fact, my Beyer T1.2 feels slightly less comfortable on my head despite despite being so much smaller and lighter. I think I Audeze have done great in the ergonomics of the LCD-X. The weight distribution is extremely good for me. The two downsides so far, which I can live with, are some pressure on the cheekbone between my eyes and ears. I need to experiment with positioning the earcups to see if I can address these pressure points.

The second one is some heat buildup. It's summer and quite hot here in London but the heat buildup isn't bad enough to cause discomfort. It's just noticeable after about 30 minutes of listening.

I did read reports of neck and shoulder pain/discomfort being caused due to the weight. I barely feel them on my head! As I mentioned, they feel a little more comfortable than my Beyer T1.2s.

Jul 15, 2021 at 4:17 PM Post #12,257 of 12,748
Scratch (no pun intended) what I said earlier about the fit and finish. While I will maintain that the all-black finish of the LCD-X is probably a better fit for someone who is more annoyed by tiny imperfections
I need to point out that Audeze needs to up their game in terms of quality control.

These headphones came to me with this mark on them. It was covered up by a sort of “gummy/gritty” residue that I assumed to be adhesive from the pads. I went to wipe it using a slightly damp cloth and it came right off easily revealing this scratch that goes down to the underlying metal.

It’s super annoying to have products coming from the manufacturer with cosmetic imperfections like this that can be avoided. The retailer had not handled the product. It came perfectly sealed and I trust this retailer quite a bit. They have sold me other gear in the past all in fantastic shape. If Audeze needs me to send these back (which I’d really not prefer to do) this will be the second set of Audeze cans I’ve had to return due to an
undisclosed cosmetic flaw. They actually shipped a third headphone with a cosmetic flaw to me but this one was much more minor and they actually sent me a replacement part to fix it.

@Audeze Please find a way to fix this with a part. Or send me a balanced cable, carbon headband or something to make up for it. This is unacceptable for it to happen to the same person twice.
I think it's best not to inspect new gear too closely as long as it's working properly. If you look hard enough you'll find a flaw in just about everything. I think I could live with that small scratch without too much anguish but I'm glad Audeze has offered to make it right. I'd certainly rather live with it then send them in and be without the headphones for 3 weeks or more.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 7:42 PM Post #12,258 of 12,748
I think it's best not to inspect new gear too closely as long as it's working properly. If you look hard enough you'll find a flaw in just about everything. I think I could live with that small scratch without too much anguish but I'm glad Audeze has offered to make it right. I'd certainly rather live with it then send them in and be without the headphones for 3 weeks or more.

Audeze has privately offered a solution that works well for me. Their customer service is phenomenal. I agree, sending them back is a hassle (and additional cost). I understand that people care to different degrees about problems like this. For me, it’s quite a big deal. Even knowing in a year or two I may cause a scratch like this myself… it is really important to me for it to come out of the box looking perfect. It’s one thing for there to be an imperfection in wood grain or leather but, as I see it, these aluminum rings must be quite cheap (to replace) and easy to touch up. It’s too bad that this wasn’t done properly in their final inspection. Either way. Great customer service from audeze has ameliorated the situation.

Jul 16, 2021 at 9:08 PM Post #12,259 of 12,748
Hey all, enjoying my LCD-X 2021 (during the limited periods I actually get to listen to them cough baby cough). Had a few questions:

— Do mids/vocals seem a little recessed to you folks? Sometimes vocals just seem a little too far away, prompting higher volumes.

— I’ll try to post my set’s frequency graph from Audeze. It appears to be graphed in a different representation than, say, the Harman target, so not sure how to equalize it. Would, say, Resolve’s EQ settings be appropriate for it?

- Does the LCD-X scale with better DACs/amps, given how easy it is to drive?

Thanks so much!

D8D05F62-4CAE-4195-A9C3-B377B9688E11.jpeg
I’m using the following settings posted by user @Golyatx

+6db 150Hz Q 0.7 - low shelf
+3db 4.7kHz Q 0.8 - peak

It’s absolutely perfect for me after those two adjustments for most anything I can throw at it.

Jul 17, 2021 at 5:46 AM Post #12,260 of 12,748
I’m using the following settings posted by user @Golyatx

+6db 150Hz Q 0.7 - low shelf
+3db 4.7kHz Q 0.8 - peak

It’s absolutely perfect for me after those two adjustments for most anything I can throw at it.
I'm just starting out on EQ. I have Audirvana on Mac and I tried Audeze Reveal+ trial with configuration via Audirvana, but it sounded terrible with lots of crackles (possibly clipping). What software are you using to enter those settings in?

I presume I need a Parametric EQ of some sort? Apologies if these are very 'newbie' questions but I'm just looking to get to the point of being able to play with EQ settings as I listen to music and adjust things until they sound good to me.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #12,261 of 12,748
I'm just starting out on EQ. I have Audirvana on Mac and I tried Audeze Reveal+ trial with configuration via Audirvana, but it sounded terrible with lots of crackles (possibly clipping). What software are you using to enter those settings in?

