Audeze LCD-X
Nov 5, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #721 of 12,748

I agree 100% since owning the LCD-2's and being tortured by the headband, the comfort of a headphone is now near the top of the list. I had resorted to placing some soft foam between the headband and my skull to be able to listen to them for more than an hour.  The weight of the headphone never bothered me, but it seemed like the headband contacted my skull exactly in one of those stitched creases where there is 0 padding at all.

I will say the vegan pads and headband were super plush and comfy, but I'm not sure how they hold up long term.

That's a fear of mine, I've wanted to go Audeze for awhile now but because I wear headphones for such long periods (and am used to such comfortable headphones), I don't know if I'll be able to stand them comfort-wise for long.

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #722 of 12,748

That's a fear of mine, I've wanted to go Audeze for awhile now but because I wear headphones for such long periods (and am used to such comfortable headphones), I don't know if I'll be able to stand them comfort-wise for long.

I wear my 3's for sometimes 5 hours at a time while I am sitting there studying and I tend to do just fine.  My ears become tired faster than my head.  

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #723 of 12,748

i just bought a cable from the fs forums. 
biggrin.gif

One step closer...

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #724 of 12,748
  I wear my 3's for sometimes 5 hours at a time while I am sitting there studying and I tend to do just fine.  My ears become tired faster than my head.  

I can wear them both in the same time and still without getting my neck tired :D :))

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM Post #725 of 12,748
At some point, depending on the person, the weight becomes a deal breaker with any hp. No matter how impressed, wowed, addicted to the sound signature you are, if the hp is not reasonable comfortable you'll pick up another instead. I've been down this road many many times before, most of us here have. 

You can add a headband pad for problems with pressure on the top of your head. You can bend and shape a headband for clamp issues. You can even change out pads for softer more comfortable versions. But when it comes to weight, it is what it is. You can take the most insane "mod anything" headfier and you just won't see him drilling holes in the lcd-x to reduce weight and increase comfort.  

Nov 5, 2013 at 6:46 PM Post #726 of 12,748
  At some point, depending on the person, the weight becomes a deal breaker with any hp. No matter how impressed, wowed, addicted to the sound signature you are, if the hp is not reasonable comfortable you'll pick up another instead. I've been down this road many many times before, most of us here have. 

You can add a headband pad for problems with pressure on the top of your head. You can bend and shape a headband for clamp issues. You can even change out pads for softer more comfortable versions. But when it comes to weight, it is what it is. You can take the most insane "mod anything" headfier and you just won't see him drilling holes in the lcd-x to reduce weight and increase comfort.  

Unless you mount brackets that offload the weight onto your shoulders!

The only bad thing is you can't move your head!

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #731 of 12,748
It seems that those comments about LCD-X being in the same league as SR-009 (or at least top five headphones ever) were completely untrue... I dont understand why people always start an insane hype train based on MEET IMPRESSIONS!? 
confused.gif
 It happens again and again (Alphas, K812 and LCD-x at the moment)...

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:24 PM Post #732 of 12,748
  It seems that those comments about LCD-X being in the same league as SR-009 (or at least top five headphones ever) were completely untrue... I dont understand why people always start an insane hype train based on MEET IMPRESSIONS!? 
confused.gif
 It happens again and again (Alphas, K812 and LCD-x at the moment)...

I'm guessing you're talking about my comments, if so, you're very much mis-interpereting them. And I did try to prevent any kind of hype train and tried as much as I could to convey that these fit my preferences the most, and were not the objective best.

it was my favorite at the show!

Of course, this is more of an opinion, it was far from the most accurate at the show, but it has a certain seductive quality that's nearly impossible to ignore.

I probably listened to it for longer than any other headphone at the meet, though that isn't truly long enough (I like to listen to headphones for a long time before forming a solid opinion).

The LCD-X was one of the least accurate of the high-end headphones I tried

I am more interested in the euphonic type sound, if you want a purely accurate setup, you probably won't like the LCD-X...but as far as my preferences go, the LCD-X hit every note the way I wanted it to.

I never said better, I said I preferred it to those other headphones. I rarely like to say things are truly "better", especially when comparing high-end headphones.

I still will say that I preferred the sound of the LCD-X to the sound of the SR-009, but that is *far* from saying that it was better than it in any way. I prefer the sound of the D7000 to the ESP-950, despite the fact that I think the 950 is more balanced, detailed, nuanced, faster, more natural, and more "audiophile".

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #733 of 12,748
Regarding the comfort factor,

From what I've experienced with my old LCD-2 as well as a LCD-3 I had for a week-long audition, the Audeze line seems more suited to larger (or should I say wider) skulls. My face/head is rather small and narrow, and I couldn't use either LCD for more than an hour at a time, vegan accessories or otherwise.

It's not the actual weight, but the way they clamp and spread that weight around in a cumulative fashion. Sort of like those authentic spicy Indian or Thai curries. At first you're like "oh, this ain't too bad", but give the spices time to linger and build up on your tongue and all of a sudden you're going "holy crap, I'm gonna die!!". Hits all the wrong pressure points.

Such a shame, since I really liked the sound signature of the LCD-2

Nov 5, 2013 at 7:30 PM Post #735 of 12,748

I'm guessing you're talking about my comments, if so, you're very much mis-interpereting them. And I did try to prevent any kind of hype train and tried as much as I could to convey that these fit my preferences the most, and were not the objective best.

I am talking about comments of about 3 people who EXTREMELY praised LCD-X as a revolutionary approach and a definite game-changer etc. etc.... Not really sure if you were one of those or not. :)

EDIT: I remember some people saying those LCD-X having one of the best soundstage ever, offering incredible detail, extremely flat frequency response and remarkable imaging beating even HD800... Like I said, I was expecting top 5 headphone ever, rivaling the very best (SR-009, Abyss etc.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back