Audeze LCD-X
Mar 27, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #7,711 of 12,748
Looking to sell my LCD-X's that I purchased in December that have about 2 hrs of use.  Comes with both the included cables, the hard case, etc. 

Also purchased Nordost Heimdall 2 cables for these for an additional $799.   

Life is in financial disarray and need to to recoup as much as possible.   Would love to get $1,800

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:21 PM Post #7,712 of 12,748
I've been told that the WA7 + LCD-X at Canjam was the version 2 which i believe has the new DAC in it.  For current owners who had a chance to listen, were there any improvements or discernible differences between the two amps/dacs?

It was hard to tell cuz they had the stock tubes in the amp and power supply and I've never used those in mine. Pretty smooth sounding though. Less treble grain than the original. Apparently Woo is going to have an upgrade program for the older WA7s coming soon. No details or pricing yet though.

I'm off to WA22 land, but I'm keeping the WA7tp and I'll definitely do the upgrade when it's available. Its pairing with the LCD-X is what got me hooked on tubes so it's just gonna move across the bed to the girlfriend's nightstand for now since she loves it too. That unfortunately means she's gonna need her own cans cuz I'm not sharing the Xs. Hifiman Edition Xs were her favorite from CanJam so that's what she's getting soon. I hope they pair pretty well with the WA7. My old EL-8 opens were the only cans I've heard on it that didn't.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:53 PM Post #7,713 of 12,748
It was hard to tell cuz they had the stock tubes in the amp and power supply and I've never used those in mine. Pretty smooth sounding though. Less treble grain than the original. Apparently Woo is going to have an upgrade program for the older WA7s coming soon. No details or pricing yet though.

I'm off to WA22 land, but I'm keeping the WA7tp and I'll definitely do the upgrade when it's available. Its pairing with the LCD-X is what got me hooked on tubes so it's just gonna move across the bed to the girlfriend's nightstand for now since she loves it too. That unfortunately means she's gonna need her own cans cuz I'm not sharing the Xs. Hifiman Edition Xs were her favorite from CanJam so that's what she's getting soon. I hope they pair pretty well with the WA7. My old EL-8 opens were the only cans I've heard on it that didn't.

she's going to love that combo I think... also that they are much lighter probably suits her quite well.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #7,716 of 12,748
Schiit Mjolnir 2 probably.

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #7,717 of 12,748
something solid state i guess... i hear schitt has some good price/performance stuff but i have never listened to any.

Yea, most Schitt is on the brighter side. Ironically... 
wink_face.gif

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:21 PM Post #7,718 of 12,748
So, I've got a pair of XC's coming tomorrow and X's coming Tuesday. Can't wait to test them out! Also throwing my LCD-2f in the mix. Only one will survive!

Mar 27, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #7,719 of 12,748
http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2016/03/audeze-cipher-cable-brings-in-line-dacamplifier-to-sine-headphones/
Over the past five years Audeze have inked their high-end headphone reputation with the LCD series of planar-magnetic headphones: the open-back LCD-2, LCD-3, LCD-X and closed-back LCD-XC. One morsel of news dropping at CanJam SoCal 2016 was that each of these models have recently enjoyed a driver revision – a slightly thinner film now brings the music forth. According to Audeze’s VP of Sales Mark Cohen, the change is evolutionary and not revolutionary.

LCD-X v1.1?... LCD-X v2?...

Mar 27, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #7,720 of 12,748
  So, I've got a pair of XC's coming tomorrow and X's coming Tuesday. Can't wait to test them out! Also throwing my LCD-2f in the mix. Only one will survive!

I know where I'd put my money :)

Mar 28, 2016 at 6:34 AM Post #7,722 of 12,748
It is what I wrote previous. Qulaity silver or cooper cable will help a little and I am sure it is possible to get one for not more than 100 dollars so it do not have to be expensive. Also I could not use Audeze with tube amps honestly because of darker Audeze character, only with quality solid state amp or via quality clear all in one dac/amp.. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 3:36 PM Post #7,723 of 12,748
  It is what I wrote previous. Qulaity silver or cooper cable will help a little and I am sure it is possible to get one for not more than 100 dollars so it do not have to be expensive. Also I could not use Audeze with tube amps honestly because of darker Audeze character, only with quality solid state amp or via quality clear all in one dac/amp.. 

Dude. Audeze HP's sound awesome with tube amps. You can't get the holographic effect with solid state amps.

Depending on the tubes used. Tube amps can be very transparent.

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #7,724 of 12,748
LCD2 = definitely Solid state and still gotta be picky.  The V200 matched fabulously with it.  Although, it does match well with some hybrid tube amps such as ALO Pan am and Apex amps.  

LCD X = A good tube amp/hybrid.  I tried it with the V200 and I thought the sound was good but the mids were slightly recessed.  Soundstage was more 2d like.  But the bass has a little more boom to it and it sounds faster. V200 amp is a very transparent amp btw. But with a tube amp, as Badas said you get the holographic soundstage, the mids get brought out more and sound is more euphonic with the right tubes. 

I can not comment on the LCD3C/3F as I haven't owned them but I have heard them on some tube amps (Studio six and WA22) and they sound very good.  But I just prefer the sound of the X. 

Mar 28, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #7,725 of 12,748
Great.  something to watch over the next few months.  I'd be a bit leary about updating the drivers till there's a track record on them.  But, if they can improve on the Xs, I'd be curious to hear more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back