Audeze LCD-MX4
Nov 24, 2017 at 5:06 PM Post #106 of 907
I'm slowly getting accustomed to them. I will do a little sound comparison in a few days with the Focal Clear. One thing I can mention they are extremely comfortable, and super easy to drive, I'm using them with the Chord Mojo and they are on level green in volume which is really low and they sound pretty sweet right now. They are brand new, I was told to give them a few days before they sound their best.
That's how it was with my Xs. Took a chance on them, not being able to audition them. Out of the box, I wasn't excited for the first listen. Wouldn't part with them now. Looking forward to your impressions.

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #107 of 907
Short impressions.

These things are freaking sweet. There is so much more to the track that I hear through the MX4 compared to the Focal Clear. And, I love that headphone. Yes, they are lighter, but tighter around my head (big head) but the pads on the MX4 are super comfortable and I think these might be lighter than say an LCD4 but they are still a little heavy for those with weak necks. These are like a man's headphone lol.

Bass - The bass is nice and tight and deep when called upon and never interfering with the other sections of a song. Love the bass.

Mids - These also sound really smooth to my ears. The headphone is a little laid back but I am enjoyng it quite a lot.

Highs - Can get a little bright and sharp but that may be due to the music having really sharp sounding highs in the track, and I may still need to burn these in a little bit. I think it will change for the better.

Soundstage - It sounds really good, just as good as the Clear and maybe better. There is great instrument separation in the MX4 everything is played all around your head... I get quite lost in relaxing music.

I really love these so far. I think I might jump ship from the Clear because I feel like these are more special sounding to my ears. The Clear seems like a nice jump to the sound i want and these are a larger step.

Nov 26, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #109 of 907
Short impressions.

These things are freaking sweet. There is so much more to the track that I hear through the MX4 compared to the Focal Clear. And, I love that headphone. Yes, they are lighter, but tighter around my head (big head) but the pads on the MX4 are super comfortable and I think these might be lighter than say an LCD4 but they are still a little heavy for those with weak necks. These are like a man's headphone lol.

Bass - The bass is nice and tight and deep when called upon and never interfering with the other sections of a song. Love the bass.

Mids - These also sound really smooth to my ears. The headphone is a little laid back but I am enjoyng it quite a lot.

Highs - Can get a little bright and sharp but that may be due to the music having really sharp sounding highs in the track, and I may still need to burn these in a little bit. I think it will change for the better.

Soundstage - It sounds really good, just as good as the Clear and maybe better. There is great instrument separation in the MX4 everything is played all around your head... I get quite lost in relaxing music.

I really love these so far. I think I might jump ship from the Clear because I feel like these are more special sounding to my ears. The Clear seems like a nice jump to the sound i want and these are a larger step.
Sounds positive. I don't mind a bit of highs; easier to tame them than forcing them when they're not there.

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #110 of 907
Here you have a simple video unboxing from internet.

Nice look :wink:

This video is stolen from the source av. Pretty messed up on that person stealing someone else's work.

Nov 26, 2017 at 12:55 PM Post #111 of 907
This video is stolen from the source av. Pretty messed up on that person stealing someone else's work.

Thx Pete but it’s not the first time any of our work product was used without authorization. We find our theater pictures on so called “ home theater installer “ web sites all the time

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 26, 2017 at 1:03 PM Post #112 of 907
Thx Pete but it’s not the first time any of our work product was used without authorization. We find our theater pictures on so called “ home theater installer “ web sites all the time
That's some bs right there, and laziness.

Nov 26, 2017 at 1:30 PM Post #114 of 907
So sorry!
It was not my intention to spread a non authorized video. If you prefer I can delete the post. Let me know

We’ll find a way to convince TSAVAlan that its flattering when you get your work product stolen:) ....don’t worry about it, it’s not that big of a deal.

It would have been nicer if the user of our box opening acknowledged it was our video but such is life.

The Source AV TSAVJason Stay updated on The Source AV at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com./pages/The-Source-AV-Design-Group/153623164648713 http://www.twitter.com/TheSourceAV http://www.instagram.com/Thesourceavdesign http://thesourceav.com/ Products@TheSourceAV.com
Nov 26, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #115 of 907
We’ll find a way to convince TSAVAlan that its flattering when you get your work product stolen:) ....don’t worry about it, it’s not that big of a deal.

It would have been nicer if the user of our box opening acknowledged it was our video but such is life.
I told Alan about it over a week ago. He said it's to much of a pain in the ass reporting it. Unfortunate.

