Audeze LCD-X
Mar 22, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #7,696 of 12,748
Question.. I was listening to some car sound videos on YouTube through my LCD-X playing off my phone, and a lot of videos have extreme variances in volume, and it can sound fairly loud(even if my phone volume is only at half). Should I be cautious with that? I've read some things about amps clipping, and I figure my phone's headphone amp probably isn't all that powerful, so if the amp clipped couldn't that damage my headphones? Or is that something I shouldn't worry about? I'm not sure how I would manage listening to podcasts either for the same reason.. But that would really be lame if I could only listen through a proper amp to ensure my headphones were protected!

The only time an amp/headphone/speaker should clip short of blowing out is when a recording ends abruptly with the amplitude not equal to zero.

If you're hearing clipping while watching youtube, it's far more likely that the video was overcompressed, or the recording mic clipped, or as Francisk pointed out, your ears.

I'm heavily willing to bet it was compression or the mic clipping since it's unlikely your phone has enough power to make your ears or headphones clip, and I'm willing to also bet YouTube has an auto fade feature to prevent idiots from clipping due to immediate cuts.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #7,697 of 12,748
Oh man, I just feel the need to post here with my LCD-X people since the CanJam thread is a Cavalli and Ether gush-fest now. Ugh. Last weekend being my first CanJam, I walked away after hearing every TOTL can they had from LCD-4s to Abyss to SR009s to HE1000s, Shangri-las, and I gotta say, my LCD-Xs are STILL my favorite headphones. At least for the electronic music I mostly listen to. I'm sure for micro details, effortlessness, and transients those others could trounce the Xs, but nothing made me bob my head like what I have. HE-1000s and Edition Xs get close, but the rest of that stuff was lifeless to me. However, the LCD-3f hooked up to a Questyle monoblock stack was the most gorgeously smooth and lovely sound I've ever heard from headphones or maybe even speaker systems. I just wanted to close my eyes and sink into those audio silk sheets.

Anyone ever heard of Dana Cables? I auditioned a WyWires red on my LCD-Xs and yeah it opened the sound up slightly. But then I tried this thick beast Dana Cable and WHOA. A/B'd it vs. the stock cable a few times to make sure I wasn't trippin, but no, that thing really took the Xs imaging abilities up like 5 levels. I heard elements in my tracks hovering 6" above, in front, and behind my head. It was scary cool. Plus a little boost in sub-bass. Show discounted from $750 to $499 I had to grab it. They're definitely worth checking out.

Mar 24, 2016 at 3:47 AM Post #7,698 of 12,748
 However, the LCD-3f hooked up to a Questyle monoblock stack was the most gorgeously smooth and lovely sound I've ever heard from headphones or maybe even speaker systems. I just wanted to close my eyes and sink into those audio silk sheets.

Nice! I didn't like the 3F that much.  But I fell in love with the LCD-3 classic or the first gen/version.  Now those are smoother than the 3F.  

Mar 24, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #7,699 of 12,748
Nice! I didn't like the 3F that much.  But I fell in love with the LCD-3 classic or the first gen/version.  Now those are smoother than the 3F.  

They are like creamy butter. No other HP like them.
I keep mine nice and safe for those very special sessions. Probably only get used one every 3 months.
For all other sessions it is the LCD-X.

I just love using the LCD-3C and tubes. The combo just melts ya.

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:56 AM Post #7,700 of 12,748
They are like creamy butter. No other HP like them.
I keep mine nice and safe for those very special sessions. Probably only get used one every 3 months.
For all other sessions it is the LCD-X.

I just love using the LCD-3C and tubes. The combo just melts ya.

Yeah I might have to grab a set of 3's eventually. The Audeze death grip with those was no joke at CanJam listening to some Beck, and I don't even like that kind of music. They were that good. Also, bought a WA22 on the spot in the Woo room. It ships tomorrow. My poor LCD-Xs have no idea that something wicked this way comes.

Mar 25, 2016 at 11:32 AM Post #7,701 of 12,748
Yeah I might have to grab a set of 3's eventually. The Audeze death grip with those was no joke at CanJam listening to some Beck, and I don't even like that kind of music. They were that good. Also, bought a WA22 on the spot in the Woo room. It ships tomorrow. My poor LCD-Xs have no idea that something wicked this way comes.

holy sh.. the X + WA22 is a match made in heaven!

Mar 25, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #7,702 of 12,748
holy sh.. the X + WA22 is a match made in heaven!

Whaaaaaat. Even with the stock tubes at CanJam I was drooling. Dynamics for days and so much headroom it's ridiculous. Can't wait til it arrives.

Mar 25, 2016 at 4:32 PM Post #7,703 of 12,748
Mar 25, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #7,704 of 12,748
 holy sh.. the X + WA22 is a match made in heaven

There's a few of us in the same boat.  The sinister looking LCD-X and a good tube amp is the way to go. 

Mar 25, 2016 at 5:18 PM Post #7,705 of 12,748

There's a few of us in the same boat.  The sinister looking LCD-X and a good tube amp is the way to go. 

Love my X out of my Woo WA5.  Next week I get to demo a Cavalli Liquid Gold.  Looking forward to comparing a TOTL Tube Amp to a TOTL SS amp.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:55 AM Post #7,707 of 12,748
I drive mine with a WA7 as well, and I really like the pairing (as long as the amp is set to low impedance; the treble sounds off when using the high impedance setting).  Like you though, I don't use the built-in DAC as well.

Mar 26, 2016 at 6:04 AM Post #7,708 of 12,748
So glad to see everyone still loving their Xs...count me in as well.

Damn you guys for getting me to drool more over that beautiful WA 22 again...always takes me a few days to get it out of my mind afterwards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back