Audeze LCD-X
May 21, 2020 at 4:12 PM Post #11,327 of 12,748
I have both and to me the two sound similar enough to be honest.
Similar? Perhaps in detail retrieval.
The Clear has dynamic drivers and the X has the biggest planar transducers to start with.
The Clear's treble is brighter, the whole sound is more forward and more aggressive with a smaller soundstage. And even the Clear has the roll off in sub-bass which is inherent to dynamic drivers.
The X sounds more spacious, more punchy with a much better bass but sounds less aggressive. Not as laid back as the LCD2C, but still an easier listen compared to the Clear. The X's bass extension is much superior. At least to my ears.

May 21, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #11,328 of 12,748
The Clear has dynamic drivers and the X has the biggest planar transducers to start with.
The Clear's treble is brighter, the whole sound is more forward and more aggressive with a smaller soundstage. And even the Clear has the roll off in sub-bass which is inherent to dynamic drivers.
The X sounds more spacious, more punchy with a much better bass but sounds less aggressive. Not as laid back as the LCD2C, but still an easier listen compared to the Clear. The X's bass extension is much superior. At least to my ears.

I have both and this has been my experience also. Prior to buying the X I had seen/read reviews that said it's soundstage was on the smaller side and similar to the Clear but I've been pleasantly surprised by it's performance in this realm. Maybe it's the (much) larger drivers but I immediately was struck by how BIG the sound was compared to the Clear, which was my favorite phone up till then. I was so impressed by the X i've since acquired a used XC which, even though closed, still has a larger soundstage than the Clear.

May 21, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #11,329 of 12,748
I have both and this has been my experience also. Prior to buying the X I had seen/read reviews that said it's soundstage was on the smaller side and similar to the Clear but I've been pleasantly surprised by it's performance in this realm. Maybe it's the (much) larger drivers but I immediately was struck by how BIG the sound was compared to the Clear, which was my favorite phone up till then. I was so impressed by the X i've since acquired a used XC which, even though closed, still has a larger soundstage than the Clear.
True. Even though the X is not a new headphone, they are still very competitive and offer a unique selling point. If you can live with the weight, the X is a hell of a bargain these days. In the creator package they go for £1149 at the moment, but the price is likely to go up. On the secondhand market they can be found for £750-850 at the moment which IMO is exceptional price for the performance you get.
The unique selling point of Audeze headphones is basically the best bass performance in the industry. If you are an audiophile basshead with a strong neck Audeze is your ticket to paradise. Nothing comes close to this bass performance in any price range. Yes, other headphone manufacturers are better in certain things like a more natural timbre or bigger head-space, but Audeze still kills the competition when it comes to bass performance only. (Due to the biggest and heaviest transducers; something for something.)
And from the Audeze line up you get the best bass for your money with the LCDX at the moment. If you look exclusively at bass performance, only the LCD4, D8000 or Abyss TC can beat the LCDX which is quite something if you look at the retail (or secondhand) prices. Of course, this is only the perspective of a bass purist on a relative budget.

May 21, 2020 at 5:18 PM Post #11,330 of 12,748
True. Even though the X is not a new headphone, they are still very competitive and offer a unique selling point. If you can live with the weight, the X is a hell of a bargain these days. In the creator package they go for £1149 at the moment, but the price is likely to go up. On the secondhand market they can be found for £750-850 at the moment which IMO is exceptional price for the performance you get.
The unique selling point of Audeze headphones is basically the best bass performance in the industry. If you are an audiophile basshead with a strong neck Audeze is your ticket to paradise. Nothing comes close to this bass performance in any price range. Yes, other headphone manufacturers are better in certain things like a more natural timbre or bigger head-space, but Audeze still kills the competition when it comes to bass performance only. (Due to the biggest and heaviest transducers; something for something.)
And from the Audeze line up you get the best bass for your money with the LCDX at the moment. If you look exclusively at bass performance, only the LCD4, D8000 or Abyss TC can beat the LCDX which is quite something if you look at the retail (or secondhand) prices. Of course, this is only the perspective of a bass purist on a relative budget.

I'm not really a basshead at all and what I love about the X & XC is that they don't add any bass to the music, they just give you better clean extension than anything else I've heard. Tight, accurate & lovely bass really enhances everything IMO, kind of like adding a subwoofer to an HT system (not a fan for 2-channel).