I presume I need a Parametric EQ of some sort? Apologies if these are very 'newbie' questions but I'm just looking to get to the point of being able to play with EQ settings as I listen to music and adjust things until they sound good to me.
I’m using Roon (I ditched Audirvana when Studio was announced). Any Parametric EQ should work, if you are experiencing clipping it sounds like you need a headroom adjustment to offset the EQ. (This should be part of any DSP adjustments really)

Using the settings from above as an example try -6dB headroom adjustment (since the largest increase is in PEQ is a +6dB boost in the above settings). I had to bump it down to -6.5dB personally as I noticed clipping on some poorly mastered tracks and needed the additional headroom.

Jul 17, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #12,262 of 12,748
I’m using Roon (I ditched Audirvana when Studio was announced). Any Parametric EQ should work, if you are experiencing clipping it sounds like you need a headroom adjustment to offset the EQ. (This should be part of any DSP adjustments really)

Using the settings from above as an example try -6dB headroom adjustment (since the largest increase is in PEQ is a +6dB boost in the above settings). I had to bump it down to -6.5dB personally as I noticed clipping on some poorly mastered tracks and needed the additional headroom.
Okay, thanks. I played around with Reveal+ and have understood it a bit more now. I can leave out all of the customised things and just leave the LCD-X correction. It seems to be more for mixing music.

As for Audirvana, it looks like I need to find an EQ plugin (like Toneboosters EQ 4) and work on that. But, to be honest, the headphones sound fantastic as they are! However, I will do some EQ just for gaining knowledge about EQ.

Jul 17, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #12,263 of 12,748
Okay, thanks. I played around with Reveal+ and have understood it a bit more now. I can leave out all of the customised things and just leave the LCD-X correction. It seems to be more for mixing music.

As for Audirvana, it looks like I need to find an EQ plugin (like Toneboosters EQ 4) and work on that. But, to be honest, the headphones sound fantastic as they are! However, I will do some EQ just for gaining knowledge about EQ.
If you are using a mac I’d look into Sound Source by Rogue Amoeba. You can run almost any EQ plugin with it and it will apply the correction system-wide. You can also switch sample rates super easily if you have a music library with many different types of files. It also lets you run your Mac’s native parametric EQ plugin from GarageBand

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2021 at 10:04 PM Post #12,264 of 12,748

FYI the Reveal+ plug-in for LCD-X is not for the 2021 model (it’s for the earlier Fazor model). Audeze will be releasing a new plug-in for the 2021 revision, but haven’t stated when to expect it. The tuning on these two models is extremely different, the 2021 model needs a low shelf but not much more than that. It’s relatively flat otherwise.

Jul 18, 2021 at 1:55 AM Post #12,265 of 12,748
FYI the Reveal+ plug-in for LCD-X is not for the 2021 model (it’s for the earlier Fazor model). Audeze will be releasing a new plug-in for the 2021 revision, but haven’t stated when to expect it. The tuning on these two models is extremely different, the 2021 model needs a low shelf but not much more than that. It’s relatively flat otherwise.
Oh, okay, I didn’t realise that!

I got some tuning parameters from Oratory1990’s site which I added into AunbandEQ (AU) which were for the 2021 LCD-X which worked as far as tuning was concerned but Audirvana can‘t save presets in that plugin so having Audeze’s plugin just for thE EQ is the preferred option at the moment.

I’ll keep an eye out for the updated Reveal+.

Jul 19, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #12,266 of 12,748
Speaking of EQ is there a way to EQ the two sides of my LCD-X with different values? I have some hearing loss in the high frequency in one ear and I was thinking that maybe I could fiddle around with EQ to boost the highs a bit more on the left side than on the right one. Does anyone have experiences with this?

Jul 19, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #12,267 of 12,748
Speaking of EQ is there a way to EQ the two sides of my LCD-X with different values? I have some hearing loss in the high frequency in one ear and I was thinking that maybe I could fiddle around with EQ to boost the highs a bit more on the left side than on the right one. Does anyone have experiences with this?
I know the RME ADI-2 DAC has L/R EQ but might be some software out there that can do the same

Jul 20, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #12,269 of 12,748
Audeze kindly sent me the FR graph for my 2021 LCD-X:

mKuOv99.jpg

Do I need to EQ or are things good enough? I see there is a bump at around 11K but I have no idea if it's significant or not.

Jul 20, 2021 at 10:02 AM Post #12,270 of 12,748
Audeze kindly sent me the FR graph for my 2021 LCD-X:

mKuOv99.jpg

Do I need to EQ or are things good enough? I see there is a bump at around 11K but I have no idea if it's significant or not.
Good looking graph! Looks very smooth. Bit of a roll-off in the lowest registers.

I think it’s always worthwhile to at least try an EQ (it’s free after all). You can try a simple +4dB bass shelf and a -2-3dB high shelf for that peak after 9.5K. See if that makes your music more enjoyable. Or go all out with oratory1990’s EQ profile for the ‘21 LCD-X.

All up to you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back