Audeze LCD-X
Jul 4, 2018 at 12:28 PM Post #10,216 of 12,748
Rockin' Evanescence on the X. Life is good! =^)
Markets not moving much right now, understandable since 4 July.
Yall have a happy 4th!

Florence + the Machine, new album High as Hope, lovely voice.:darthsmile:

Happy 4th to you!

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #10,217 of 12,748
Hi snip3r77.

Here's the information on some of the changes the newest driver revision has brought to the table:

-Reduced diaphragm thickness: Reduces driving mass for greater diaphragm response.
-Higher compliance: Lowers resonance for improved low frequency extension and bass definition.
-Optimized magnetic circuit: Creates more uniform magnetic flux distribution for a more uniform driving force, smooths frequency response, lowers distortion, with greater resolution and improved imaging.
-Improved diaphragm tensioning: A new system delivers better performance and improved consistency for less variation between units.
-Improved internal damping: Better, more controlled bass and a smoother overall frequency response.
-New voicing: Smooths the midrange response.

Audeze currently offers a driver upgrade program which includes complete replacement of both drivers, but the cost will vary depending on when your drivers were made. Audeze can get a price quote for you if you'll just send them the serial number of your headphones.

By way of disclaimer, Audeze does advise you to be aware that the differences between the earlier and newer production headphones are somewhat subtle, and not everyone will hear them the same way or like what they hear.

Definitely a smoother midrange response so far with better voicing. Still evaluating the other changes. Improved imaging as well IMHO. YMMV though.

Please do post up impressions on performance of the new drivers as you get more time on them. Very interesting.

Jul 4, 2018 at 1:39 PM Post #10,218 of 12,748
Hi snip3r77.

Here's the information on some of the changes the newest driver revision has brought to the table:

-Reduced diaphragm thickness: Reduces driving mass for greater diaphragm response.
-Higher compliance: Lowers resonance for improved low frequency extension and bass definition.
-Optimized magnetic circuit: Creates more uniform magnetic flux distribution for a more uniform driving force, smooths frequency response, lowers distortion, with greater resolution and improved imaging.
-Improved diaphragm tensioning: A new system delivers better performance and improved consistency for less variation between units.
-Improved internal damping: Better, more controlled bass and a smoother overall frequency response.
-New voicing: Smooths the midrange response.

Audeze currently offers a driver upgrade program which includes complete replacement of both drivers, but the cost will vary depending on when your drivers were made. Audeze can get a price quote for you if you'll just send them the serial number of your headphones.

By way of disclaimer, Audeze does advise you to be aware that the differences between the earlier and newer production headphones are somewhat subtle, and not everyone will hear them the same way or like what they hear.

Definitely a smoother midrange response so far with better voicing. Still evaluating the other changes. Improved imaging as well IMHO. YMMV though.
Has the impedance changed with the new drivers?

Jul 4, 2018 at 10:15 PM Post #10,220 of 12,748
I do believe anything 2017 or maybe 16 is fresh, but others would know better than me.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #10,222 of 12,748
I know this is an old post, just curious on your reason and opinion for the Denafrips.
This was based on the reviews user Torq gave on another headphone enthusiast website. At the time he was the only person I somewhat trust who had reviewed the units. That may have changed by now but I'm not sure since I haven't looked for reviews of the Ares and Pontus recently.

Jul 4, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #10,223 of 12,748
I trust Torq's opinions as well.:thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2018 at 6:47 AM Post #10,224 of 12,748
Can anyone clear up some confusion I'm having? Are these new drivers a 2018 revision? Or are we talking about a relatively new driver, since we were on the subject of driver replacement costs/service.

I'm pretty sure the latest drivers are from 2016. At least that is what Chris at Audeze said not too long ago at Audeze support.

Jul 5, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #10,226 of 12,748
Jul 8, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #10,227 of 12,748
Reinforced just how glorious the bass is with LCD-X. Listening to Johannes Linstead "Sol Luna Tierra" which is some of the sweetest guitar compositions you will ever hear with a latin-carribbean flavor. Sonically delicious with that glorious full rich deep satisfying bass. Yum. =^)

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:09 PM Post #10,228 of 12,748
Reinforced just how glorious the bass is with LCD-X. Listening to Johannes Linstead "Sol Luna Tierra" which is some of the sweetest guitar compositions you will ever hear with a latin-carribbean flavor. Sonically delicious with that glorious full rich deep satisfying bass. Yum. =^)
Something to look forward to.

Jul 8, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #10,229 of 12,748

I have discovered a cool trick when listening to the X's during the day, I switch off my powered speakers to listen to Cans.
But I leave the subwoofers on, this reinforces the already magnificent bass. Must sound weird to anyone but me.:L3000:

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2018 at 9:07 PM Post #10,230 of 12,748
^^^ Maybe you need to turn on a buttkicker as well:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back