Audeze LCD-X
Oct 10, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #9,601 of 12,748
Anyone here has upgraded from lcd x. What you guys have?
Only thing I've heard which would justify upgrading is Utopia (tbh havent heard a lot though), and it's not better enough for the jump in price. The new MX4 may be an upgrade option but that remains to be seen.

Oct 10, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #9,602 of 12,748
I have never heard them, but I have heard that they could be an upgrade :
LCD-4
LCD-3 (not really an upgrade but some may prefere it over X especially if you have a good amp)
LCD-4X (still to be tested so...)
Stax SR-007 & SR-009
McIntosh MHP-100
Kennerton Odin (not really an upgrade but some may prefere it over X)
Focal Utopia
And of course : Abyss AB-1266 & HiFiMAN Shangri-La

If I wright only about what I personnaly have heard, LCD-X is the best... But I never heard any of the above. The closest one was LCD-2 and Grado PS500.

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #9,603 of 12,748
I reckon LCD-4 is a direct upgrade to the X. Similar signature, but improvements across the board, and one of the nicest-looking headphones I've seen.

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:28 AM Post #9,606 of 12,748
LCD-4
LCD-3 (not really an upgrade but some may prefere it over X especially if you have a good amp)
Stax SR-007 & SR-009
McIntosh MHP-100
Focal Utopia

If I wright only about what I personnaly have heard, LCD-X is the best... But I never heard any of the above. The closest one was LCD-2 and Grado PS500.

Seems like LCD-X is summit fi already~

Oct 10, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #9,608 of 12,748

I’m currently using lcd x balanced with geek infinity xfi.

Looking at upgrading my headphone with a different flavour. If possible I’d keep my lcd x as it’s neutral. would like something warmer with more bass bloat .

Good question and hard to answer. Audeze is well known for their pleasing sound character and bass. Maybe try some tube amp or cooper cable. Or try LCD2/LCD3 pre fazor which was evidently warmer (I prefer new versions).
Warm headphone is definitely HD650 but it could be step back for you.

If you look for better headphone around similar price category then I would say it will be more question of taste than to say better. And moreover LCDX is in my opinion one of the best headphone in all category in terms of universal use, with spotify, across many genres, all in one system, search for new music etc...
But you can try electrostatic L700, O2mk2, Canorum (did not hear but seems like super adult hp). Another planars dynamic like Edition X...

If you do not have limit, HE1000 is definitely better headphone for me. I did not hear enough time LCD4, Abyss AB-1266 but this category is quite crazy pay for "only sound"...

Last edited:
Oct 10, 2017 at 5:04 AM Post #9,610 of 12,748
Chiming in that I also really wasn't a fan of Sonarworks. Their "presets" aren't what they seem. They aren't there to "enhance" anything, basically it's an EQ setting that's intended to run symmetrically to the frequency curve of the headphone so it sounds "flat." Now, I don't know about y'all, but if I'm buying an Audeze headphone, it's because I want the Audeze sound, and I really do not understand the appeal in purchasing headphones just to try and EQ their charms away. I can get the idea of EQ'ing a few issues out if you generally like the sound, but SW advertising itself as flattening every headphone to a linear response makes no damn sense to me.
Which also leads me to this quest for a so-called perfect headphone curve, which companies such as Harmond and Tyll seem to be looking for. Unless I'm wrong, they are trying to find a curve which would remove the indivuallity from various HPs. If so, I have to wonder why?

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:34 AM Post #9,611 of 12,748
Mogul: Would anyone else recommend another EQ? I use Tidal about 99% of the time

Just curious if you are using TIDAL HIFI ? You seem to be saying certain songs smoothed out.. I Haven't used SW, but anything to improve a bad recording is a relative plus, as long as the EQ palette doesn't tint your phones, :wink:

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #9,612 of 12,748
LCD-4
Stax SR-007 & SR-009
McIntosh MHP-100
Focal Utopia

On this list, I've heard the LCD-3, SR-007, MHP-100, and Utopia. Of that list, the Utopia is the only one I'd consider upgrading to, but at that price bracket I'd be much more interested in the LCD-4. The Utopia is really good, world class even, and out of a Chord Dave it was possibly the best full rig I've heard, but not sure I'd really go that route.

Oct 10, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #9,613 of 12,748
Good question and hard to answer. Audeze is well known for their pleasing sound character and bass. Maybe try some tube amp or cooper cable. Or try LCD2/LCD3 pre fazor which was evidently warmer (I prefer new versions).
Warm headphone is definitely HD650 but it could be step back for you.

If you look for better headphone around similar price category then I would say it will be more question of taste than to say better. And moreover LCDX is in my opinion one of the best headphone in all category in terms of universal use, with spotify, across many genres, all in one system, search for new music etc...
But you can try electrostatic L700, O2mk2, Canorum (did not hear but seems like super adult hp). Another planars dynamic like Edition X...

If you do not have limit, HE1000 is definitely better headphone for me. I did not hear enough time LCD4, Abyss AB-1266 but this category is quite crazy pay for "only sound"...
What about Mr Speaker’s ? The design is nice though

Oct 10, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #9,614 of 12,748
I have only downgraded from LCD-X, a Denon D7200 and a load of Chi-Fi earbuds. Don't think it is worth it to upgrade any further

Users who are viewing this thread

Back