Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jun 8, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #3,496 of 4,791
Hi guys I am a new owner of the lcd i4s, coming from the i3s, isine 20s. My current setup is Lotoo Paw Gold Touch > Cipher i3/i4 > LCD i4 and testing them with IU's "Love Poem" album. I was scared that like the i3s, I will have to even add more EQ on top of the cipher, but oh am I so wrong. This setup made me not think about the gear I'm hearing, but actually just get lost into the music. I have not experienced the immediate happiness for a long while now; not from the SE 846, Focal Clear, HD 6XX, and a whole plethora of other iem/headphones from the start of my hobby...the last time was with the Angie and Andromeda.

So do I still have the i3s? Yes. Do I regret buying the i3s first then not even a whole month passed, already placed an order for the i4s? Nope. Having the chance to listen to the i3s and experience the process involved to get it to sing, it made me appreciate how effortless the i4 is.

Thanks Audeze, I fell in love again. :)

Jun 10, 2020 at 4:44 AM Post #3,498 of 4,791
I am a little confused right now and maybe I need some guidance as a newish iem guy. I just got my i4's, was beyond, literally beyooooond excited. Popped them in to my Fiio M11 Pro and started to mess around and started to hear some like MIND MIIIIIIIND blowing highs, meh ish quiet mids, and super tight punchy but almost silent tinny sounding base? started messing with tips and hooks and dialed all of that in as good as I could get them, definitely improved things, and then tried my Magni/Modi combo with them (actually like my m11 pro better for some reason), same thing going on. These have highs that make me want to cry with joy, especially during songs like chandelier, but my air pod pros seem to have more mids and lows somehow? Hell quite a few of my other mid range headphones seem to be more full. Over all it just seems like, dry I guess? Not luscious and deep and rich? Am I even using the right terms? Then I pop these babies into my ancient Iphone 7 plus with the cipher cable and good screwing lord baby jesus it all evens out. Those soul chilling highs are gone but there is base and mid range. Is there any way to get the best of both worlds? Gun to my Iem's grills I would keep those highs because I have never heard anything so beautiful in my life, but is there a way to get the best of both worlds?

Also just wanted to add that all of my music is CD quality or better, and that I have heard of the plug in... but I mainly use my M11 pro for music and am pretty sure that I cannot get it on a DAP. Would love to know how to get it onto my laptop but I honestly have no idea where to start for a free player of some kind to add the plug in to, however that is accomplished.

Honestly worst case I just will enjoy the heck out of the highs on these and play with the local eq until I find one someone has posted that I like I guess.

Good god the vocals on this make it worth it regardless.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:16 AM Post #3,499 of 4,791
I am a little confused right now and maybe I need some guidance as a newish iem guy. I just got my i4's, was beyond, literally beyooooond excited. Popped them in to my Fiio M11 Pro and started to mess around and started to hear some like MIND MIIIIIIIND blowing highs, meh ish quiet mids, and super tight punchy but almost silent tinny sounding base? started messing with tips and hooks and dialed all of that in as good as I could get them, definitely improved things, and then tried my Magni/Modi combo with them (actually like my m11 pro better for some reason), same thing going on. These have highs that make me want to cry with joy, especially during songs like chandelier, but my air pod pros seem to have more mids and lows somehow? Hell quite a few of my other mid range headphones seem to be more full. Over all it just seems like, dry I guess? Not luscious and deep and rich? Am I even using the right terms? Then I pop these babies into my ancient Iphone 7 plus with the cipher cable and good screwing lord baby jesus it all evens out. Those soul chilling highs are gone but there is base and mid range. Is there any way to get the best of both worlds? Gun to my Iem's grills I would keep those highs because I have never heard anything so beautiful in my life, but is there a way to get the best of both worlds?

Also just wanted to add that all of my music is CD quality or better, and that I have heard of the plug in... but I mainly use my M11 pro for music and am pretty sure that I cannot get it on a DAP. Would love to know how to get it onto my laptop but I honestly have no idea where to start for a free player of some kind to add the plug in to, however that is accomplished.

Honestly worst case I just will enjoy the heck out of the highs on these and play with the local eq until I find one someone has posted that I like I guess.

