Audeze LCD-X
Feb 19, 2021 at 10:20 PM Post #11,896 of 12,748
Well, after reading ~100pgs and skimming the next 100 or so I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered an LCD-X. Can't wait to get it in hand. Unfortunately although I apparently live less than 10mi from their warehouse it will take 4 days for FedEx to get them to me lol. Gonna be a loooong weekend.

In the meantime, I've read everything from "these are super easy to drive" to "they scale well with better amps". Currently have Modi 3/Magni Heresy...am I right to assume these would be the bare min to drive these until I get something else? Was looking at Jotunheim but need to read up more on differences between 1 and 2 before committing. Should I expect to fast-track that? I'll give the current setup a listen of course but want to know what I'm getting into while I way this agonizingly long 4 days :)

Being easy to drive and scaling well with better amps are not mutually exclusive, at least not in this case. The X doesn't suffer from deleterious effects to the frequency response or get muffled with lower power, but better amping will improve the resolution, imaging, and separation given how responsive and fast the driver is.

Feb 19, 2021 at 10:24 PM Post #11,897 of 12,748
Being easy to drive and scaling well with better amps are not mutually exclusive, at least not in this case. The X doesn't suffer from deleterious effects to the frequency response or get muffled with lower power, but better amping will improve the resolution, imaging, and separation given how responsive and fast the driver is.
I see, guess I'll be reading up on the Jot's this weekend then. Thanks!

Feb 20, 2021 at 10:37 PM Post #11,898 of 12,748
I see, guess I'll be reading up on the Jot's this weekend then. Thanks!
Can’t speak to the Jot, but the JDS Labs Element is an excellent match for the X in my experience.

Feb 21, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #11,899 of 12,748
I see, guess I'll be reading up on the Jot's this weekend then. Thanks!...
Flux Labs FA-10 Class A amp...will save you multiple amp purchases looking for "The One"...then you can focus on endless DAC rolling :wink:

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2021 at 8:20 AM Post #11,901 of 12,748
Anyone has experience with the ifi zen can bass boost+3D?
I know the lcdx are amazing on micro bl idsd.
The Zen DAC only has bass boost, no 3D. It is a wonderful little entry level DAC for the money, but the Micro BL is steps above.

Feb 21, 2021 at 8:27 AM Post #11,902 of 12,748
Has the X had a driver revision update same as LCD-XC ?

Feb 22, 2021 at 7:50 PM Post #11,904 of 12,748
Just got em in earlier today and finally got the Reveal plugin working...and wow....just....wow. They do everything my Sundaras did just 10x better. I thought I was picking up things with the Sundaras that I'd never heard, but this is just so much better. So much detail, and it feels like I'm wrapped in sound. Was kinda skeptical about spending so much for headphones but I think it's safe to say it was worth it.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #11,906 of 12,748
Hi all

Is there much difference between the carbon fibre headband and the steel one (apart from the price). Do they make a big difference to comfort?

Got the XC yesterday secondhand, and find them uncomfortable. They've got the old style headband.

I've also got the EL8 which are also quite heavy, but are far more comfortable so I don't think it's just down to weight.

Thanks

Mar 2, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #11,907 of 12,748
Hi all

Is there much difference between the carbon fibre headband and the steel one (apart from the price). Do they make a big difference to comfort?

Got the XC yesterday secondhand, and find them uncomfortable. They've got the old style headband.

I've also got the EL8 which are also quite heavy, but are far more comfortable so I don't think it's just down to weight.

Thanks
To me there is not much difference in comfort between the carbon fibre and new steel headband. They are both great improvement over the old style though. The XC is one of the heaviest headphones, I think it is like 100g heavier than the open back X. Perhaps you could try a new headband first and if that is still not enough, try the open back LCD-X.

Mar 2, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #11,908 of 12,748
To me there is not much difference in comfort between the carbon fibre and new steel headband. They are both great improvement over the old style though. The XC is one of the heaviest headphones, I think it is like 100g heavier than the open back X. Perhaps you could try a new headband first and if that is still not enough, try the open back LCD-X.
Thanks for the reply and information.

I'll try the new headband, but open headphones are a no go for me due to sound leakage.

Mar 2, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #11,909 of 12,748
Hi all

I worry about the clamping force of the CF version not being adjustable. Good old steel - just bend to your desired clamp!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back