Audeze LCD-X
Jul 14, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #12,241 of 12,748
Probably more than ok for all the above. I tried mine with the BTR5, iFi Zen CAN & Singxer and the only obvious difference was going from BTR5 to Zen CAN. I can't justify the Singxer anymore. They sound the same.

On another note, after 4 months I have to say the new pads are really awful. As good as they sound they are just to squishy and my left ear is touching the fazor. It quite uncomfortable really to the point that I don't care how good they sound. I can not wear them anymore. Only left cup has this problem like I mentioned a few times here. I tried inserts inside, under the pads to try and lift it but my ear is still rubbing against it. I do not have this problem with all my other headphones. Even the 600 series which are practically right against my ear, feel more comfortable... Sad day but I will be selling them. I would try some Dekoni pads but if they alter the sound what's the point...

Yea this is also problem for me since May I have them... sometimes its good, but I hate it too :frowning2: and from what I read its unchangable? Its sticked to it.. adhesive.. sorry bad english.

Jul 14, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #12,242 of 12,748
Yea this is also problem for me since May I have them... sometimes its good, but I hate it too :frowning2: and from what I read its unchangable? Its sticked to it.. adhesive.. sorry bad english.
I mean, you can change them. I did, three times with no success. For some reason the left cup just squishes. Not what I expected buying a +1K headphone really...

Jul 14, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #12,243 of 12,748
I mean, you can change them. I did, three times with no success. For some reason the left cup just squishes. Not what I expected buying a +1K headphone really...
There must be some alternative way... and in our case, I would prefer comfort over SQ

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:22 AM Post #12,244 of 12,748
I've owned many headphones over $1000.00 and high price seems to have very little to do with high build quality. HiFiMan are well know for mediocre build quality and spotty QA/QC. Audeze has had a variety of problems over the years and I had a Focal Clear where the headband rattled with the slightest head movement and a second sample was better but still noisy. Sennheiser seems to be the only one that has truly figured out how to make headphones that are durable, dependable and comfortable.

Jul 14, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #12,245 of 12,748
wondering if anyone has experience driving these with any of the Geshelli labs stuff… if not. How do the schiit stacks work with it? JDS element?
I’ve tried comparing a Dragonfly Cobalt, Qudelix 5K, and Schiit IEMagni/Modi3+. The differences are slight — Schiit stack maybe more bass slam, DFC maybe a little airier on top.

You know what does make a big difference? EQ.

Jul 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #12,246 of 12,748
After a few weeks of research, I've joined the LCD-X club. I've always wanted planar magnetic headphones to add to my headphones collection and these are the first ones. They'll join my dynamic driver Beyer T1.2 and T5p Gen 2. I haven't had a chance to listen to the LCD-X properly yet, other than to check that I get sound from both earpieces!

What I did notice is how easy they are to drive. My T1.2s, are quite hard to drive, being 600-Ohm, and I have to have the volume control on my Arcam rHead at around 1 o-clock. With the LCD-X, the volume control is at around 11 o'clock. I'm also relieved that my Arcam rHead works quite well with them, although I'm sure that a better headphone amp will get more out of them.

Z2XvFYw.jpg

XkhMvCb.jpg

Jul 14, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #12,247 of 12,748
First impressions after around two hours of bedtime listening. I found the LCD-X absolutely fine for wearing whilst laying in bed. I listened to several songs from a TIDAL playlist which contained several Masters tracks and some regular CD-quality songs. Audio chain was Cayin N6ii DAP acting as a digital transport —> I2S —> Topping D90 (XLR Balanced out) —> Arcam rHead (single-ended) —> LCD-X.

I was not expecting this!

My usual headphones were Beyer T1.2s so they were pretty good headphones and I had got used to the warm, slightly V-shaped sound. The LCD-X produced a ridiculously different sound. My playlist contained songs that I had listened to hundreds of times and knew intimately. However, my brain got somewhat confused as I sometimes struggled to recognise the songs. The level of detail played back simply overwhelmed me. It was late at night so I was feeling very sleepy, which added to the feeling of confusion and being overwhelmed.

I heard things that I’d never heard before and this became addictive, which conflicted entirely with my body and mind wanting to sleep. The LCD-Xs are on another level in terms of the amount of detail that I could hear.

The bass was lower than I was used to, but so much more sophisticated.

I think the LCD-Xs are going to be for serious listening sessions. They are very addictive to listen to. I often jolted back from falling asleep by the LCD-Xs providing music that I simply hadn’t noticed before. The presentation of so many instruments and the characteristics of each individual instrument struck me.

So, it’s all really positive from this initial listening session. The sound will take some time to get used to.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:26 AM Post #12,250 of 12,748
Got my LCD-X today a little earlier than anticipated. Will post detailed impressions later.

First impressions in-home (main point of comparison is the LCD-2):

Unboxing experience was pleasant. Audeze packaged this really well with bubble wrap and foam inserts.
Carry case is smaller than the Pelican-style case. It is obviously cheaper as it uses plastics and poorly-fitted parts but it gets the job done and takes up less space than the pelican case. Also I'm not the type of guy that likes to... climb Mt. Everest... go scuba diving... with my headphones anyway so this case will do and it's certainly much better than no case at all. In fact, it actually fits the headphones better than the pelican case which allowed the cans to flop around a bit inside.