There is an audeze app with EQ that mimic the DAC in the cipher cable so yes, you can have the cipher cable sound with your fiio. Or use your own eq

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:29 AM Post #3,500 of 4,791

You've invested in the i4s and have heard something of what they can do. Don't settle for sub-optimum sound. You can have it all. You owe it to yourself and to the i4s to get it sorted out.

You took the right first step adjusting the hooks and tips. Adding EQ, without understanding how placement affects frequency response, is only fixing a problem with another problem. I would bet that you still have room to tune your tips and positioning. I would keep working at it even after you add EQ, which is the next stop.

The iPhone and cipher cable is great as a quick and dirty portable solution; that's it. Match your i4s to the best DAC/amp you can. What eternal wrote above is right. Get the free Audeze Reveal plugin, and set that up in a music player app that has plugin support like Audirvana. It has convolution correction for the i4s that is in the cipher able. You can mix the amount of the effect to taste.

Best of luck.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:49 AM Post #3,501 of 4,791
You've invested in the i4s and have heard something of what they can do. Don't settle for sub-optimum sound. You can have it all. You owe it to yourself and to the i4s to get it sorted out.

You took the right first step adjusting the hooks and tips. Adding EQ, without understanding how placement affects frequency response, is only fixing a problem with another problem. I would bet that you still have room to tune your tips and positioning. I would keep working at it even after you add EQ, which is the next stop.

The iPhone and cipher cable is great as a quick and dirty portable solution; that's it. Match your i4s to the best DAC/amp you can. What eternal wrote above is right. Get the free Audeze Reveal plugin, and set that up in a music player app that has plugin support like Audirvana. It has convolution correction for the i4s that is in the cipher able. You can mix the amount of the effect to taste.

Best of luck.

I just downloaded the plug in and Audirvana, any idea how to get the plug in working within the program? Google is being very unhelpful

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #3,502 of 4,791
Hi guys I am a new owner of the lcd i4s, coming from the i3s, isine 20s. My current setup is Lotoo Paw Gold Touch > Cipher i3/i4 > LCD i4 and testing them with IU's "Love Poem" album. I was scared that like the i3s, I will have to even add more EQ on top of the cipher, but oh am I so wrong. This setup made me not think about the gear I'm hearing, but actually just get lost into the music. I have not experienced the immediate happiness for a long while now; not from the SE 846, Focal Clear, HD 6XX, and a whole plethora of other iem/headphones from the start of my hobby...the last time was with the Angie and Andromeda.

So do I still have the i3s? Yes. Do I regret buying the i3s first then not even a whole month passed, already placed an order for the i4s? Nope. Having the chance to listen to the i3s and experience the process involved to get it to sing, it made me appreciate how effortless the i4 is.

Thanks Audeze, I fell in love again. :)

I love all Audeze In-Ear! Got it all! And no one would ever leave.

If you're interested, I can give you more info on setup and comparison!

i4 is of course Top of Hifi! Just balanced with iCan a dream!

IMG_0168.jpeg

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:44 AM Post #3,503 of 4,791
I love all Audeze In-Ear! Got it all! And no one would ever leave.

If you're interested, I can give you more info on setup and comparison!

i4 is of course Top of Hifi! Just balanced with iCan a dream!

IMG_0168.jpeg

You have both the i3 and i4, interesting. I've heard the iSine but not the i3. I'm wondering if it is something I can recommend to people who are looking at the i4 but balk at spending so much money. Can you share a bit of your impression between the i3 and i4?

Jun 10, 2020 at 6:59 AM Post #3,504 of 4,791

Best of luck.

I figured it out, and thank you again for the help! Audirvana is an amazing app I just bought the full version! The plug in completely fixed the I4's from my computer, I love this community and all of the support!

Jun 10, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #3,505 of 4,791
You have both the i3 and i4, interesting. I've heard the iSine but not the i3. I'm wondering if it is something I can recommend to people who are looking at the i4 but balk at spending so much money. Can you share a bit of your impression between the i3 and i4?

First of all, I've only had the i3 for 2 hours and have tried it with Cipher V2, Dragonfly and iCan balanced.

