Audeze LCD-X
Apr 6, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #7,787 of 12,748
Sorry buddy, but I was just answering his question.

If I did a comparison the LCD-4 takes a clear win.

Apr 6, 2016 at 7:05 PM Post #7,790 of 12,748
I found that removing the grill or the foam behind the grill just made both the LCD-X and 3 too lean. All that Audeze midrange house sound was gone. It made them sound like a dynamic driver not a planar.

Here is a pics I took while doing it (foam removal):

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #7,792 of 12,748
  Does the LCD-4 still have the same basic signature as the X? I use mine for mastering as well and would not want to lose that ability.

And to me the X is super enjoyable to listen to.

I don't know, you are making me drool the way you talk about them. Do most that have them feel they are a big step up?

The other issue I have is the quality control (or lack thereof) that Audeze has demonstrated. Since I don't live in the US, sending them back in for repair is very costly. Then having them sent back will trigger the 20% tax again (yes I know it shouldn't, but it does). I already had to have them replace the headphone cable as it just fell apart. They did cheerfully. But sent the wrong one. They then sent the right ones, but of course, I paid tax + shipping both times. So I am worried about that angle. Any thoughts?

By the way, other than the cable issue, my LCD-X has had zero problems. But others, with different models have not been so lucky, having to return them numerous times to replace drivers etc.

I get the impression that the LCD-4 has a bit more rolled-off treble compared to the LCD-X.  Tyll's review mentioned a "missing octave" in the 2 - 8kHz region.  Of course, cutting this region will allow people to hear more "details" in other octaves.

Apr 9, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #7,793 of 12,748

I get the impression that the LCD-4 has a bit more rolled-off treble compared to the LCD-X.  Tyll's review mentioned a "missing octave" in the 2 - 8kHz region.  Of course, cutting this region will allow people to hear more "details" in other octaves.

I wouldn't say that...if you look at the graphs, they're about the same...but the LCD-4's treble is smoother and more refined to my ears.

Apr 14, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #7,797 of 12,748
Just got a pre-production iCan Pro amp for evaluation. This is a HUGE winner with the LCD-X.

I only have it for a few days but my initial impressions are this is an awesome headamp. Much better than the iCan SE; whole different league.

Apr 14, 2016 at 4:50 PM Post #7,798 of 12,748
Just got a pre-production iCan Pro amp for evaluation. This is a HUGE winner with the LCD-X.

I only have it for a few days but my initial impressions are this is an awesome headamp. Much better than the iCan SE; whole different league.

Can you throw up a quick pic please?

Apr 15, 2016 at 11:04 PM Post #7,800 of 12,748
  Ordered some LCD-X's and they should be here in a week or so... Looking forward too these headphones, they may not b e LCD-4's but they will be more than enough for me I hope. 

I haven't heard the 4s yet, but the Xs are fantastic. I'm sure the 4 betters them, and Im excited to go that direction in the near future, but the X is just a stellar headphone. I can't even put into words how much I've enjoyed my pair. 

Congrats! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back