Audeze LCD-X
Oct 12, 2013 at 6:41 AM Post #122 of 12,748
  Yes I know that. But some headphones benefit more from being balanced and the 3's to me benefited allot better to me than the 2's or he-500's. Seeing the X's coming with only se is just sort of a bummer to me and leaves me wondering if it will greatly benefit from being balanced like the 3's or kind have a give and take scenario that I had with the 2's and 500's.

For people that have no use of their hands going balanced may not be a cheap decision. Unless they want to go with a cheap adapter cable which to me would be frustrating on a headphone that costs as much as the X's do. Just my 2 cents.

Two things:
- The LCD-X are targetted to studio audiences and balanced use is a requirement
- SE vs Balanced in terms of SQ is also a matter of amplifier topology. If your amplifier is balanced, then it will always sound better than SE. And the other way around.

It's just ridiculous nitpicking at these two details. I personally never used the stock balanced cable and always use aftermarket cables with my Audeze. Many don't even care about the stock cables whatsoever.

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #123 of 12,748
  Hi Guys,

This is my first post and as a Audeze dealer in the UK this is the first I have heard about the LCD-X and XC, as a LCD-3 user I can't wait to get a chance to hear these, any idea on release? be interesting to see where the prices will sit in the UK.

Think I need to send a quick mail over to the Audeze Distributor over here to see what he knows :)

Let us know what you find out. I've been planning on getting the LCD-2 like forever, and now the LCD-X is calling me :wink:

Oct 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM Post #126 of 12,748
on paper, seem to me the easiest audeze to drive

It looks like that. I wonder how that'll translate to amp compatibility? I'm running my LCD-2s out of a Mjolnir and I've yet to hear a less expensive amp I like with them. Doesn't mean they're not out there, but I haven't found anything yet. I also have a Magni (used for my HD650s at work) and although it's able to power the LCD-2s, I find the pairing unlistenable. The Magni isn't the best match for the HD650, but it does a very credible job.

It would be nice if the LCD-X is less picky about amps, but on the other hand, if it has incredible resolution and transparency, it may be more likely to expose any flaws in the signal chain. The LCD-2 sounds great out of the Mjolnir, partly because it drives the LCD-2 a little brighter--I'm hoping the LCD-X won't get too bright out of the MJ.

Oct 12, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #127 of 12,748
It looks like that. I wonder how that'll translate to amp compatibility? I'm running my LCD-2s out of a Mjolnir and I've yet to hear a less expensive amp I like with them. Doesn't mean they're not out there, but I haven't found anything yet. I also have a Magni (used for my HD650s at work) and although it's able to power the LCD-2s, I find the pairing unlistenable. The Magni isn't the best match for the HD650, but it does a very credible job.

It would be nice if the LCD-X is less picky about amps, but on the other hand, if it has incredible resolution and transparency, it may be more likely to expose any flaws in the signal chain. The LCD-2 sounds great out of the Mjolnir, partly because it drives the LCD-2 a little brighter--I'm hoping the LCD-X won't get too bright out of the MJ.

agree. i liked the lcd-2 rev.1 and rev.2 with a powerful amp and i don´t like the high frequencies :)

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #128 of 12,748
  The rev1 stock pads are not that good, almost borderlining on sucking. Putting on the LCD-3 pads makes a huge difference for comfort.

Rev1 pads were quite peculiar I agree. I did not like them either but the newer rev2s have more plushy angled pads that weren't as bad, and while I had both the 2 and the 3, I couldn't decide which felt more comfortable since the LCD3's pads were very squishy but comfortable on the head, but built up heat and sweat, while my rev2's pads were more firm, but was cooler and not overly squishy.

Oct 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #129 of 12,748
  Yes I know that. But some headphones benefit more from being balanced and the 3's to me benefited allot better to me than the 2's or he-500's. Seeing the X's coming with only se is just sort of a bummer to me and leaves me wondering if it will greatly benefit from being balanced like the 3's or kind have a give and take scenario that I had with the 2's and 500's.

