Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:43 AM Post #3,362 of 4,795
you can check using audeze app on your iOS device. It will detect automatically whether the cable is for i4 or iSines. However, the app doesn’t work if you connect to an iPad Pro using usb-c to female lightning adapter.

What audeze app? because the equalizer app only works with the cipher cable. I am asking about the BT, not the cable

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2020 at 10:54 AM Post #3,363 of 4,795
it happened to me too. just let them know and they’ll send the correct one.

Hope so too. The first email I got wasn’t promising though.

Apr 3, 2020 at 10:56 AM Post #3,364 of 4,795
Wow Audeze are now completely ignoring my emails. Just brilliant...

The chap at the UK distributors asked me to reach out to Audeze directly to request that the correct cable gets sent too.

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:51 PM Post #3,365 of 4,795
call them, I deal with a gentleman called chris....he is terrific, helpful and knowledgeable

Apr 3, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #3,366 of 4,795
call them, I deal with a gentleman called chris....he is terrific, helpful and knowledgeable
I've also had quick responses with audeze. Specifically Jimmy

Apr 3, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #3,368 of 4,795
Unfortunately, international shipping is a little bit complicated now because we were forced to stop normal operation two weeks ago. We still do some shipping and delays are inevitable nowadays.
I realise that. The only cusp I had was after payment I got an unfulfilled order status. I wasn't sure if there was something I needed to do. But I've had confirmation now and whilst the scattering of curiour is very much explicit, I feel relaxed that there is progress. So thank you for the effort audeze has done.

Apr 4, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #3,369 of 4,795
Wow Audeze are now completely ignoring my emails. Just brilliant...

The chap at the UK distributors asked me to reach out to Audeze directly to request that the correct cable gets sent too.

I have also been liaising with Jimmy- great chap! Apparently the delay in getting back to me was him waiting to get the go ahead from his manager.

I am being sent the correct cable, hopefully won’t take foreverjn light of the current environment.

Apr 4, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #3,370 of 4,795
Using Equalizer APO (open source system EQ for Windows), I was able to see the EQ curve for the Reveal plugin as I change the dry/wet amount. To my ears, I like 80% wet. Going from wet to dry, I see the EQ curve decreasing the low end and upper mids while increasing the lower treble. I tried to replicate the PEQ curve at 80% wet to my WM1z which only has a basic EQ and here is what I came up with:

31 : +3
62 : +2
125 : +1
250 : -0.5
500 : -1
1K : -1.5
2K : +3
4K : +3
8K : -2
16K : 0

This sounds close to what I hear from the Reveal plugin. From 1K and down, it's really close. Unfortunately, the Reveal plugin has a major peak at 3K (+6dB) which my WM1z cannot support. The only option is to increase both 2K and 4K and average out, but it will never reach the same level and will also unintentionally lift both 2K and 4K frequencies which are both flat on the Reveal plugin. The result is decent but does not have quite the separation and richness of the vocal range that the plugin provides. If your DAP has a PEQ, it will be able to match the plugin as long as you have tool that can graphically show the curve.

Other WM1z specific settings - 4.4mm high output, DC Phase - Low Type A

Overall, the combo of EQ'd WM1z and LCD i4 sounds great and it's so much easier using this as a portable versus dragging my Utopia around.

Apr 4, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #3,371 of 4,795
Using Equalizer APO (open source system EQ for Windows), I was able to see the EQ curve for the Reveal plugin as I change the dry/wet amount. To my ears, I like 80% wet. Going from wet to dry, I see the EQ curve decreasing the low end and upper mids while increasing the lower treble. I tried to replicate the PEQ curve at 80% wet to my WM1z which only has a basic EQ and here is what I came up with:

31 : +3
62 : +2
125 : +1
250 : -0.5
500 : -1
1K : -1.5
2K : +3
4K : +3
8K : -2
16K : 0

This sounds close to what I hear from the Reveal plugin. From 1K and down, it's really close. Unfortunately, the Reveal plugin has a major peak at 3K (+6dB) which my WM1z cannot support. The only option is to increase both 2K and 4K and average out, but it will never reach the same level and will also unintentionally lift both 2K and 4K frequencies which are both flat on the Reveal plugin. The result is decent but does not have quite the separation and richness of the vocal range that the plugin provides. If your DAP has a PEQ, it will be able to match the plugin as long as you have tool that can graphically show the curve.