Nov 26, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #117 of 907
20171126_145751.jpg
Shoot out! ... It's going down. Lol the Audeze is leading.

The separation is much, much, better on the MX4. The placement of the sounds is in different sports on both headphones, and the MX4 the placement is wider. The Clear seems to separate the sounds but places them more on a soundstage for height and the MX4 is placed on width.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2017 at 11:39 PM Post #118 of 907
Felt a bit weird that my little unboxing video get reuploaded considering our YouTube channel is so recent. Talked to a reviewer friend who had this happen a few times and he gave me a few suggestions for the future.

But glad to see some more impressions on the mx4, been trying to get some more listening lately on it as well.

Nov 27, 2017 at 2:23 AM Post #119 of 907
I find the development of the MX4 fascinating and applaud the team at Audeze for the innovation (Roon/VST plugins; LCD-i4 etc) that's coming out of Audeze HQ. I've been looking for a headphone to complement the forward and dynamic nature of my Abyss 1266's. I was looking at a pair of LCD-i4's to partner with my Hugo-2 for my office setup but may well go down the path of MX4's. Don't suppose anyone has had a chance to listen to the MX4's vs LCD-i4's?

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:17 AM Post #120 of 907
I have had the chance to listen to the MX4 today at a local shop. It was paired with thr Chord Dave and WA33.
Please do not take my impressions as what you would expect to hear if you were to try it yourself, as with all opinions out there.

Lets start with comfort, well built and comfortable, much better than the hot spot that one might experience with the regular Audeze headband. This level od comfort should be expected of premium headphones. The clamp is rather tight; but no major issues.

In general, not a positive sonic experience.
Bass was relatively well presented,Extended well, reaches deep. There is a mid bass hump that i could hear that could bother people, depending on one's preferences. Bass not was not particularly textured, but no major issues.

Mids were a flop for me, incredibly stifling and conjested.Very forward presentation of mids that gets in the way of enjoying the piece. It had a nasal tonality to it, like the vocalist had a blocked nose or some cloth was draped over speakers. Nils Lofgren's live album made this aspect particularly present. Although nasal, the mids shared similar characteristics with the 4, being buttery smooth, but its unnaturally in-your-face, muffled tonality killed it for me. Some may like agressive, forward mids so have a listen for yourself.

Highs was recessed with the lack of transparency. Cymbals do not shimmer, it decayed too quickly. Horns, violins, drums etc. do not capture the acoustics of the performance. Classical music sounded like it was recorded in a claustrophobic studio, lost were the natural reverberation of a concert hall. Perhaps it was the WA33 that the highs do not perform well.

Dynamics was one of the weakest aspects on this headphone, weak impact, with notes hitting like a pillow.
Being one of my top priorities for choosing headphones, the lack of dynamics hindered the enjoyment of music greatly. Bach's Solo violin tracks were used to assess microdynamics. MX4 was not able to capture small gradations in volume in quiet sections that many dynamic headphones are capable of (HD650 modded, HD800SDR). Macrodynamics were decent, large swings in volume were audible, but no where near HD800 levels. IMO dynamics are make or break for me. Large dynamic range is what differentiates a good recording from a bad one, MP3 from good SACD recordings, monotonous pieces or music that comes alive.

Soundstage was a miss, instruments were Conjested and closed in. ZMF Eikon, a closed headphone, was better able to present space and stage. Imaging was a blur, as with most planars I have heard. HE1000 and Susvara had better imaging capabilities.

Clarity was sub par. I had to dig deep and increase the volume to hear subtle details. People may like the MX4's soft and slick tonal balance, but at this price range, i cannot recommend a headphone with this level of detail retrieval. I had to struggle to hear the feet tapping in The Bucky Pizzarelli Trio's live album, while the ZMF Auteur and HD800 presents detail with ease without having to reach for the volume knob. Intruementalists in jazz quartets making small talk were smeared/inaudible with the MX4.

My short two hour listening session with the MX4 did not engage me. I was eager to get from one test track/album to the next. When I am rushing though tracks, that is when I know that the headphone or *insert gear here* was not the one.

To conclude, some may love the audeze house sound, and do not take these issues i have described a major problem. But to me, MX4 was a fail, and its older brother LCD4 did it better.

Before any MX4 owners flame me, let me say that I am only giving my own view of the headphone, not sugar coat it or rub egos. If you do truly like the MX4, you would'nt feel insecure and lash out. After all, music, as with wine tasting, your own experience matters most.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back