Audeze LCD-X

Discussion in 'High-end Audio Forum' started by icenine2, Oct 4, 2013.
Tags:
First

Back
643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652
654 655 656 657
Next

Last
  1. HungryPanda
    I will never sell mine (I hope)

2. fradoca
    I use the LCD-X as a reference in my little mastering studio.I've recently bought the LCD-X Creator Package 2017.My new lcd-x has been built by audeze on the 6th of november.
    The drivers mounted on it are the latest ones.Compared to my previous 2014 Lcd-x this new one sounds much better.It's more balanced on the overall frequency response and more extended on low and especially high frequencies.
    Definitely a step ahead.Then if you use it with the Audeze Reveal Plugin the sonic experience is quite remarkable.I drive the Lcd-x in balanced mode with the HE-9 by Audio GD.My source is a heavily modified benchmark dac1.

SomeGuyDude, UELong and HungryPanda like this.
  3. Scapewalker
    Would you guys recommend a cable upgrade andnif so which 1?

I have seen ppl talk about new cables copper/silver really making a difference for the LCD-2s.

4. SomeGuyDude
    I got one just because it's more sturdy and looks nice, there's not going to be any audible difference.

5. Scapewalker
    Thinking about the JDS Element with LCD-X. They are somewhat cheap and the X aren't necessarily hard to drive. Do you guys have any experience with the Element?
    Or should i just go with the Jotunheim?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  6. SomeGuyDude
    I'd get the Element myself. I don't have experience with the Jot-X combo but I admit that later experience has somewhat cooled me off on Schiit products.

7. UELong
    SilverBlue Audio! California-based cable maker. He sent me his cables to compare before buying, comparing them to a SilverDragon. I bought his Silver-Gold cable. I'll try to find his email if you like. I have to respectively disagree with @SomeGuyDude, in that I've found a noticeable change in sound with audio cables. USB cables-I'm not convinced. But, my first improvement with the LCD-X was changing from stock to the Wywires Red. I don't care about looks, being a blind guy and all that. But, I'm a believer in audio cables for sound uptake, FWIW.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
  8. SomeGuyDude
    BTW I don't know if it's just from being away for so long or if there really is a difference, but the repaired X I got sounds significantly... weightier than I recall? I guess? It's still energetic and dynamic, but if it's whatever their new drivers are, there's a smoothness to the sound that I don't recall my 2014 model having without making it too syrupy (a la the LCD-3).

9. FirstError
    That's interesting, I thought mine got a bit harsher with a more extended treble, it's almost too bright for my tastes now after the transition. It lost a bit of warmth, but I think the bass is smoother/cleaner than before, which is a plus. It makes me wonder if I should look more into the LCD-3/LCD-4, the LCD-X is very close to what I'm looking for but not quite there all together.

10. SomeGuyDude
    The X really does feel like a sort of "litmus test" for Audeze. From what I've been told, the 4 is more in line with the X, its bass not being as prominent, but if you think the X is too bright I would 100% think the 3 would be endgame for you.

FirstError likes this.
  11. FirstError
    That's my impression of the situation as well, I plan on auditioning both of those as much as I can and then seeing which one I like more. For me it's safe to say that while more resolving, the newest drivers for the LCD-X appear to have drifted even farther from the "warm" Audeze sound I was used to. From what I've read, the LCD-3 looks right up my alley, but the LCD-4's soundstage and supposedly superior bass response has me intrigued as well. Both should be a little bit less bright at any rate.

12. SomeGuyDude
    From what I've read, the 4 less bassy than the 3 because it's aiming for a slightly more "reference" tone. I'm almost getting the feeling that the 3 is the upgrade from the 2 and the 4 is for the X, though the MX4 is throwing a wrench into things with that.

13. ezekiel77
    Based on separate auditioning sessions, LCD-4 sounds like a direct upgrade to the X.

14. sahmen
    So is the X less bassy than the other audeze models? I wouldn't really know because I have only ever heard the X which I own, and no other Audeze models. By the way, I am perfectly pleased with the way my X sounds, and don't find the bass to be either lacking or overbearing for the types of music I like, but I am curious about how it shakes out with other models.

15. SomeGuyDude
    Correct. It's not lacking in bass by any stretch, it's just a little less bass tilted, and it's not a MASSIVE difference either. One of those things you notice if you spend time with them.

sahmen likes this.
First

Back
643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652
654 655 656 657
Next

Last