Audeze LCD-X
Sep 12, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #10,396 of 12,748
I find myself wishing I could just try a 4Z with my Hugo2, to see what the uptake is. But, I really can't complain about the X. You're right about the combo of X/H2.

Don't do it! Fair warning... For example yesterday I found some good bass test videos to use to verify my thinking about the bass response being a bit light on the 4z. Well I was thinking wrong. I listened to a few selections that plumbed the depths of bass then rapid-fire ran to upper-mids then massively dropped hard to under 20 Hz to mid-bass etc at some really robust volume. I was blown away at how the 4z handled this. That would have been pushing it with my X, but the 4z just stayed unbelievably tight and clean while going subterranean. Of course having the GLMk2 driving helped a lot no doubt but still... When there is bass, the 4z is gonna serve it it up steaming hot tight and clean. But the overall signature tends towards an incredibly accurate, more neutral presentation. And they will thrive on all the power fed to them too.

Color me impressed to say the least. These things rock. As does the whole chain really. Do I regret having bot the 4z? Not for one second.

Sep 12, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #10,397 of 12,748
Well I'm starting to remember why I took a long vacation from Head-Fi... it's consuming! Thanks for the lead on the Sonarworks... read about it and will definitely buy it.

LCD-X arrive today so excited to hear them with the Corda Symphony. Doubt that is worth selling and It is a beautiful piece of equipment. I may move that into my theater for late night use with the Aurender N10 in my big rig - unfortunately the theater is right below my daughters' bedrooms so I can't really enjoy it late at night.

That would give me reason to buy a new desktop rig for my office. I'm looking into Schiit, Questyle, Burson, and Audio-GD mostly, along with the Benchmark DAC2/3 DX. For simplicity I'd prefer a DAC w/ integral headamp combo but separates also an option. The Audio-GD productions look very interesting, particularly the R-28, although I'm a bit hesitant about support being they are a Chinesse high end company.

I can reassure you that Audio-gd is a company you can rely on. Kingwa's support is outstandng. Although I must admit that size wise an Hugo2 is more conveniente for a desktop... I own the Poly+Mojo and it drives my LCD-X incredibly well. An H2 with the 2Go (Chord's future streamer) can be a end of game rig for portable/desktop use.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2018 at 5:20 PM Post #10,398 of 12,748
I'm thoroughly enjoying the LCD-X as it is, I do not need any equalization
So am I. But, I'm always curious to try something if it's in my reach. In fact, I have a couple of EQ curves someone sent me. Mainly a few cuts here and there; no boosting. Just opens them up a bit, perhaps flattening down the mids a bit to let a bit more treble out. But, your right; they are good on their own hook, especially with the right cord.

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:25 PM Post #10,399 of 12,748
I can reassure you that Audio-gd is a company you can rely on. Kingwa's support is outstandng. Although I must admit that size wise an Hugo2 is more conveniente for a desktop... I own the Poly+Mojo and it drives my LCD-X incredibly well. An H2 with the 2Go (Chord's future streamer) can be a end of game rig for portable/desktop use.
That's my endgame: Hugo/2go. Like I said on the Chord threads, I'm hoping for a sort of superDAP, when they work the bugs out of 2go and get their present products released.

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #10,400 of 12,748
Received my LCD-X from Moon Audio today, had to run home from work to sign for them. Kudos to them for super fast shipping particularly with a huge hurricane bearing down on NC. Hopefully they'll just have a rain event being fairly far inland.

Not sure how Audeze determines B-stock... they were factory sealed in a plain box and looked brand new to me. Might as well be new retail other than "No Returns" marked on the box. And they have the latest headband, memory foam cups, and braided cable. I only got to listen for a couple minutes as I had to run back to work, but plugged into the Corda Symphony and got a quick taste with a familiar old recording (Sigur Ros, Svefn-g-Englar). Let's just say I'm pretty blown away that I snagged these for $899! :o2smile:

Of course they're big and heavy but seemed comfortable enough, and I love the industrial design. Anticipating my ears will get a bit sweaty during listening sessions, but that's pretty much universal with this type of headphone.

I'll do some more listening tonight and also try them out with the Aurender N10 and its S/PDIF output, which should offer a much better digital stream than USB from a MacBook Pro. Figured I might as well get familiar with the LCD-X and stock cable on the equipment I have now, then decide on what do regarding headamp, DAC, cables, etc. The new braided Audeze cable seems decent at least ergonomically.

Any thoughts on running the LCD-X single ended versus balanced ? If balanced operation has significant benefits, that will limit the group of amps/DACs I am considering.

Sep 12, 2018 at 5:46 PM Post #10,401 of 12,748
@NucRad welcome to the club, I only use mine balanced because I can. I don't notice much difference from when I do use them single ended

Sep 12, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #10,402 of 12,748
Anybody use the RME ADI-2 DAC with their X?

Sep 12, 2018 at 10:59 PM Post #10,403 of 12,748
Does the True-fi operate by VST? That is; does it need to be incorporated into whatever player you use? I tried Sonarworks Ref and couldn't get it to work, period.

