1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Audeze LCD-X

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by icenine2, Oct 4, 2013.
Tags:
First

Back
734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743
745 746
Next

Last
  1. d.eugene.a
    I have been researching a bit and it looks like Schiit Modi Multibit and Rupert Neve RNHP can be a good option as well. I still have two questions:
    - Wouldn't it be too neutral with LCD-X? I would like to get engaging sound with nice vocals and impactful bass. I don't care if sound is colored or not. I prefer magical and beautiful sound instead of analytical.
    - How will LCD-X sound from a tube amplifier? I heard that it has incredible synergy with pentode tube amplifiers, but personally never heard any tube amp.

2. kid vic
    I doubt that that will be too neutral for the LCD-X, I once heard the LCD-X with a chord Hugo2 and it blew me away (I tried my Ether Flow 1.1s on the same setup and found that too neutral). The problem with tube amps and planars is that a lot of them just don't push enough current for the planars to be happy; a few do but the are quite expensive. The general consensus is that planars like solid state power more than tubes.

3. Lohb
    Think its push-pull vs OTL issue for planars with push-pull design plus adequate wattage headroom being matched to planars (?)

4. kid vic
    I will openly say that it could be down to design and I just haven't been privy to the right design.

Lohb likes this.
  5. MachineGunz
    Yes, I can't justify spending so much on my gear at the moment.

5000$ on headphones and another 6300$ on the chord hugo tt2. I think I will get a better dac and amplifier and then think about changing my headphones.

How do you think the THX 789 sounds on metal with the LCD X?

You did say it sounded less thin and had less body, Which I don't think will be good for my music tastes. I want an "in your face" experience but I really love transparency and clean sound.

These are the go to songs to determine if any equipment / headphones will be good for me:

Orden Ogan - Gunmen
    Beast In Black - Beast in black
    Sabaton - Seven pillars of wisdom
    Five Finger Death Punch - Lift me up
    Brothers of metal - Fire blood and steel
    Breaking Benjamin - Red cold river

Zardonic - For justice

If these songs sound good - Clear, Powerful, Punchy and not laid back then I would like to have it.

Another option is the Schiit Jotunheim which is the same price as the THX 789.

Thanks a lot!

6. nerone
    I have one LCD-X with a Woo Audio WA6-SE. All I can say is it is a magnificent combo. The bass is very well controlled and full with good impact. The sound is as well controlled as with my SS Musical Fidelity M1HPAP, but much more delicate and musical.
    The WA6-SE is a transformer coupled tube amplifier and considering I also had a schiit valhalla 2 some time ago, which is an OTL design, I recommend you to stay away from OTL with the LCD-X. Despite being very efficient, the LCD-X didn't match well with the Valhalla. The bass was very loose and the sound was kind of slow.
    I didn't try it myself, but I think the WA6 (non SE) would match well also. It has less power, but the LCD-X seems to be efficient enough.

7. d.eugene.a
    Rupert Neve RNHP or Schiit MJOLNIR? Can't decide which way to go. Mjolnir is significantly more expensive, but if it's a better and more enjoyable sound I can get it. Has somebody compared those two devices?

8. mixman
    I would think the THX 789 would be a maybe a slightly better amp than the Neve, but I would love to hear a comparison myself of the Cavalli Liquid Platinum and the Mjolnir 2.

9. CreditingKarma

I happen to have a Cavalli liquid platinum for sale in the classifieds.

10. mixman
    Saw that, thanks. I used to own one and was looking for better alternatives like the Mjolnir or maybe the Woo WA6 SE

11. kid vic
    It's easier to find a used Mjolnir and resell it if you don't like it than to find a used RNHP. I'd say buy the RNHP and then if your unsure buy a used Mjolnir for comparison and sell the one you don't like.

12. bobo64
    Hi, I suppose there are some of you here who have both lcd 2F and lcd X. Lcd X are known as the most linear and the brightest in the lcd line. Then, why do I hear lcd 2F as tiny bit brighter than lcd X? is it because lcd 2F is more forward sounding than lcd X? Thanks.

13. phthora
    Interesting... The difference in brightness you find may depend upon what frequency you personally use as a reference for volume. For example, I find that 2k tends to be that point for me, so I listen louder to headphones that have less presence there and quieter to headphones that have more presence there. With the 2F and X, they have a small difference in presence at that 2k, so I listen to them at slightly different volumes. That difference might end up skewing my perception of the sound slightly.

14. bobo64
    I agree. For me, it's the same reference point, around 2k. I've noticed that I have to push lcd x a bit more to get the same level of high frequences. So, it seems that it's got to do something with lcd 2 being more forward.

15. TK16
    I have both the LP and MJ2. Pretty much I would say the LP wins in form factor only. MJ2 has many qualities in its favor vs the LP. Imo and with my own gear including tubes of course.

First

Back
734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743
745 746
Next

Last