Audeze LCD-X
Mar 9, 2016 at 7:44 PM Post #7,591 of 12,748
Me personally? I would choose the LCD X over the HE-500 (even with that amp) without thinking twice. The HE-500 is great but the X (to me) is one of the best, if the best in its price range.That and the HD800S.
Have you listened to them yet or are you buying them based on review

I'm buying purely based on reviews. I don't live near any places that have a LCD-X on hand for me to test, so I have to take a shot in the dark and return if I don't like them. My favorite headphone I've owned thus far was the He-500(powered with Asgard 2). The only problem I had with it is I felt the treble was a bit too harsh for my liking. I've done a lot of research on flagship or near flagship headphones, and I've come to the conclusion that Audeze is PROBABLY my best bet. That and the LCD line is the prettiest looking headphones out. :)  

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:01 PM Post #7,592 of 12,748
LCD-X for the win... hands down. just get it already 
evil_smiley.gif

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:03 PM Post #7,593 of 12,748
  I'm buying purely based on reviews. I don't live near any places that have a LCD-X on hand for me to test, so I have to take a shot in the dark and return if I don't like them. My favorite headphone I've owned thus far was the He-500(powered with Asgard 2). The only problem I had with it is I felt the treble was a bit too harsh for my liking. I've done a lot of research on flagship or near flagship headphones, and I've come to the conclusion that Audeze is PROBABLY my best bet. That and the LCD line is the prettiest looking headphones out. :)  

If you can power it, the HE6 is also worth some consideration. Its like an HE6 with slightly leaner bass, slightly brighter, and a better midrange. Also more detail

Mar 9, 2016 at 8:50 PM Post #7,594 of 12,748
  LCD-X for the win... hands down. just get it already 
evil_smiley.gif

I'm trying! I was moments away from buying the one that's on eBay now, but I realized the seller is in California, and is also selling an LCD-3 for $1,200. I asked him to provide a serial # several hours ago, but no reply. That's sketchy as hell. I'm waiting until a different pair show up..

EDIT: Looks like the seller took down both items for sale

Mar 10, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #7,596 of 12,748
I wouldn't risk the LCD 3. I wasn't sure at one point, but I believe the X is better. That combined with the (still ongoing) failures.
Find somewhere you can return it if you don't like it. Sound wise I don't believe that you'll want to return it - but weight wise you might. Despite a lot of members recently coming out of the woodwork saying things like 'oh my god they feel like nothing on your head!' or 'oh my god, I get shot out of a canon every day, the weight of the X's is nothing compared to the helmet I have to wear for that!' The X's are still heavy and could cause you comfort issues, so just be aware of that. Also be aware that the revised carbon headband will be coming out soon which will no doubt improve the comfort.

As far as an amp, I suggest something like the JDS labs ODAC, which is a very reasonably priced amp/dac that gets a lot of praise.

I'm hoping the weight won't bother me THAT much. I plan to spend about an hour or two a night listening to music after I get off work. The O2 + ODAC was actually what I had in mind for an amp that'll hold me over until I get my beast amp/dac setup. 

About the sound of the X; I heard that the sound is like listening from an end of a hallway, and that it's not at all crisp or clear. Do you or anyone else share this opinion?

Mar 10, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #7,600 of 12,748

About the sound of the X; I heard that the sound is like listening from an end of a hallway, and that it's not at all crisp or clear. Do you or anyone else share this opinion?

Do not worry one of the best thing in planar magnetic headphones and mainly in Audeze is it has clear black window which is amazing and it actualy adds more accuarcy and livness. Most dynamic headphones have a little gray window (in my opinion). My english is not the best so hope you understand me guys :D

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:08 PM Post #7,602 of 12,748

I'll be getting my own pair soon, but I feel compelled to mention that what sold me on them was Bob Katz's unequivocal recommendation. He uses them as his "reference" headphone along with the Stax 007, and actually said that, when EQed, he can't tell much difference between them, only saying that un-EQed the X has better bass and the 007 has better treble, while the X always sounds "punchier" and the 007 airier: http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/katzs-corner-great-headphone-shootout-part-5-revisions#KWHDJV4tYjp73pO0.97

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #7,603 of 12,748
+1
I'm still in great hesitation to let LCD-X go despite my latest acquisition of Abyss. May be it's not at the level of Abyss's performance, but it's sooooo good to keep :)  
Yeah the Abyss is in a different league and is a logical step up for those that love the X. If money was no object I would own both. The Abyss could be several steps up (which I think it is) and I'd still enjoy the X. Truly one of my favourites ever.

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:42 PM Post #7,604 of 12,748
Yeah the Abyss is in a different league and is a logical step up for those that love the X. If money was no object I would own both. The Abyss could be several steps up (which I think it is) and I'd still enjoy the X. Truly one of my favourites ever.

Given the bass distortion and wonky treble of The Abyss, I'm not so sure if I'd say they're "in a different league." 

Mar 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #7,605 of 12,748

If you impression are that the treble on HE 500 was a bit too harsh…. I wouldn’t be so sure a change to the LCDX will solve that issue. Better on many other accounts yes, but not more forgiving or smoother treble, IME. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back