I got my Creator's Package X as an open-box from an authorized dealer at a considerably lower price than retail and as previously stated I bought the XC (Full Package) used. Combined cost was right at what the Full Package X sells for at retail normally. Could not be more pleased overall. Tried to listen to my Clears recently and could only take it for a couple of hours before I went back to the X. I'll still keep the Clear as a counterpoint/compliment to the Audezes but my preference is *cough* clear.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 5:23 PM Post #11,331 of 12,748
I'm not really a basshead at all and what I love about the X & XC is that they don't add any bass to the music, they just give you better clean extension than anything else I've heard. Tight, accurate & lovely bass really enhances everything IMO, kind of like adding a subwoofer to an HT system (not a fan for 2-channel).

I got my Creator's Package X as an open-box from an authorized dealer at a considerably lower price than retail and as previously stated I bought the XC (Full Package) used. Combined cost was right at what the Full Package X sells for at retail normally. Could not be more pleased overall. Tried to listen to my Clears recently and could only take it for a couple of hours before I went back to the X. I'll still keep the Clear as a counterpoint/compliment to the Audezes but my preference is *cough* clear.
I think there are two different types of bass heads. 1, going for the biggest 'brain shaking' mid-bass quantity. 2, going for a flat and neutral bass presentation but with real punch and authority. I consider myself to be in the second group. I listen to a lot of carefully layered and detailed electronic music where accurate but authoritative bass presentation is essential.

May 21, 2020 at 5:49 PM Post #11,332 of 12,748
I think there are two different types of bass heads. 1, going for the biggest 'brain shaking' mid-bass quantity. 2, going for a flat and neutral bass presentation but with real punch and authority. I consider myself to be in the second group. I listen to a lot of carefully layered and detailed electronic music where accurate but authoritative bass presentation is essential.

Sounds like our musical tastes are similar which may explain our mutual admiration for the X. If you haven't heard it yet, give the XC a listen sometime. I've only had mine for a couple of days but I was immediately struck by how open & wide they sound with little to no loss of soundstage versus the X. Not claustrophobic at all.

May 21, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #11,333 of 12,748
That's alright well agree to disagree.

May 21, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #11,334 of 12,748
Sounds like our musical tastes are similar which may explain our mutual admiration for the X. If you haven't heard it yet, give the XC a listen sometime. I've only had mine for a couple of days but I was immediately struck by how open & wide they sound with little to no loss of soundstage versus the X. Not claustrophobic at all.
I absolutely love my XCs as well. Great cans. And the clears. I don't want to leave them out.
15901004133117706867435920049328.jpg

May 21, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #11,335 of 12,748
Yes I agree as I am in the second group as well. The LCD 4s I just picked up are the best I've ever heard in detailed bass.
11235999.jpg

May 21, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #11,336 of 12,748
Yes I agree as I am in the second group as well. The LCD 4s I just picked up are the best I've ever heard in detailed bass.11235999.jpg
I agree, LCD4 bass is the best I have ever heard as well. (Yet to audition Abyss). That said, I actually picked the Empyrean over the LCD4 due to the more lifelike and more organic tone and timbre even though I am a 'bass head from the second category' and LCD4 bass is better than Empy bass.

May 21, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #11,337 of 12,748
I agree, LCD4 bass is the best I have ever heard as well. (Yet to audition Abyss). That said, I actually picked the Empyrean over the LCD4 due to the more lifelike and more organic tone and timbre even though I am a 'bass head from the second category' and LCD4 bass is better than Empy bass.
Dies the Empyrean get close in the Bass Department?

May 21, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #11,338 of 12,748
Dies the Empyrean get close in the Bass Department?
Empy bass is satisfying enough. It doesn't leave the feeling that you are missing out on anything. That said, in direct comparison the LCD4 bass is tighter and cleaner. The Empyrean is a more opened and more natural sounding headphone compared to the LCD4, but the LCD4 wins when it comes to bass clarity and tightness.

May 21, 2020 at 6:59 PM Post #11,339 of 12,748
Empy bass is satisfying enough. It doesn't leave the feeling that you are missing out on anything. That said, in direct comparison the LCD4 bass is tighter and cleaner. The Empyrean is a more opened and more natural sounding headphone compared to the LCD4, but the LCD4 wins when it comes to bass clarity and tightness.
Yes I love the LCD 4 bass. Simply delicious.

May 21, 2020 at 7:07 PM Post #11,340 of 12,748
Thanks for the short comparison :)
Gonna get my own Empyrean in 5 months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back