Audeze LCD-X
Jul 20, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #12,271 of 12,748
Audeze kindly sent me the FR graph for my 2021 LCD-X:

mKuOv99.jpg

Do I need to EQ or are things good enough? I see there is a bump at around 11K but I have no idea if it's significant or not.
I’m really not sure why they send those graphs made on the Neumann HATS when they have a Kemar..

I’d try the Oratory1990 preset. It did wonders for mine. Personally I like it even more relaxed than harman around 4k. You can adjust to your taste.

Jul 20, 2021 at 8:41 PM Post #12,272 of 12,748
I’m really not sure why they send those graphs made on the Neumann HATS when they have a Kemar..

I’d try the Oratory1990 preset. It did wonders for mine. Personally I like it even more relaxed than harman around 4k. You can adjust to your taste.
I've been listening to the LCD-X 2021 with the Oratory1990 preset all day, this may well be endgame territory

Jul 21, 2021 at 1:59 AM Post #12,273 of 12,748
I was hoping to post some thoughts and comparisons on the LCD-X. It’s a bit long, but might be informative. Where on Head-Fi is the best place to post it? Is it better to post as an article, or just a post on this thread?

Jul 21, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #12,274 of 12,748
I was hoping to post some thoughts and comparisons on the LCD-X. It’s a bit long, but might be informative. Where on Head-Fi is the best place to post it? Is it better to post as an article, or just a post on this thread?
perhaps write on review article and share the link here?

Jul 23, 2021 at 6:24 PM Post #12,276 of 12,748
Jul 23, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #12,277 of 12,748
I'm in a club now too, got myself the LCD-X a week ago.
An absolutely freaking good heaphone. The build is excellent, the looks too and of course the sound. Coming from HD 660S here and my god LCD-X destroy those.
The bass is so much deeper and so much better controlled, the highs... There are just so much details in the highs and the mids are good, but i think i still prefet the HD 660S mids a tad more. Overall, the sound is very neutral i think and while pushing details into your years it is never harsh. The sound is extremely gentle and extremely revealing.
The weight... At first i was afraid that i won't handle it, but surprisingly i've been wearing the LCD-X for 5-6 hours for last three days and it was completely fine which is a surprise for me.
One con tho... When i first placed the headphone onto my head and started the music i thought "wait, there is smth wrong with the balance".
I triple checked it (compared to other headphones) and yeah, if it's not some kinda special staging that these headphones provide, there is a clear 1.5 - 1.75 dB (!!!) channel imbalance!
I contacted my local dealer and it appears to be they don't have a measurement rig, so they can only LISTEN to the heapdhone and IF they find any problems they will send it to ANOTHER CITY leaving me without the headphone for 20 days!!! That's so frustrating...
I've read Audeze helped the other dude here, may be they could somehow solve my problem too, so @Audeze please, contact me!

02_hp.PNG07_hp.PNG

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #12,278 of 12,748
An absolutely freaking good heaphone. The build is excellent, the looks too and of course the sound. Coming from HD 660S here and my god LCD-X destroy those.
The bass is so much deeper and so much better controlled, the highs... There are just so much details in the highs and the mids are good, but i think i still prefet the HD 660S mids a tad more. Overall, the sound is very neutral i think and while pushing details into your years it is never harsh. The sound is extremely gentle and extremely revealing.
The weight... At first i was afraid that i won't handle it, but surprisingly i've been wearing the LCD-X for 5-6 hours for last three days and it was completely fine which is a surprise for me.
One con tho... When i first placed the headphone onto my head and started the music i thought "wait, there is smth wrong with the balance".
I triple checked it (compared to other headphones) and yeah, if it's not some kinda special staging that these headphones provide, there is a clear 1.5 - 1.75 dB (!!!) channel imbalance!
I contacted my local dealer and it appears to be they don't have a measurement rig, so they can only LISTEN to the heapdhone and IF they find any problems they will send it to ANOTHER CITY leaving me without the headphone for 20 days!!! That's so frustrating...
I've read Audeze helped the other dude here, may be they could somehow solve my problem too, so @Audeze please, contact me!

02_hp.PNG07_hp.PNG
Just send an email to support@audeze.com They will take care of you. I was able to get a replacement approved for a manufacturing defect on mine within a day, they’ll probably do the same for you as the drivers should be matched and balanced prior to leaving the factory.

