Audeze LCD-X
Aug 21, 2019 at 3:20 AM Post #11,101 of 12,748
I actually compared the two a few months ago and found the LCD-2CB to sound like a rather unrefined and ponderous version of the LCD-X. In some ways that could be a good thing for you (the X will seem like a step up in definition and refinement), in other ways you may find it detrimental (the price difference might not be worthwhile for you. Maybe consider the LCD-3 or a used LCD-4z if you want to stay Audeze or an Arya or HE6se if you want to stay planar but get something different?
LCD-3 nice one, but potential driver issues scares me =) I like Audeze's sound, but maybe i should listen different models at local store.

Aug 21, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #11,102 of 12,748
I've heard a lot of people suggest i should avoid audeze headphones due to large variations in quality control for the LCD-X :frowning2:
i've been told its better to go with hifiman, mrspeakers, meze or other planars.

The thing is, I kinda wanna get an LCD-X but for a tiny bit more i could get the Arya from hifiman.

Has anyone tried/bought an LCD-X in the last 6-8 months or tried more than one LCD-X at a time to see if the variations are a thing? ive been told it will either sound broken and terrible and have bad channel imbalancing or it will be ok sounding. i'm scared :frowning2: i dont want to drop LCD-X money on something that may be broken or not made well...

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #11,104 of 12,748
My LCD-X are the 2016 revision and are perfect in build and sound great
Have you heard other X's recently? like within the last few months that are even newer? (new headband revision)

Aug 21, 2019 at 9:50 AM Post #11,105 of 12,748
I'm slowly coming to conclusion that even though the sound of the lcd-x is great, buying them was a mistake. It's too expensive to be so fragile. These things break. Something will break and it will be too soon. And it is too expensive to fix. It is seemingly no more durable than a cheap pair of headphones and I go through about 5 pairs a year. If it isn't a broken wire, it is detached earmuff or something or the other.

Aug 21, 2019 at 10:36 AM Post #11,106 of 12,748
I'm slowly coming to conclusion that even though the sound of the lcd-x is great, buying them was a mistake. It's too expensive to be so fragile. These things break. Something will break and it will be too soon. And it is too expensive to fix. It is seemingly no more durable than a cheap pair of headphones and I go through about 5 pairs a year. If it isn't a broken wire, it is detached earmuff or something or the other.
Hate to tell you this is pretty much all manufacturers no matter how much they cost. There are issues with all of them. This is not just headphones too.

Aug 21, 2019 at 12:04 PM Post #11,108 of 12,748
Aug 22, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #11,111 of 12,748
I've heard a lot of people suggest i should avoid audeze headphones due to large variations in quality control for the LCD-X :frowning2:
i've been told its better to go with hifiman, mrspeakers, meze or other planars.

The thing is, I kinda wanna get an LCD-X but for a tiny bit more i could get the Arya from hifiman.

Has anyone tried/bought an LCD-X in the last 6-8 months or tried more than one LCD-X at a time to see if the variations are a thing? ive been told it will either sound broken and terrible and have bad channel imbalancing or it will be ok sounding. i'm scared :frowning2: i dont want to drop LCD-X money on something that may be broken or not made well...

I have got the same decision issues. Currently, I own a pair of MrSpeakers Ether Flow 1.1, which are really great but I miss a bit of a punch on the low end. I've been reading mixed reviews about the Ayra, especially the build quality.
The Moon-audio B-stock offer for the LCD-X sounds like a really good deal. Also, the new Ether 2's are lingering in the decision part of my brain but they are a bit more expensive than the Ayra's and way more than the B-stock LCD-X's.

Aug 22, 2019 at 8:47 AM Post #11,112 of 12,748

owned the X and demo-ed Arya

i would pick Arya because of the comfort but it's way less meaty sounding than the X;

also less dark but just as speedy if not speedier

would EQ bass on Arya for my preferences

Aug 22, 2019 at 1:58 PM Post #11,113 of 12,748
My X is a 2018 model with the new headband. It sounds great, very similar to my subsequently purchased MX4. I'm not sure what all the recent panic in this thread is about though. Audeze cans come with a 3 year transferable warranty and a 30 day return policy. If you get a pair that sounds nothing like the descriptions you've heard, or like the one you auditioned, you've got a fallback. That is, unless you buy them from a dealer who's return policy sucks, but then maybe just avoid those retailers.

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #11,114 of 12,748
I have got the same decision issues. Currently, I own a pair of MrSpeakers Ether Flow 1.1, which are really great but I miss a bit of a punch on the low end. I've been reading mixed reviews about the Ayra, especially the build quality.
The Moon-audio B-stock offer for the LCD-X sounds like a really good deal. Also, the new Ether 2's are lingering in the decision part of my brain but they are a bit more expensive than the Ayra's and way more than the B-stock LCD-X's.
the problem is, ive heard that audeze have some quality control issues with their line. and i've been told that the lcd-x is a gamble as to either getting a good pair or a pair that sounds broken...
i've heard hifiman has less discrepancies and that its a better investment? idk im still on the fence, lets not fool anyone. LCD-X price and Arya price is still.. quite alot and we want value for our money.

Aug 24, 2019 at 10:25 PM Post #11,115 of 12,748
The problems were mostly LCD-3 and LCD-4 100 ohm. The problems with the 3 were several years ago. The 4 problems were solved by switching to the 200 ohm drivers. My X was with me for 2 1/2 years before moving on to the 4 which has performed flawlessly for 2 years. Recall also that Audeze has a three year transferable warranty on drivers. If your drivers have to be replaced that 3 years warrantee resets to day 1.

HifiMan build quality pales in comparison to the rock solid build of Audeze. At the price one can find a new X, it makes the X the best value of the Audeze line.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back