For people that have no use of their hands going balanced may not be a cheap decision. Unless they want to go with a cheap adapter cable which to me would be frustrating on a headphone that costs as much as the X's do. Just my 2 cents.

It's not that different headphones benefit from going balanced, but more like whether it scales enough to actually show the differences. Honestly, anyone who can afford the LCD3 and LCDX/C would be able to afford balanced cables... I mean normal cables these days cost $250+ but there are companies like HPLaudio that are MUCH cheaper with excellent quality as well.

Also, you cannot use an SE to balanced adapter cable. It'll blow the amp. You can only go from balanced termination to SE adapter. 

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #131 of 12,748

Two things:
- The LCD-X are targetted to studio audiences and balanced use is a requirement
- SE vs Balanced in terms of SQ is also a matter of amplifier topology. If your amplifier is balanced, then it will always sound better than SE. And the other way around.

It's just ridiculous nitpicking at these two details. I personally never used the stock balanced cable and always use aftermarket cables with my Audeze. Many don't even care about the stock cables whatsoever.

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:38 PM Post #132 of 12,748
Hallo everybody from the CanJam,
i' ve just tried the Lcd-X with the stock balanced cable driven by the fantastic cavalli audio liquid gold balanced amplifier.The dac was the V800 by Violectric.
I've used some of my reference recordings(courtesy of Audeze staff.they are really nice people).I do audio mastering and i often use headphones.
I can tell you that first i've listened to the Lcd-3 with the liquid gold and the V800.
Then i've switched to the Lcd-x with the same setup using the same stock balanced cable and the same reference recordings.
The first thing i've noticed is that the output volume on the Lcd-x is higher than the lcd-3.
The Lcd-x is for me the best product that Audeze has now on the market.The tone and the frequency response is much more balanced
across the entire frequency spectrum compared to the top of the line model Lcd-3.
I could easily master a record using the Lcd-x because i hear the source in more balanced and clear way compared to the lcd-3.
The Lcd-x is also faster in transient response compared to the Lcd-3.
These are my initial impressions.

I think i'll buy one.

Recommended.

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #133 of 12,748
i' ve just tried the Lcd-X with the stock balanced cable driven by the fantastic cavalli audio liquid gold balanced amplifier.The dac was the V800 by Violectric.
I've used some of my reference recordings(courtesy of Audeze staff.they are really nice people).I do audio mastering and i often use headphones.
I can tell you that first i've listened to the Lcd-3 with the liquid gold and the V800.
Then i've switched to the Lcd-x with the same setup using the same stock balanced cable and the same reference recordings.
The first thing i've noticed is that the output volume on the Lcd-x is higher than the lcd-3.
The Lcd-x is for me the best product that Audeze has now on the market.The tone and the frequency response is much more balanced
across the entire frequency spectrum compared to the top of the line model Lcd-3.
I could easily master a record using the Lcd-x because i hear the source in more balanced and clear way compared to the lcd-3.

I think i'll buy one.

Recommended.

Great stuff! I think it's really great to hear they could improve the transients with the new driver. If they're faster maybe it's due to faster decays - and that's awesome. How is the soundstage presentation and imaging compared to the LCD-3s?

Oct 12, 2013 at 5:50 PM Post #134 of 12,748
  Don't remember saying anything to you, but good for you.

rolleyes.gif

Oct 12, 2013 at 6:15 PM Post #135 of 12,748

I think i'll buy one.

Recommended.

At last, some news from CanJam--thank you! Stating that the LCD-X is up to the task of mastering is high praise indeed. From the limited impressions so far, I see the LCD-X as the successor to the LCD-3. I'm sure some will still prefer the LCD-3, just as some prefer the LCD-2 for its voicing, but it sounds like the LCD-X is technically superior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back