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #12,280 of 12,748
This might be a dumb question but... There is a lot of room in these headphones due to how large the pads are. How do you guys position these headphones on your ears? For my head, moving the headphones backwards/forwards changes the angle of the driver. To me, it seems that pushing them back ( so the inner edge of the pads is close to the tragus of my ear ) improves the soundstage and instrument separation a bit. This is with the 2020 LCD-X and it's thicker pads (not the new 2021 revision).

Jul 27, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #12,281 of 12,748
This might be a dumb question but... There is a lot of room in these headphones due to how large the pads are. How do you guys position these headphones on your ears? For my head, moving the headphones backwards/forwards changes the angle of the driver. To me, it seems that pushing them back ( so the inner edge of the pads is close to the tragus of my ear ) improves the soundstage and instrument separation a bit. This is with the 2020 LCD-X and it's thicker pads (not the new 2021 revision).
I tend to wiggle the earcups around in a 3D way to so the pads make good contact all around. However, I have noticed a slight difference in sound signature depending on whether I am standing/sitting upright compared to when I am lying down in bed.

Jul 30, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #12,282 of 12,748

02_hp.PNG07_hp.PNG

Same issue here SubL0ck!
Mine are just above a month old and I too detect a channel imbalance where the left channel is about 1.5 dB quieter than the right. Been testing with different sources and headphones (Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro & Sennheiser HD600).
Emailed Audeze support from their website and they reckon it might be a faulty cable. So, I've ordered a new set of cables which should arrive early next week. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #12,283 of 12,748
Same issue here SubL0ck!
Mine are just above a month old and I too detect a channel imbalance where the left channel is about 1.5 dB quieter than the right. Been testing with different sources and headphones (Focal Clear, Beyerdynamic DT 770 pro & Sennheiser HD600).
Emailed Audeze support from their website and they reckon it might be a faulty cable. So, I've ordered a new set of cables which should arrive early next week. Hopefully that makes a difference.
No, the cable cannot be a culprit, that's Audeze's BS. Unfortunately, Audeze are too proud to acknowledge their fault in regards to channel imbalance. They usually mention their meticulous QC which ostensibly excludes any possibility for the slightest channel imbalance. So be ready to start a dispute procedure. I used to report my negative experience with Audeze when their support accused me of hearing damage and threatened to return the headphones back to me unchanged if they don't find any fault at the factory (at my expense from USA to Australia I paid a fortune for shipping). Nobody believed me here when I talked about it. I had to file a dispute and get my money back. I bought my next set from a local dealer. And luckily there is no channel imbalance in my new LCD-X.

On the other hand, I used to have another faulty headphone with channel imbalance from Hifiman. As soon as I reported that, they acknowledged their fault and immediately replaced the headphone, no questions asked, with a complementary present on top. And now my new Arya sounds wonderful.

I hope Audeze changed their attitude towards better customer support. Let us know how it goes.

Jul 31, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #12,284 of 12,748
No, the cable cannot be a culprit, that's Audeze's BS. Unfortunately, Audeze are too proud to acknowledge their fault in regards to channel imbalance. They usually mention their meticulous QC which ostensibly excludes any possibility for the slightest channel imbalance. So be ready to start a dispute procedure. I used to report my negative experience with Audeze when their support accused me of hearing damage and threatened to return the headphones back to me unchanged if they don't find any fault at the factory (at my expense from USA to Australia I paid a fortune for shipping). Nobody believed me here when I talked about it. I had to file a dispute and get my money back. I bought my next set from a local dealer. And luckily there is no channel imbalance in my new LCD-X.

On the other hand, I used to have another faulty headphone with channel imbalance from Hifiman. As soon as I reported that, they acknowledged their fault and immediately replaced the headphone, no questions asked, with a complementary present on top. And now my new Arya sounds wonderful.

I hope Audeze changed their attitude towards better customer support. Let us know how it goes.
So far their support has been courteous and helpful. Let's see how it shapes up. Loving the headphones though! :)
For now I have the right channel down by 1.5 dB

Jul 31, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #12,285 of 12,748
Same issue here SubL0ck!
You can easily check if it's a cable related issue simply by switching cable sides. Connect L to the R and if the issue is still there, it's not the cable. It might be the jack tho...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back