Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Dec 2, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #3,062 of 4,786
do you think Audeze would release another flagship iem?

I asked the Audeze rep at this year's Axpona about plans for the next flagship IEM. He said they were concentrating on other things like getting the fitment issues sorted out. It seemed like they wanted to move away from ear hooks and we saw the result of that in the new earfins.

I asked if an "LCDi5" was tied to a new flagship full-size transducer like an "LCD-5," but he said the development of the IEM line was not necessarily connected to the fullsize R&D path.

The general impression I got was that they were really happy with the i4 and they weren't in any hurry to try and better it. I think the i4 was the culmination of a long and involved development process which began with the iSines. From there the next step for Audeze wasn't moving upward but bringing what they learned down into the new i3.

I'm sure they will release a new flagship IEM in time, but my guess is that it has still yet to appear on the horizon. I don't think anyone should be nervous about purchasing an i4 for fear of a newer model anytime soon. For me, I'm ambivalent. I'm so thrilled with the i4 that I'm not itching for an upgrade. But, I'm so thrilled with the i4 that I can't wait to hear what comes next....

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:22 AM Post #3,063 of 4,786
I asked the Audeze rep at this year's Axpona about plans for the next flagship IEM. He said they were concentrating on other things like getting the fitment issues sorted out. It seemed like they wanted to move away from ear hooks and we saw the result of that in the new earfins.

I asked if an "LCDi5" was tied to a new flagship full-size transducer like an "LCD-5," but he said the development of the IEM line was not necessarily connected to the fullsize R&D path.

The general impression I got was that they were really happy with the i4 and they weren't in any hurry to try and better it. I think the i4 was the culmination of a long and involved development process which began with the iSines. From there the next step for Audeze wasn't moving upward but bringing what they learned down into the new i3.

I'm sure they will release a new flagship IEM in time, but my guess is that it has still yet to appear on the horizon. I don't think anyone should be nervous about purchasing an i4 for fear of a newer model anytime soon. For me, I'm ambivalent. I'm so thrilled with the i4 that I'm not itching for an upgrade. But, I'm so thrilled with the i4 that I can't wait to hear what comes next....

Thank you for your well-informed information!

how about durability? don't want the driver dead out of the blue.... nano-thin diaphragm still.. :p.

nothing more frustrating than need contacting after-sales support. of course, as a seasoned Audeze customer, my experience with them is always excellent.

Dec 3, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #3,064 of 4,786

would the i4 also include ear fins? I am currently using Westone style abs box to store it.

i4 should be very much the end game for Iem, i guess. tried kse1500, the DAC sucks absolutely.

Dec 3, 2019 at 1:11 AM Post #3,065 of 4,786
would the i4 also include ear fins? I am currently using Westone style abs box to store it.

i4 should be very much the end game for Iem, i guess. tried kse1500, the DAC sucks absolutely.

Personally, I've the found the i4s to be incredibly durable. Audeze designed the earpieces so that the blood-cell thin transducer is fixed and not vulnerable. I should be far more careful than I am with such delicate and pricey equipment. The reality is that it is a mobile device and can get knocked about. Nevertheless, I haven't had any issues from mechanical stress. If a problem does arise, as you said, Audeze is one of those companies that is passionate about getting great sound to the consumer. I've found that means that they take meticulous care of both audio and user.

I think current i4s come with the ear fins, but I'm not sure. In any case they're not much and are readily available from Audeze.

I think the i4s are a singular listening device. I was looking at the KSE1500s myself until I heard the i4. I do think the KSE1500s are great IEMs, but they sound like... IEMs. That's no fault of their designers. They set out to make the best IEM on the market by leveraging electrostatic tech. By many an expert measure, they succeeded. But, Audeze was after something else: a total disruption of the market. And I do think they've succeeded too. They've created something other than, and in my opinion, better than a standard IEM.

Dec 4, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #3,067 of 4,786
i4 and iSines are the least isolating earphones/headphones. They are worse than open-back headphones and earbuds, when it comes to isolation.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 2:16 PM Post #3,068 of 4,786
Only downside is that it’s open back. Are they decent in loud environments like airplanes, etc? My old isine was OK at best.

Ok at best, huh?

Open back is part of the reason isine and i4 are best IEM you can buy.

