Audeze LCD-X
Jan 20, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #8,791 of 12,748
  LCD X vs Ether Flow vs HE1000 vs Elear for classical? 

What about electronic?

For classical, since you haven't mentioned 800/800S, I would say go for the LCD X. 
For electronic LCD X it is. That deep punchy bass works wonders for the genre.

If you can afford the HE1000, maybe you should also check the LCD 4 and Utopia.

Jan 20, 2017 at 9:58 PM Post #8,792 of 12,748
For classical, since you haven't mentioned 800/800S, I would say go for the LCD X. 

I agree the X is great for electronic and could be better for acoustic and classical.

The LCD-4 is a refined X, but still has the same signature as the X and thus is still eh for classical and acoustic.

If you're going to spend LCD-4 price, then go with the Utopia. It is much better and works with all genres.

Jan 22, 2017 at 8:31 PM Post #8,794 of 12,748
My X is out of commission for at least he next two weeks. Anyone in Europe fancy trying out a Q audio copper SE/ Silver dragon SE/Toxic virus balanced cable for a couple of weeks?

Which one has the best synergy to you?

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #8,795 of 12,748
Which one has the best synergy to you?

I originally bought the silver dragon for my - now sold - LCD2, which it was perfect for, though I find it a bit too sharp in some instances with the X, so it's no longer used.

Virus vs q audio - it's a tough one. I generally use the virus for most of my listening, as it does seem somewhat clearer/brighter. I do however keep going back to the q audio for when I want a fractionally darker/more forgiving sound, plus it's pretty.

In summery, for me, the silver dragon is a no no. The virus and Q are both great with the X, it just depends on what you're listening to.

They're all up for loan, so the option for you to make your own mind up is there :)

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:01 PM Post #8,796 of 12,748
Hello thanks for all the replies about the X compared to some other cans.

I want to clarify I definitely don't have the funds for an HE1000 or other uber-flagships these days. I just wanted to see how it compared to the X. 

I'm asking for a comparison to other cans listening to these two genres, electronic and classical, particularly the combination of the two. Found in artists such as Bing & Ruth or A Winged Victory for the Sullen. 

I love the X but I have to be honest it is really heavy, and I definitely wish it was lighter. So I'm wondering if the Elear or the Ether Flow might be a better fit. For bass-oriented electronic music, of course the special bass of the X would be gone. But I'm betting these other two have great bass, and honestly I'm not listening to much bass-focused music. 

Classical does sound fantastic through the X to me by the way. A major difference from the LCD-2. Although the 2 did have slightly more musical mids to me... which brings up final point, that I love Audeze because of the musicality. Would I give this up with a switch to the Flow or Elear?

Thank you

Jan 23, 2017 at 8:52 PM Post #8,797 of 12,748
They're all up for loan, so the option for you to make your own mind up is there
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks, I'm pretty partial to the Q Audio myself. Just wondering if there are better cables around. I live in Malaysia so the loan won't work since customs duties both ways would be killer.

I want to clarify I definitely don't have the funds for an HE1000 or other uber-flagships these days. I just wanted to see how it compared to the X. 

Thank you

There are a few HE1000 V1's in the classifieds in the $1500-1700 region.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #8,798 of 12,748

I'm asking for a comparison to other cans listening to these two genres, electronic and classical, particularly the combination of the two. Found in artists such as Bing & Ruth or A Winged Victory for the Sullen. 

I love the X but I have to be honest it is really heavy, and I definitely wish it was lighter. So I'm wondering if the Elear or the Ether Flow might be a better fit. For bass-oriented electronic music, of course the special bass of the X would be gone. But I'm betting these other two have great bass, and honestly I'm not listening to much bass-focused music. 

Classical does sound fantastic through the X to me by the way. A major difference from the LCD-2. Although the 2 did have slightly more musical mids to me... which brings up final point, that I love Audeze because of the musicality. Would I give this up with a switch to the Flow or Elear?

Thank you

The X is heavy yes, could you them with the carbon fibre headband? They improved a lot after I purchased them, doesn't reduce the weight but distributes them evenly. 

How about the Fostex TH 900 for electronic?

Jan 24, 2017 at 10:40 AM Post #8,799 of 12,748
  The X is heavy yes, could you them with the carbon fibre headband? They improved a lot after I purchased them, doesn't reduce the weight but distributes them evenly. 

How about the Fostex TH 900 for electronic?

What about something less fancy and cheaper like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001JEIHAG/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Jan 24, 2017 at 4:28 PM Post #8,801 of 12,748

Yeah does that work well with the LCDs? The carbon headband would be sweet but maaaaan... 200 bucks

No idea about this but you could also try the Lohb strap. Thats worked well with the XC.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audeze-Unofficial-Leather-Head-Comfort-Cushion-Pad-Strap-Audeze-LCD-series-/182415602934?hash=item2a78d134f6:g:uZEAAOSwZVlXud5O

Jan 24, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #8,802 of 12,748
  No idea about this but you could also try the Lohb strap. Thats worked well with the XC.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Audeze-Unofficial-Leather-Head-Comfort-Cushion-Pad-Strap-Audeze-LCD-series-/182415602934?hash=item2a78d134f6:g:uZEAAOSwZVlXud5O

It seems there's no picture of the strap placed on the LCD's, can you provide one?

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #8,803 of 12,748
Hi everyone.. I have a 2015 LCDX in perfect condition with the carbon fiber headband that I'll part with for 1150 shipped in the US. Figured I'd mention here before posting them in the FS forums. They haven't gotten much head time after getting the LCD4.

Jan 24, 2017 at 6:40 PM Post #8,805 of 12,748
I can testify that the carbon fiber headband from Audez'e makes a world of difference in the comfort.  I didn't mod it - so it's tight on the top of my head, but that doesn't bother me.  It made the X, for me, easily wearable for a few hours at a time.  Also improved the HP stability, when I move my head around now the cans stay put.  Made the overall X experience better.  The SQ wasn't changed :).

Cheers,
RCBinTN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back