Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
May 24, 2019 at 10:59 PM Post #2,716 of 4,784
I like all the input and analysis provided. I'm pretty sold on the idea of owning an i4. The 4Z is the measuring stick so in this instance price to performance wise and consideration to the form factor, if the i4 is indeed 70 - 85 % of the enjoyment/ sound quality of the the 4Z that's a more than acceptable trade off. I'd almost consider selling all my desktop gear.
Who have the luxury of sticking around to a fixed desktop these days? Turtle perhaps?

May 25, 2019 at 9:28 AM Post #2,718 of 4,784
Who have the luxury of sticking around to a fixed desktop these days? Turtle perhaps?

Myself and a few traders have Wm1Z, Hugos and other devices including Macs running Roon around the desks, wearing i4 and other headphones all day.
So, actually quite a few people. :)

Jun 3, 2019 at 8:37 PM Post #2,719 of 4,784
Last edited:
Jun 3, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #2,720 of 4,784
Jun 4, 2019 at 2:43 PM Post #2,721 of 4,784
Long story short, I had some issues with my B-stock lcdi4 unit. Audeze CS was awesome as usual, and helped me fix the issues. During our correspondence, I asked about the cipher bluetooth cable for the lcdi4 (I already have the isine Bluetooth cable). They said they were working on it.

Guess what they surprised me with when they sent me the lcdi4?

http://imgur.com/a/lRmRNSm

I thanked them and they said this was one of the first released into the wild with lcdi4 DSP settings baked in. Note that it looks like they put the new stickers over the old isine stickers and the packaging doesn't seem to be updated yet, so I'm assuming the finishing touches are still occurring. However, they're coming, people. The lcdi4 model ends in -1010 while the isine model ends in -1000.

Yes, they sound incredible. Not as good as directly fed with stock cable from my idsd black label using reveal plug in, but freaking amazing for Bluetooth. I'd say the sound signature is overall more even than using the isine cipher bluetooth, which creates a bit more v shaped sound.

Jun 4, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #2,722 of 4,784
Long story short, I had some issues with my B-stock lcdi4 unit. Audeze CS was awesome as usual, and helped me fix the issues. During our correspondence, I asked about the cipher bluetooth cable for the lcdi4 (I already have the isine Bluetooth cable). They said they were working on it.

I thanked them and they said this was one of the first released into the wild with lcdi4 DSP settings baked in. Note that it looks like they put the new stickers over the old isine stickers and the packaging doesn't seem to be updated yet, so I'm assuming the finishing touches are still occurring. However, they're coming, people. The lcdi4 model ends in -1010 while the isine model ends in -1000.

Yes, they sound incredible. Not as good as directly fed with stock cable from my idsd black label using reveal plug in, but freaking amazing for Bluetooth. I'd say the sound signature is overall more even than using the isine cipher bluetooth, which creates a bit more v shaped sound.

Audeze is pretty awesome! I am excited to get the Bluetooth cable for the i4 myself. I asked them about it awhile back. Sounds like I need to save up for it!

Jun 4, 2019 at 7:03 PM Post #2,723 of 4,784

Here's how the LCDi4 measures with the i4 Cipher BT vs wired with Reveal EQ. I'm working out some kinks in my measuring rig, so everything above 7K is a work in progress right now, but it's accurate enough to show that the new Cipher BT is very very close to Reveal EQ.

LCDi4 i4CipherBT vs Reveal.jpg

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:06 AM Post #2,724 of 4,784
Can anyone tell me if this thing really need a desktop amplifer to work at optimal level or not? I see so many conflict opinions here. I don't expect the best result with most portable daps but can it at least work at decent level?

Jun 6, 2019 at 4:52 AM Post #2,725 of 4,784
Can anyone tell me if this thing really need a desktop amplifer to work at optimal level or not? I see so many conflict opinions here. I don't expect the best result with most portable daps but can it at least work at decent level?

Don't worry it will perform very well with DAPs. I use it mostly with my WM1Z, and it's the best sounding portable combo I've ever heard. If I need ultra portability, I use the cipher cable with my iPod touch / iPhone combined with NePlayer app. I dare to say that the cipher cable + iPod / iPhone combo is perhaps 85-90% of the sound I'm getting from WM1Z.

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:01 AM Post #2,726 of 4,784
Don't worry it will perform very well with DAPs. I use it mostly with my WM1Z, and it's the best sounding portable combo I've ever heard. If I need ultra portability, I use the cipher cable with my iPod touch / iPhone combined with NePlayer app. I dare to say that the cipher cable + iPod / iPhone combo is perhaps 85-90% of the sound I'm getting from WM1Z.
Thanks. I might be able to get them in a few days. Will do comparison with my KSE.

Jun 6, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #2,728 of 4,784

I think they do need a great upstream setup...and out of the Hugo2, they are just brilliant!!!! But the Hugo2 is also semi-portable too.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2019 at 9:05 AM Post #2,730 of 4,784

I have considered Hugo 2. