Audeze LCD-X
May 14, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #7,878 of 12,748
what surprises me is the fact that in the ad they speak about of a even more thinner diaphragm.Maybe they have found a way to make very reliable a low impedance headset at such as the LCD-X or it remains very curious that on the LCD-4 they have altered sensibility and impedance bringing it from 100 to 200 ohms by increasing the size of the diaphragm that in the first version of the 4 had generated several drivers' breakdowns for the excessive thinness of the diaphragm itself. it would be interesting to have one of these my2016 and make an accurate comparison with the "older" model.

May 14, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #7,879 of 12,748
why not rev2?  because people want to know what they are buying perhaps?  like this if you want to sell your X or buy one used you have absolutely no idea what it is or what you got.  i don't understand why it is so hard to just put a .1 or .2 after the model number somewhere on the unit and in the advertising.

May 14, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,882 of 12,748

guess you can tell them apart from the black headphone connectors. suprised they are not coming standard with the new headband now though. Curious what it would cost to have them upgrade my X & XC with the new drivers and what the FR differences are from v1 to today.

May 14, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #7,883 of 12,748
Sorry, but could you describe the picture?  I'm not good at visual references.  Thanks.

Shows an lcd-x and says they do not change version numbers although drivers and magnets have been improved, gives now more of more. Whatever that means.

May 14, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #7,884 of 12,748
guess you can tell them apart from the black headphone connectors. suprised they are not coming standard with the new headband now though. Curious what it would cost to have them upgrade my X & XC with the new drivers and what the FR differences are from v1 to today.

Considering that they're charging $200 for the new headbands and the updated X costs the same as before, I'm not surprised. But it does make me wonder what the cost of manufacturing is for the new headband.

May 14, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #7,885 of 12,748

Sorry, but could you describe the picture?  I'm not good at visual references.  Thanks.

Shows an lcd-x and says they do not change version numbers although drivers and magnets have been improved, gives now more of more. Whatever that means.

Thanks.  I wonder as well, if it might be worth it to upgrade the drivers.  Hope we might get some impressions.

May 14, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #7,886 of 12,748
Keeping the same model name had made purchasing decision even harder:

• I may end up receiving the old stock (previous versions) so long as I buy from their agents (not all of us lives in the US)
  • I wouldn't know for sure how the 2016 version sounded like because I won't even know which LCD-X version did I listened to during audition/meet environment. All of them are referred to as "LCD-X"

May 15, 2016 at 2:07 AM Post #7,887 of 12,748

Well my certificate is dated 4/12/16 and also has the black connectors... my serial number also starts with 752.. Not sure if mine are these new ones or not... Hope this helps though

I did check the resistance real quick with a RatShack Multimeter (I know its not perfect buuuttt) they measured 17 ohms, sooooooo if mine do happen to be the new ones (which they very well might not be) I don't think they changed them to 100 ohms or anything.

Guess I can try and call Audeze Monday and ask.

Oh and I will be at the Peoria IL meet next month (lol considering I am the one who organized it) maybe I can compare mine with others then.

May 15, 2016 at 12:18 PM Post #7,888 of 12,748
yeah, this sort of unlabeled revisions is not good at all for the hobby... you just don't know what you are getting.  to be honest it should almost be illegal from a consumer protections point of view.

May 15, 2016 at 12:35 PM Post #7,889 of 12,748
...I find Audeze's statement not showing a revision because they permanently imporve their products very questionable. I mean I could live with it if the improve the headband or something else that is visible from outside and as such recognizable. But changes inside, especially such significant changes as driver design, magnet structure and membrane thickness, and in this case even all of them in one go, definitely needs to be recognizable by a revision number!  Not good Audeze!

May 15, 2016 at 2:54 PM Post #7,890 of 12,748
Well Audeze could be like most manufacturers and add a "2" or other such nomenclature and bump up the retail cost. Personally I prefer the continual improvement and keeping the price the same.

BTW, the new carbon headband is a very worthwhile investment, I can wear my LCD-3f all day now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back