Other WM1z specific settings - 4.4mm high output, DC Phase - Low Type A

Overall, the combo of EQ'd WM1z and LCD i4 sounds great and it's so much easier using this as a portable versus dragging my Utopia around.

Thank you for sharing. I also own the LCDi4 and a Utopia:p

Apr 5, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #3,372 of 4,795
Playing around with fit, I personally like the silicon wings instead of ear hooks because I wear eyeglasses. I think the trick to the wings is to get enough grip from the ear tips so the wings don't support the majority of the weight or else your lower ear may start to fatigue. At least for my ears, I had to find a way for the nozzles to firmly hold on the outer part of the ear canal - more like and ear bud, less like IEM. After trying stock tips, I tried some JVC Spiral tips that I had and now prefer JVC. I had to go one size larger than normal since the nozzles don't go very deep into the canal. The JVC tips are shorter than stock so grip better for my ears. With stock tips the ear pieces tilt more away from my head and feel like they become more loose over time. It takes a little effort to put the JVC tips on because the nozzles are larger in diameter so you have to stretch a bit but once on, it is a tight fit which is important since there is no lip on the nozzle to hold onto the tips. I also hear less crinkling with JVC as I adjust fit.

BTW, anyone know if I can/should use an IEM vacuum the clean the nozzles?

Also tried out the Cipher cable more today and really impressed. A couple thoughts and notes:

• Definitely get the Audeze HQ app to fine tune the EQ unless you like the default 100% wet. Unfortunately you don't get the same controls like the Reveal plugin. Took about 20 min or so of tuning to get to what I think is around 80% wet. Also note you have to get the HQ app as the regular Audeze app does not support V2 Cipher cable.
  • As suggested by Audeze, you can set your preferred EQ in the app and the Cipher cable will store it so that it works on anything you can connect to even without the app. The converse is true too, if you plug your Cipher cable into another friend's iPhone, you will see your EQ and not your friend's!
  • The Anker USB-C to Lightning adapter is great! Works on both iPad Pro and my MacBook Pro. Mic works too on both as do the controls.
  • Only nit pick I have is the rather crude volume adjustment. Probably in +3 dB increments.
  • Watched some Youtube videos and lip-sync had no issues.
  • Cipher cable weighs next to nothing so super comfortable. Definitely feels like my PW 1960 4 wire cable is an anchor in comparison.
  • Add a USB C adapter like https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B079LYHNSR/ and it work with the Anker adapter for Windows PC if you don't have a USB-C port. Controls and all too.
I just may use the Cipher cable for video conferencing since I can hear my own voice clearly. Which reminds me, I should check out the BT cable next LOL! Quite a great deal even knowing some folks got the same for $995 during Black Friday 2019.

Update - tried BT cable and result was meh. Sounds ok, but volume is substantially lower than Cipher, but usable. Also I find the cable is actually less comfortable versus wired when sitting still. Definitely would not have paid extra for it in my case.

Last edited:
Apr 7, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #3,373 of 4,795
Lcdi4's arrived today. Being an owner of the ierz1r's, initially I was like meh. Playing around with some eq though and wow. I think I need a more powerful dap. Max volume sounds fantastic, but a little more would be incredible. The sound is huge. Very happy.

Apr 15, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #3,374 of 4,795
with m15, low gain, maximum volume are at the limits.
With high gain and maximum volume I can say that the I4 sounds very good but you also have a strong acustic pressure. I believe that beyond it, it could go without breaking the eardrums.
:wink:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back