Audeze LCD-X
Apr 16, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #7,801 of 12,748
Yes X is for most (normal people :grinning:) endgame hadphone. Still not cheap outside USA but most people can afford it. Headphone over 2K it is crazy, I will not support it too. Hope LCDX will be upgraded to newer Audeze technologies in future and will be for the same price.

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #7,802 of 12,748
Yes X is for most (normal people :grinning:) endgame hadphone. Still not cheap outside USA but most people can afford it. Headphone over 2K it is crazy, I will not support it too. Hope LCDX will be upgraded to newer Audeze technologies in future and will be for the same price.

@knopi

As I have read in this thread below, it seems this 2016, Audeze has made some revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered their entire line ( except Sine and EL8 Ti). I am wondering as well if there is a significant change for Audeze LCD X.

Source:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard

Apr 16, 2016 at 7:23 AM Post #7,803 of 12,748
@knopi

As I have read in this thread below, it seems this 2016, Audeze has made some revamp, re-voiced and re-engineered their entire line ( except Sine and EL8 Ti). I am wondering as well if there is a significant change for Audeze LCD X.

Source:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/804186/audezes-2016-revamp-re-voiced-and-re-engineered-headphones-the-entire-line-except-sine-and-el8-ti-these-have-updates-as-standard

Hummm that is a very interesting link... I ordered mine through PlusSound Audio, to get the free custom cable with my order... Chris from PlusSound said they do not keep stock as they are located near Audeze and get them delivered same day. That makes me pretty certain that mine will not be new old stock..

Apr 17, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #7,804 of 12,748
My  memory for sound is more limited than my memory for visuals, taste or smell.  Distinctions that are obvious for me on an immediate A/B comparo are quickly lost, particularly when the sound is pretty comparable and the differences get smaller.  I have to make frequent, quick A/B comparo's to tell if I really do hear something different and more attractive to me.  I can settle on a preference, but I doubt I would be able to tell the difference on a blind comparo 24hours later.  Hell, it's probably more like 30min later or less. 

That's a long way of saying I'm really glad I picked the LCD-Xs for high-end headphone listening. I sold all my room audio and translated it into used Xs and a new Burson Conductor Virtuoso 2+.   The pleasure of listening is going deep.  Life is short and I only have so much time to spend on exploring alternatives.  I do love to tinker though and my curiosity will probably find time to consider next steps, but I feel really lucky to have been able to start with what I have and may find that I am happy to stay here because the Xs cover so many bases so well and the combo puts out sound like Ella Fitzgerald sang: somehow she just opened her mouth and it came out effortlessly.  I think I may be in that "normal people" range quoted from "knopi."

This reminds me of shopping for classical guitars 40 years ago.  Going from my $150 starter to an $800 entry level, small-shop instrument brought spectacular changes in every way.  After that the cost of further improvement went up like an asymptote and made no sense for the duffer that I was.

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:44 AM Post #7,808 of 12,748
Anyone else that uses the X with the Liquid Carbon, do you use 1x or 3x gain?

I like that there's a lot more room to play with on the volume pot on 1x, but it seems like at 3x there's a more weight to the X. Then again maybe I'm just imagining it.

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #7,809 of 12,748
  Anyone else that uses the X with the Liquid Carbon, do you use 1x or 3x gain?

I like that there's a lot more room to play with on the volume pot on 1x, but it seems like at 3x there's a more weight to the X. Then again maybe I'm just imagining it.

I use 1x.  I tried 3x a couple of times but couldn't really tell a difference.  I like having the extra play in the volume pot.  Also my DAC has a really high output level if that is relevant.  The X is easy to drive and doesn't really need the high gain.  I don't use high gain for my ETHER either(no pun intended).

Apr 19, 2016 at 1:16 PM Post #7,810 of 12,748
Finally get my LCD-X's tomorrow, super excited... Man I hate waiting for mail lol... Anyways.. ATM I only have an Oppo HA-2 AMP/DAC that I am currently using with my PM3's.. Been looking around for another unit that will jive well with the X's.. Any recommendations in the ~500 dollar range? Prefer something semi portable (aka something that can go back and forth to work with me) 

Apr 19, 2016 at 9:42 PM Post #7,811 of 12,748
  Finally get my LCD-X's tomorrow, super excited... Man I hate waiting for mail lol... Anyways.. ATM I only have an Oppo HA-2 AMP/DAC that I am currently using with my PM3's.. Been looking around for another unit that will jive well with the X's.. Any recommendations in the ~500 dollar range? Prefer something semi portable (aka something that can go back and forth to work with me) 

This answer may surprise you, but I'd hold off on that until you hear the X with the HA-2. It really surprised me how good the sound was...just put the HA-2 in high gain mode and off you go. The HA-2 pairs incredibly well with planar headphones, and the X loves it. 

Apr 19, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #7,812 of 12,748

Chord Hugo

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:37 PM Post #7,813 of 12,748
Hugo's are way more expensive than 500 and you still need a player. Luckily the Xs are relatively easy to drive.

Apr 20, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #7,815 of 12,748

This answer may surprise you, but I'd hold off on that until you hear the X with the HA-2. It really surprised me how good the sound was...just put the HA-2 in high gain mode and off you go. The HA-2 pairs incredibly well with planar headphones, and the X loves it. 

Got the headphones today and have to admit... They do sound friggin amazing right out of the HA-2!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back