Audeze LCD-X
Mar 28, 2016 at 10:42 PM Post #7,727 of 12,748
Selling a pair if anyone here wants one but doesn't have one. Current price $1,300 shipped and including Paypal fees.

Might go lower. I personally found them to be slightly more engaging than the LCD-3 at a better price.

Mar 29, 2016 at 1:10 AM Post #7,728 of 12,748

Dude. Audeze HP's sound awesome with tube amps. You can't get the holographic effect with solid state amps.

Depending on the tubes used. Tube amps can be very transparent.

The holographic effect refers to a 3D sound stage - width, depth and height. You most certainly can achieve this with solid state amps.

One of the usual strengths of the LCD-X's over similar headphones is its excellent sound stage depth. If you aren't hearing this from your solid state amp but you can hear it with tubes, I'd say that your SS amp doesn't pair well with the X's in that regard.

One of my absolute favourite audio chains was the LCD-X's being driven balanced from the Audiolab M-DAC. Amazing pairing. There really wasn't that much of a difference moving to the Schiit Gungnir Multi Bit and Mjolnir 2 for the LCD-X's. With tubes in the Mjolnir 2 I'd say the LCD-X's were a little too thick and blurry compared to what they're capable of.

Mar 29, 2016 at 2:04 AM Post #7,729 of 12,748
The holographic effect refers to a 3D sound stage - width, depth and height. You most certainly can achieve this with solid state amps.

One of the usual strengths of the LCD-X's over similar headphones is its excellent sound stage depth. If you aren't hearing this from your solid state amp but you can hear it with tubes, I'd say that your SS amp doesn't pair well with the X's in that regard.

One of my absolute favourite audio chains was the LCD-X's being driven balanced from the Audiolab M-DAC. Amazing pairing. There really wasn't that much of a difference moving to the Schiit Gungnir Multi Bit and Mjolnir 2 for the LCD-X's. With tubes in the Mjolnir 2 I'd say the LCD-X's were a little too thick and blurry compared to what they're capable of.

Yes. I absolutely agree with you. SS can get very near to the tube holographic effect. I've heard it using a Vioelectric V281. An absolutely amazing amp. With that I wouldn't use tubes.

I have and use a Oppo HA-1 for SS. Very flat compared to other amps. I am feeding both the Oppo HA-1 and Woo WA22 with a Auralic Vega DAC. So both amps are excellent sounding. Remember the DAC has a lot to do with it also.

With my equipment the tube WA22 is best by a long way with the LCD-X. It sounds endgame to my ears and certainly not dark.

Mar 29, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #7,730 of 12,748
I agree with Arnotts. But truth is I do not have big experiences with quality tube amps, result can be super but according to my experiences I see bigger potencial with quality solid state amp for LCDX but I am also sure we all hear differently etc. :).

Mar 29, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #7,731 of 12,748
  Ordered my X's today and can't wait!  I really wanted to get a WA7TP for them after listening to them at Canjam but some of you guys have me really worried about tubes being too dark.  Guess I'll have to do some more research.

Nothing is better to trust than your own ears.  I use a WA7 with my LCD-X's and I think it's a great combo (as I've said before, make sure you set the amp to the low impedance setting, otherwise the higher frequencies are a bit off).  I use the upgrade Electro-Harmonix Gold Pin tubes, which open up the highs a bit (the WA7 that Woo was running at the show had the same tubes).  I'm still using the solid state power supply though.  One of these days I'll have to get the tube power supply.

Mar 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #7,732 of 12,748
  Ordered my X's today and can't wait!  I really wanted to get a WA7TP for them after listening to them at Canjam but some of you guys have me really worried about tubes being too dark.  Guess I'll have to do some more research.

Buy my WA7/tp off me with fully upgraded tubes so I can get the WA22 :wink:  I already have a D100 DAC so I don't get full usage out of the WA7 as is.  PM me if interested.

Mar 29, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #7,733 of 12,748

No way on the too dark. Throw some Siemens ECC82 tubes in the power supply and the WA7/Xs just soar. Plus the new WA7 has an upgraded DAC that sounds even better now. I listened to a bunch of amps at CanJam with my Xs, and for that price point I didn't like anything more than the WA7tp. Tube rolling is fun and relatively cheap with the tp as well. So it's eventually like having multiple amps in one.

Mar 30, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #7,735 of 12,748

Congrats...you're gonna love 'em. Been my favorite headphones by a wide margin for over two years. 

Apr 1, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #7,737 of 12,748
  I gotta say, the longer I listen to these things, the more I appreciate just how truly incredible they are. I'm in heaven.

beerchug.gif

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:22 AM Post #7,739 of 12,748
It has been two weeks since I last touched my LCD-X. The reason is my crappy amp ''Deckard.''

:beerchug:   This is for you.

I can't put down my LCD-X as it got a new friend. The Auralic Vega. Add two good amps and my LCD-X is sounding better than ever.

Apr 2, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #7,740 of 12,748
Heres how I know that I love my X...

Sometimes with audio gear, you look at upgrades and say, "hmmm...wonder what Im missing." With the X I find myself looking at other gear and then fearing what I would be without! Lol

That has only happened a few times in my many years in audio...the only other example of that would by the Magnepan speakers I bought nearly seven years ago. I cant imagine ever being without either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back