The result is as expected.

It depends on how you want to use them.

i4: Yes that is a special house number. For me a stationary replacement for an over-ear in the range of 3-5TUSD. He can easily keep up with that, if not even better. But the i4 needs power and should be operated in balanced mode to reach its full potential. There's an awful lot in the i4, but you have to get it out. For me it is not a mobile phone, it's just not fun, it's average. It works, you can handle the volume, but the quality is far below its potential. It needs good, high quality, powerful amplifiers, then there's nothing better and Audeze has really set the bar extremely high for in-ear. As I said, for me a replacement for e.g. an LCD-4. i4 doesn't need any EQ settings, for me it's perfectly tuned in neutral position. Especially with the iCan in tube mode it is a dream come true. I don't know what more you can do with it. With the Cipher, as I said, it works. But it simply needs too much power and the cipher doesn't provide that. Nor does a Dragonfly or any other weak mobile amplifier. It is missing in the bass, in the power, in the openness and width, then it is just a "normal" in-ear. Therefore I don't recommend it for mobile. It is the connoisseur at home and a replacement for steel helmet headphones!

i3: ordered it as an upgrade for my iSine. It sounds great with Cipher. It has absolutely enough power, because it doesn't need much, basses are powerful, cleaner and deeper than the iSine. Mids, highs, excellent. Not poisonous, nothing. Velvety like the iSine. Clear upgrade and fully recommended. Also compared it quickly with the iCan balanced before. Yes day and night to the i4. It can't keep up with that by far! Rather a disappointment. Audeze just can't get the iSine and the i3 to be neutral and clean. He clearly needs EQ. I haven't tried that yet. Basses rather reserved, not the depth and cleanliness of the i4, mids are almost completely missing and the highs much too strong, much too garish, really toxic. Definitely no fun. Well, with the iCan it's also like shooting sparrows with cannons! Totally exaggerated by the performance. It has a balanced 14 Watt! But like I said, with the Cipher it's absolutely perfect! Fully satisfied and actually exactly what I expected. I will only use it via cipher and iPhone. Also not optimal with the Dragonfly, the mid and high frequencies are missing toxicly. Via DSP and Cipher it is corrected and fits. I was fully aware of this when I ordered it, so no negative surprise. But as a stationary listener at the amp definitely NO. Or you would have to try a long time with the EQ until it fits. I'll give it a try.

iSine20: is the predecessor of the i3. He's more the tough guy. For me, it's the fun listener! Not high-end, which is definitely the i3 with cipher.

Conclusion: the i3 is definitely not a replacement for the i4 or an alternative. No, it is a completely different headphone for a different application. The i4 is perfect for stationary use with extremely high quality amplifiers. It doesn't unfold its potential in mobile use, so the i3 is definitely a better choice and you can confidently save the money for the i4 and take the cheaper one. But if you want absolute high end and replacement of a very expensive overear, the i4 is perfect! Especially a beautiful opera, a classical concert with the i4, there is no more increase. But what a pity, Audeze couldn't get a neutral tuning with i3 either! Then it would indeed be a cheaper alternative to the i4. But it seems that this was deliberately not wanted in order to sell the expensive i4!

Will write more later when I have tested the i3 further. But as mentioned, I got what I expected due to many recessions!

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #3,507 of 4,791
It needs eq if you want (you likely will) , but it definitely doesn't need power.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:10 PM Post #3,508 of 4,791
It needs eq for sure, but it definitely doesn't need power.

Yes everyone sees it differently, that's good, that's why you can buy so many different beautiful things! :beerchug:

Jun 10, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #3,509 of 4,791
If you want clean mobile power for the lcd-i4 the E1da 9038s has 340mw @32. Lots of current with no need for desktop power.

It has such an undistorted bass image, that some if my iems feel like they have less bass compared to my other sources.

Works great, but you need a 4.4mm to 2.5mm adapter.

It will keep a clean transparent setup like what I imagine your desktop setup without the need for extreme power.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #3,510 of 4,791
It needs eq if you want (you likely will) , but it definitely doesn't need power.
I mean it kinda needs power? It’s a planar after all and more power can definitely bring out its full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back