The headphones themselves are really beautiful. The fit and finish is perfect. If you're a neat freak, OCD personality (lol), or just have a good eye for detail I'd suggest getting the LCD-X over one of the wood-ringed headphones. There are often small imperfections in the wood grain that will drive you nuts (it did for me) not to mention that the wood rings are not easy to maintain in their original condition (which is beautiful btw). There are points of wear on the wood rings where the metal parts come in contact with the wood (such as the torsion bar that prevents extensive cup swivel). It's just disappointing. You will see photos online with really beautiful wood grain but yours might not look as good. It drove me crazy. LCD-X all-black look is extremely clean and impressive and if you have an eye for detail I'd recommend them.

Comfort is standard Audeze fare although these are much lighter than I anticipated and are very close in weight to the LCD-2. I love the new pads. My ears do lightly touch the Fazor but it's not uncomfortable at all in comparison to other headphones I've owned/tried. The new, floppier ear pads are super comfort-wise and have no hot-spots.

Sound: I was worried about sound-stage from watching YouTube reviews but I have got to say, for me, these are decently wide and, notably, image better than the LCD-2s. They also have better bass-extension and slam than the LCD-2 (Noticeable right away). Lower treble is weak. I will be playing around with EQ over the next few hours/days and will post an EQ profile in my long-term impressions. Detail retrieval... while this is not necessarily something I believe in I will say these headphones provide great clarity that is comparable to the LCD-2. I cannot A/B compare but, from my memory, they are close. Maybe the LCD-X is better because there is slightly more upper-treble extension.

In general, The LCD-X is a noticeable improvement over the LCD-2 in terms of build, imaging, and high/low frequency extension. It's a killer headphone and deserves all of the positive accolades it has received over the years.

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #12,251 of 12,748
Day 2 with my LCD-X. I've been listening to my desktop system for a few hours and decided to continue listening through my LCD-X. As I switched over from speakers to the LCD-X I was impressed at how transparent the 'handover' was. It really does still feel like I'm listening to speakers. I've never noticed this with other headphones before. However, after a few minutes I am aware of the clamping force and warm ears that remind me that I'm wearing headphones. I wear reading glasses for using a computer and the LCD-Xs are quite fine for glasses wearers. I guess it's down to the very thick, soft pads.

Next to my Beyer T1.2s, the LCD-Xs appear huge, and I thought the T1.2s were big!

I read somewhere on the Internet that users can request a frequency graph of their specific headphones from Audeze. Does anyone know if this is true? If it is, how does one go about getting this?

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #12,252 of 12,748
They should maybe bring a velour topped pad, that takes care of us that live in sub-tropics at times.

Jul 15, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #12,253 of 12,748
i find both my audeze lcd-x and lcd-3 to be very comfortable -- i can wear them for hours without an issue. granted, i live in the northeast, but i don't have any issue with them being hot on my head.

while certainly heavier, i find the headphones much better than my hd600 which have a vise-like clamp.

Jul 15, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #12,254 of 12,748
Scratch (no pun intended) what I said earlier about the fit and finish. While I will maintain that the all-black finish of the LCD-X is probably a better fit for someone who is more annoyed by tiny imperfections
I need to point out that Audeze needs to up their game in terms of quality control.

These headphones came to me with this mark on them. It was covered up by a sort of “gummy/gritty” residue that I assumed to be adhesive from the pads. I went to wipe it using a slightly damp cloth and it came right off easily revealing this scratch that goes down to the underlying metal.

It’s super annoying to have products coming from the manufacturer with cosmetic imperfections like this that can be avoided. The retailer had not handled the product. It came perfectly sealed and I trust this retailer quite a bit. They have sold me other gear in the past all in fantastic shape. If Audeze needs me to send these back (which I’d really not prefer to do) this will be the second set of Audeze cans I’ve had to return due to an
undisclosed cosmetic flaw. They actually shipped a third headphone with a cosmetic flaw to me but this one was much more minor and they actually sent me a replacement part to fix it.

@Audeze Please find a way to fix this with a part. Or send me a balanced cable, carbon headband or something to make up for it. This is unacceptable for it to happen to the same person twice.

Attachments

• 22C2CFFF-DC3D-46A7-AED3-BD06EA978BE2.jpeg
    22C2CFFF-DC3D-46A7-AED3-BD06EA978BE2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #12,255 of 12,748
Scratch (no pun intended) what I said earlier about the fit and finish. While I will maintain that the all-black finish of the LCD-X is probably a better fit for someone who is more annoyed by tiny imperfections
I need to point out that Audeze needs to up their game in terms of quality control.

These headphones came to me with this mark on them. It was covered up by a sort of “gummy/gritty” residue that I assumed to be adhesive from the pads. I went to wipe it using a slightly damp cloth and it came right off easily revealing this scratch that goes down to the underlying metal.

It’s super annoying to have products coming from the manufacturer with cosmetic imperfections like this that can be avoided. The retailer had not handled the product. It came perfectly sealed and I trust this retailer quite a bit. They have sold me other gear in the past all in fantastic shape. If Audeze needs me to send these back (which I’d really not prefer to do) this will be the second set of Audeze cans I’ve had to return due to an
undisclosed cosmetic flaw. They actually shipped a third headphone with a cosmetic flaw to me but this one was much more minor and they actually sent me a replacement part to fix it.

@Audeze Please find a way to fix this. Or send me a balanced cable for free or something to make up for it. This is unacceptable for it to happen to the same person twice.
Hey @mikecheck95 , please contact us at support@audeze.com. We'll be more than happy to help you with this.

Last edited:
Audeze Stay updated on Audeze at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/AudezeLLC https://twitter.com/audeze https://www.audeze.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back