You can always opt for Shure KSE 1500 or 1200, because those are your only alternatives for comparable audio quality, they sealed design, so hopefully 'decent' on flights.

For extremely noisy airplane environment, get the free stuff that comes with a phone, or grab one of those sets that are given away for free, I'm sure those are 'decent'.

I use isine20 and i4 on flights, almost weekly. What exactly bothers you about Audeze IEM on flights? Complete lack of isolation of open back headphones?

I suppose we just have to waite for Audeze to come up with open back IEMs, that switch into closed back mode, when they sense airplane environment.

Dec 4, 2019 at 2:37 PM Post #3,069 of 4,786
I4 on a plane?...why lol?....you would have to pump the volume up so high to hear over the roar of the engine that you would be deaf....they arent meant for such an environment...spend 150 bucks and get a pair of etymotics

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #3,070 of 4,786
I4 on a plane?...why lol?....you would have to pump the volume up so high to hear over the roar of the engine that you would be deaf....they arent meant for such an environment...spend 150 bucks and get a pair of etymotics

I assume you are American.
I don't know what type of airplanes you fly, but Helsinki - Bangkok routes are newer planes, there is no 'engine roar', unless you are talking about full power at take off, lasts about 30 seconds, and near full reverse at landing. There is slight hum through the flight, far less ightsnoisy than streets of major Asian cities.

Thanks for Etymotics flashback, had them in 1994, best IEM at the time, single Armature driver, the very first commercial armature design, if I'm not mistaken. Etymotics and Grado were part of my day back then.

What do you fly, if I may ask? What roars so loadly, that you are unable to use open back headphones on planes?

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #3,071 of 4,786
I live in the usa and pretty much every plane I fly in has a roar that makes it impossible for me to listen to open back HP's...in fact I once tried a closed back pair on a flight and it was a waste of time....now if I choose to listen to music on a plane I use my shure kse 1200 or as I said an old pair of etymotics

Dec 4, 2019 at 3:16 PM Post #3,072 of 4,786
I live in the usa and pretty much every plane I fly in has a roar that makes it impossible for me to listen to open back HP's...in fact I once tried a closed back pair on a flight and it was a waste of time....now if I choose to listen to music on a plane I use my shure kse 1200 or as I said an old pair of etymotics

Understood. Goes to show we have different demands, you require complete isolation in noisy environment, I block it out.
I do own several pairs of armatures, like all of us here. I just don't feel comfortable after about an hour or 2 having memory foam in my ear. It's just me, my ears start acking, uncomfortable feeling that makes me take my Shure 846, with comply tips, out of my ears.
I don't find very slight background hum on a plane an issue, not with Audeze iem, not with Grado RS1, not with full size LCD, not with any open back headphones.

My initial reply to a poster who asked if Audeze item are 'decent enough', using term 'decent', and State of The Art earphones in same sentence triggered me, I guess.

I am very envious of your Shure KSE, but I'm going to fix this issue soon :)

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:11 PM Post #3,073 of 4,786
Understood. Goes to show we have different demands, you require complete isolation in noisy environment, I block it out.
I do own several pairs of armatures, like all of us here. I just don't feel comfortable after about an hour or 2 having memory foam in my ear. It's just me, my ears start acking, uncomfortable feeling that makes me take my Shure 846, with comply tips, out of my ears.
I don't find very slight background hum on a plane an issue, not with Audeze iem, not with Grado RS1, not with full size LCD, not with any open back headphones.

My initial reply to a poster who asked if Audeze item are 'decent enough', using term 'decent', and State of The Art earphones in same sentence triggered me, I guess.

I am very envious of your Shure KSE, but I'm going to fix this issue soon :)
I also recommend the Sony IERs as well, they block outside noise and sound like an over the ear headphone to boot.

They also work well on airplanes...hint hint...

Dec 4, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #3,074 of 4,786
Yeah here in the US, they use 737. Occasionally you’ll get an Airbus. Personally I wouldn’t try anything on a plane without ANC capability, but while my Bose QC 25 has great ANC, sound quality is meh

Also. I meant decent in that environment. Not meant as a knock on SQ. Every time I tried the i4 , I was really impressed.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #3,075 of 4,786
for b-stock folks. would the cipher lightning cable and cipher bluetooth module coming with your 1k package for free just like the retail package? or did audeze charge you extra?

how about the i3 fins?? the very very old ear locks would be good too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back