As far as I can tell True-fi uses Reference 4 Systemwide, a virtual audio device in Windows. When I tested it on my Win 10 machine it worked without a hitch.
I had a bit more trouble with Reference 4, my security software did not like Systemwide digging itself into Windows.

I bought Reference 4 HP over Tru-fi for the pro audio features. DAW plugin support, and in turn ASIO driver support.
I will also upgrade to the full suite to EQ my room/monitors/subs at a later date when I move my AEQ-1 to the living room system.

I listened to the Sonarworks correction on and off for days, I really like it with the X. I know some purest might disagree but I'm happy with it.
Incidentally there is a wet/dry knob that adjusts the correction EQ from full on, to full off, variably. Quite useful in my evaluation.
I leave it full wet/EQed, YMMV:L3000:

Sep 13, 2018 at 1:26 AM Post #10,404 of 12,748
I'm very happy with ref 4 and my X's. As I've mentioned in the sonarworks thread I can take or leave the adjustment with my clears, but almost exclusively use it with the X.

I've been using it at 75% wet. It sounds fine at full, but I find it a little mor forward, really compensating for that mid-dip it would seem. So 75% has been a great middle ground for me. Enough extra detail comes thought, but still maintains a fatigue free, smooth sound.

Interestingly enough, I was home sick today and had a bit of a headache. I actually preferred the stock sound with ref4 turned off. It's pretty handy to be able to adjust on the fly, depending how the day is unfolding.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #10,405 of 12,748
Received my LCD-X from Moon Audio today, had to run home from work to sign for them. Kudos to them for super fast shipping particularly with a huge hurricane bearing down on NC. Hopefully they'll just have a rain event being fairly far inland.

Not sure how Audeze determines B-stock... they were factory sealed in a plain box and looked brand new to me. Might as well be new retail other than "No Returns" marked on the box. And they have the latest headband, memory foam cups, and braided cable. I only got to listen for a couple minutes as I had to run back to work, but plugged into the Corda Symphony and got a quick taste with a familiar old recording (Sigur Ros, Svefn-g-Englar). Let's just say I'm pretty blown away that I snagged these for $899! :o2smile:

Of course they're big and heavy but seemed comfortable enough, and I love the industrial design. Anticipating my ears will get a bit sweaty during listening sessions, but that's pretty much universal with this type of headphone.

I'll do some more listening tonight and also try them out with the Aurender N10 and its S/PDIF output, which should offer a much better digital stream than USB from a MacBook Pro. Figured I might as well get familiar with the LCD-X and stock cable on the equipment I have now, then decide on what do regarding headamp, DAC, cables, etc. The new braided Audeze cable seems decent at least ergonomically.

Any thoughts on running the LCD-X single ended versus balanced ? If balanced operation has significant benefits, that will limit the group of amps/DACs I am considering.

Does S/PDIF use a different DAC from the USB?

Sep 13, 2018 at 12:01 PM Post #10,406 of 12,748
Does S/PDIF use a different DAC from the USB?

Same DAC but iin general, I think, there is more jitter over USB than over optical and other electrical interfaces like S/PDIF, AES-EBU, and I2S. At least that was the case in the past... maybe receiver chips have improved to where that is no longer a factor. Digital output of the N10 is incredibly clean, but I've never tried the USB. My big rig uses an old, but way ahead of its time, fully digital TacT system. My speakers are quad-amped by what basically are four power DACs that implement crossovers, parEQ, and room correction via programmable filters.

I tried listening straight from my MacBook Pro last night using the 3.5mm adapter. Well that's a fail! Despite the LCD-X having good sensitivity and low impedance, volume is weak and everything sounded dull and flat. I picked up a Nextdrive Spectra USB-C off Amazon for portable use, it should be here today. Thinking about leaving the Corda Symphony in my office (it sounds great) and picking up an Audio-GD R28 for my theater...

I also saw that Meier has a new high end DAC/amp in the works which looks interesting. The Symphony has worked flawlessly for about 10 years now and while I'm sure there the Wolfson DAC implementation is outdated, it still sounds damn good.

Sep 13, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #10,407 of 12,748
Well I picked up an Audio-GD R-28 from Audiogon. I should have it next week so will report back on how this ladder DAC and balanced amp combo works with the LCD-X.

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #10,409 of 12,748
I just got quoted $580 for a LCD-X driver replacement (Over the phone). I was under the impression that driver replacements now cost $325, is this only the case for LCD-Xs that are still under warranty?

If your driver fails under warranty why would you be paying?

That’s the price for out of warranty. Driver replacements will be dependent on each headphone.

Sep 13, 2018 at 7:24 PM Post #10,410 of 12,748
I just got quoted $580 for a LCD-X driver replacement (Over the phone). I was under the impression that driver replacements now cost $325, is this only the case for LCD-Xs that are still under warranty?
That is outrageous. I just bought a used pair for like $750, so that's pretty much the bulk of the market value of the phones. These are going to have to be really transcendent for me to risk holding IMO given everything I have read about Audeze's history.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back