Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 23, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #4,156 of 4,795
Really. They need to figure out the proper form factor and fitment. The ear hooks are an annoyance everyone could avoid if it was designed like a standard iem with memory wire or similar bendy silicone over the ear.
I stopped using the ear hooks awhile ago even though using the plastic tubing slipped over them made them much more comfortable. I use the new style earfins and I forget I’m wearing them.

Dec 27, 2021 at 1:44 AM Post #4,158 of 4,795
For those who don’t have cipher and yet want very good sound while on road, just get Qudelix 5000 USB/BT DACAMP. It does a very good job for its price and size.

Dec 27, 2021 at 5:23 AM Post #4,160 of 4,795
I picked the LCDi4 up early 2020 after reading up this entire thread. Given fit was recently brought back up I thought I'd share the solution I came up with which has been working perfectly for me on the fit (comfortable to wear 8hrs a day and can shake my head and they will not come out of my ears!). Although, it is highly dependent on one's ear anatomy and how far in one's ear one wants these.

I used Radians Custom Molded Earplugs to make myself a set of custom ear fins. Before starting the process of making the molds I decided if I wanted to use ear tips or not to achieve the positioning I wanted in my ear canal (for me I choose to forgo ear tips). I then found where, without tips, wings, or hooks I wanted them to be positioned. I took a mental note of what that looked like from the outside as I would have to replicate this position later when making the mold. I then taped the tip of the LCDi4 and followed the instructions to make the ear plugs. Once I had finished putting the molding mix in my ears I push the uncabled and taped LCDi4 into the still fresh mold in my ears and let them set.
It's a bit tricky to get the right position in one go so I made a second set and got it as good as I could make them (see pics attached).

Having a proof of concept in hand I set out to contact ADV sound (who make custom ear tips) and Audeze to see if I could get some custom ear fins made. ADV was not willing to position the IEM as deep as needed to provide a more secure fit than the ear hooks. Audeze consulted internally for sometime if they would be able to provide such a service even at a higher cost. Ultimately they said no given they had manufacturing concerns for the thin areas of my molds. However, the molds I made are plenty good and I have used them for almost a year now with not problems.

20210311_163046.jpg

20210808_162619.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2021 at 8:04 PM Post #4,161 of 4,795
I stopped using the ear hooks awhile ago even though using the plastic tubing slipped over them made them much more comfortable. I use the new style earfins and I forget I’m wearing them.

I wished the earfins worked for me. I think my concha is too large and those aren't snug enough on me and end up drooping from the weight of the cable.

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:19 PM Post #4,162 of 4,795
I wished the earfins worked for me. I think my concha is too large and those aren't snug enough on me and end up drooping from the weight of the cable.
It took me awhile to get the knack of locking the earfin into the fold of cartridge in my ear. But I agree with the general sentiment that both the earhooks and fins were quirky solutions which hopefully will be replaced by a better solution should Audeze do some sort of LCDi5.

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #4,163 of 4,795
For me 1 ear fin worked. The right side had nothing to latch onto.

In terms of ear fins Bose has the absolutely best fit, however their design is patented/copyrighted so it’s never going to go anywhere outside of Bose stuff.

Jan 4, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #4,165 of 4,795
Anyone know where I can get a cheap cable for the LCD-i4? Looking for something with 4.4mm termination or 3.5mm.
Amazon, Aliexpress, ebay under $50.
Impact cables for custom and a bit more.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:05 AM Post #4,166 of 4,795
Jan 7, 2022 at 6:34 PM Post #4,168 of 4,795
I picked the LCDi4 up early 2020 after reading up this entire thread. Given fit was recently brought back up I thought I'd share the solution I came up with which has been working perfectly for me on the fit (comfortable to wear 8hrs a day and can shake my head and they will not come out of my ears!). Although, it is highly dependent on one's ear anatomy and how far in one's ear one wants these.

I used Radians Custom Molded Earplugs to make myself a set of custom ear fins. Before starting the process of making the molds I decided if I wanted to use ear tips or not to achieve the positioning I wanted in my ear canal (for me I choose to forgo ear tips). I then found where, without tips, wings, or hooks I wanted them to be positioned. I took a mental note of what that looked like from the outside as I would have to replicate this position later when making the mold. I then taped the tip of the LCDi4 and followed the instructions to make the ear plugs. Once I had finished putting the molding mix in my ears I push the uncabled and taped LCDi4 into the still fresh mold in my ears and let them set.
It's a bit tricky to get the right position in one go so I made a second set and got it as good as I could make them (see pics attached).

Having a proof of concept in hand I set out to contact ADV sound (who make custom ear tips) and Audeze to see if I could get some custom ear fins made. ADV was not willing to position the IEM as deep as needed to provide a more secure fit than the ear hooks. Audeze consulted internally for sometime if they would be able to provide such a service even at a higher cost. Ultimately they said no given they had manufacturing concerns for the thin areas of my molds. However, the molds I made are plenty good and I have used them for almost a year now with not problems.

20210311_163046.jpg
20210808_162619.jpg
I've tried unsuccessfully do do this in the past because the silicone would always break in the thin parts after awhile. I imagine that this 'tipless' coupling would radically alter the tonality?

Jan 7, 2022 at 6:38 PM Post #4,169 of 4,795
For those who don’t have cipher and yet want very good sound while on road, just get Qudelix 5000 USB/BT DACAMP. It does a very good job for its price and size.
I recently got a Qudelix 5K and absolutely love it. The software interface in particular is wonderful, especially how it handles EQ preset management. It's biggest problem is that it's frequently sold out (at least here in Canada).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back