Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Mar 4, 2021 at 10:06 PM Post #3,811 of 4,795
I looked for quite a while to see if I could find a DAP that had good EQ that would work with streaming Tidal or Qobuz. I wasn't able to find a solution that worked for me. I did see a couple things about some system wide EQ solutions, but as I recall they required rooting Android and I didn't want to do that. I've also seen that Universal Audio Player Pro supports Tidal and Qobuz, and as well has very good EQ. But, for me the main use of a DAP is travel, so streaming wasn't really important on a DAP.

I ended up with an iBasso DX220, which has good EQ built in. I did install UAPP and that works quite well, but I prefer the UI of the built in software. I also have a HiBy DAP, the MSEB equalization didn't work for me to adjust to a specific EQ curve. I did look at numerous other DAPs, but PMEQ and good reviews narrowed my choice to the iBasso.

For home use I'm sold on Roon, the Audeze integration is great. I have a dedicated DAC and amp, though I can use my iBasso as a endpoint for Roon via USB. When using a DAP with Roon the DSP is done in Roon, quality of EQ on the DAP isn't a concern. However, iBasso does not charge from the USB connection when using as a DAC, which is really unfortunate and is basically unusable for me. Other DAPs may not have this limitation.

From what I've read, the Hugo2 is really perfect for the i4s, if it were me I'd use a Roon set up to drive the Hugo2. For me only real reason to have a DAP is travel, with a consideration that if I'm limited to 1 DAC/AMP device I'd try to find a DAP that works for both home and travel.
Great intel. So the DX220 has system wide EQ (including with Tidal?) ? Do you know if this is true for the entire iBasso DX line? (DX300etc).

Mar 5, 2021 at 12:29 AM Post #3,812 of 4,795
Great intel. So the DX220 has system wide EQ (including with Tidal?) ? Do you know if this is true for the entire iBasso DX line? (DX300etc).
Sorry, I wasn't quite clear . . . EQ (10 band and PEQ) is built in to their Mango app, I have not found an Android DAP that has system wide. And I wanted PEQ, which is what narrowed my choice to the 220, along with the swappable amps.

Mar 11, 2021 at 4:48 PM Post #3,813 of 4,795
Hi everyone!
Does anyone have any experience with LCDi4 and Aune X7s headphone amp?
I have Aune X8 DAC, it has custom coded FPGA as Chord products, I really like this DAC and am planning to buy Aune headphone amp as well, but would like to get some feedback first

Mar 23, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #3,814 of 4,795
Sanity Check,

Hello all, New Lcd-i4 owner here. Just wondering if any original owners, you bought them when new, could take a multimeter reading of their lcd-i4s, using the standard cable is ok. I measure 24ohm per side, I bought them used B-stock. Just making sure everything is kosher.

Thanks,

Will

Mar 24, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #3,816 of 4,795
One more owner of those small beasts :)
Have only tried them with the cipher cable so far. Really like the sound :) used the Eikons before so quite a difference in size lol.
Will compare cipher with mojo and maybe try monolith portable as well.
2021_0323_17174600~2.jpg

Mar 24, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #3,817 of 4,795
One more owner of those small beasts :)
Have only tried them with the cipher cable so far. Really like the sound :) used the Eikons before so quite a difference in size lol.
Will compare cipher with mojo and maybe try monolith portable as well.
2021_0323_17174600~2.jpg
I own both MOJO and Monolith portable. MOJO definitely a better DAC, but for portable use, and needing eq, the Monolith portable gave me the better overall presentation with the i4, until I got a Sony zx507 dap.

Mar 24, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #3,818 of 4,795
Thanks Guys,

Yeah right out of the box I used the multimeter and they were so far from spec I thought something might be wrong. I listened to them extensively and they are amazing. Certainly a step up from my lcd-i3s. They do need the correct eq. The one I had set up for my i3s in their lightning cable worked fine but these have more bass. The soundstage and OOYH experience is quite something!

Mar 24, 2021 at 1:48 PM Post #3,819 of 4,795
Sanity Check,

Hello all, New Lcd-i4 owner here. Just wondering if any original owners, you bought them when new, could take a multimeter reading of their lcd-i4s, using the standard cable is ok. I measure 24ohm per side, I bought them used B-stock. Just making sure everything is kosher.

Thanks,

Will
Where did you buy them B-stock?

Mar 25, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #3,820 of 4,795
Thanks Guys,

Yeah right out of the box I used the multimeter and they were so far from spec I thought something might be wrong. I listened to them extensively and they are amazing. Certainly a step up from my lcd-i3s. They do need the correct eq. The one I had set up for my i3s in their lightning cable worked fine but these have more bass. The soundstage and OOYH experience is quite something!
Welcome to the club!

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #3,823 of 4,795
What eartips do you guys use? I've been using spinfit for about a year now while they fit nicely they have been falling out of the nozzle every few hours.
What other aftermarket tips are there?
I don't know if this something you want to do, but I take the ear tip out and put heat shrink over the tube section. I heat it until it's snug. Then I push it back over the nozzle and it stays tight. Every 4-5 months I find I have to take it off and reheat the heat shrink. It works through with whatever is your favorite eartip.

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:54 AM Post #3,824 of 4,795
I don't know if this something you want to do, but I take the ear tip out and put heat shrink over the tube section. I heat it until it's snug. Then I push it back over the nozzle and it stays tight. Every 4-5 months I find I have to take it off and reheat the heat shrink. It works through with whatever is your favorite eartip.
that's actually a genius idea, I will have to try that out ty. I tried to use electrical tape but it wasn't tight enough and zip tie was too thick, heatshrink would probably work great.

wish the nozzle had some grooves to grip the eartips better..

Apr 3, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #3,825 of 4,795
I. Am. Not. Crazy.
4846BFA3-AC74-4615-8A0C-4CA629C66659.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back