Audeze LCD-X
Apr 3, 2016 at 9:26 AM Post #7,756 of 12,748

I am not sure if I mentioned this a while a go. Did anyone try to remove the outside grills? I tried this with my lcd-x a while ago. The results were very nice. The soundstage decompressed quite nicely. It was so decompressed that it gave HD800 a very good run in size, but also being more natural. Besides this, the bass good deeper and more detailed and the instruments were better extended. 

The treble was more present and sparkly without the grills. 

Curious if anybody else tried this.

I'd read about this earlier in the thread, somewhere.  I'm concerned about exposing the internals to possible damage.  Should I worry about that?
Just read the other posts.  I'll try removing what's under and put the grils back on and have a listen.

...make sure that while open, you do not come close with a magnetic screwdriver or anything else magnetic to the magnets next to the membrane. They have a very strong pull...

Apr 3, 2016 at 9:45 AM Post #7,757 of 12,748

I am not sure if I mentioned this a while a go. Did anyone try to remove the outside grills? I tried this with my lcd-x a while ago. The results were very nice. The soundstage decompressed quite nicely. It was so decompressed that it gave HD800 a very good run in size, but also being more natural. Besides this, the bass good deeper and more detailed and the instruments were better extended. 

I'd read about this earlier in the thread, somewhere.  I'm concerned about exposing the internals to possible damage.  Should I worry about that?
Just read the other posts.  I'll try removing what's under and put the grils back on and have a listen.

...make sure that while open, you do not come close with a magnetic screwdriver or anything else magnetic to the magnets next to the membrane. They have a very strong pull...

Thanks for the warning.  I'll mull it over before I try.

Apr 3, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #7,758 of 12,748
  Question - LCDX tone and balance but with HD800 soundstage?  Does it exist? Could it exist?

Living up to my handle here
rolleyes.gif

Do you prefer Edition X or LCD X? :)

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #7,760 of 12,748
  LCD X > Edition X in terms of bass, mids, and that holographic 3d sound

Thanks... I listen to EDM more than anything else so LCD X should be better. LCD 2 has great value/price ratio so it's very attractive, and people say it got much better with the silent revision. LCD X is probably better but I wonder if it's USD 700 better.
bigsmile_face.gif
Decisions...

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:11 PM Post #7,761 of 12,748

Thanks... I listen to EDM more than anything else so LCD X should be better. LCD 2 has great value/price ratio so it's very attractive, and people say it got much better with the silent revision. LCD X is probably better but I wonder if it's USD 700 better.
bigsmile_face.gif
Decisions...

I spent a week comparing Edition X to the LCD-X and found the X superior in all aspects except comfort

The LCD-X can be founded discounted for up to as much as 25% off depending on the time of year and how hard you look.

Apr 3, 2016 at 3:49 PM Post #7,762 of 12,748
Did Audeze say the exact dates when the silent revisions started production?

Apr 3, 2016 at 6:50 PM Post #7,763 of 12,748

bigsmile_face.gif
Decisions...

Yeah you should definitely demo both at the same time since the LCD-X was designed to accentuate the high-end, without being harsh or bright, more so than the LCD 2 and 3 while maintaining the Audezee house sound.  I thought the LCD-X was night and day better than the 2.

Apr 4, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #7,764 of 12,748

My relationship to the LCD-X is quite ambivalent. Important to know, I bought a very early one from the very first batch. Long before you could actually buy it here in a shop. I bought it directly from Audeze, despite warnings, that Audeze previously had some issues with early serial production. Me idiot just couldn't wait.

So what happened? Via my LCD-X the upper bass was (with a lot of my music) bleeding into the lower midtange and making the whole ptesentation sound matt, muffled, intransparent. With some cinema-style loudness and whatever else effects treated music it created great results. But with "just" realistic, rather untreated music the result remained unsatisfying, however long I burned it in. Whatever cable or amp I used (some tube amps with suitable music were even on killer-level, but again, only with the "right", enhanced music as for example Yello and alike)....
I was considering to take the grills off, but thought that alone impossibly could make that difference. Well after reading your comment, I thought I just give it a try. I took off the grilles, removed all the syntethic felt behind the grill and put the grill back.... and what shall I say, I do not recognize this headphone anymore... it is a completely different league. The mid- and highrange came forward just enough to make it now a balanced sounding headphone, open, transparent, clear and with serious punch... all there.
Shame on me that I didn't try that earlier, especially since I am quite a DIY guy.... well, better now than never.

I saw other comments here saying they didn't like it without grills. I can imagine, if you have an LCD-X that already sounds "correct" with grill and syntethic felt, it certainly will be too bright / harsh without it. So what I write here might only be valid for my specific LCD-X.

...so @dan.gheorghe, kudos to you...

Thanks and cheers!

...this is how it looks like now:

...and here how I did it...

Apr 4, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #7,765 of 12,748
Apr 4, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #7,766 of 12,748
Apr 5, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #7,767 of 12,748

The X images and places instruments/vocals in space so accurately...it stood out to me immediately when I bought them and its something I still love about them today. Pretty fantastic, these phones

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:49 AM Post #7,768 of 12,748
Anyone else find that they preferred the LCD-X to the 3?

Apr 5, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #7,769 of 12,748
Anyone else find that they preferred the LCD-X to the 3?

I own both. I had the 3 first and thought they wouldn't be beaten. I wanted a backup pair of Audeze so purchased the X. It took a while but the X is very different to the 3. When you get use to those differences and realise how good the X is it is hard to go back. i basically use the X for everything now and the 3 is the backup.

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:23 AM Post #7,770 of 12,748
I own both. I had the 3 first and thought they wouldn't be beaten. I wanted a backup pair of Audeze so purchased the X. It took a while but the X is very different to the 3. When you get use to those differences and realise how good the X is it is hard to go back. i basically use the X for everything now and the 3 is the backup.

That's exactly what I did!

Except I ended up eventually selling my LCD-3.

Now I'm selling the X because the LCD-4 is like the mastered version of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back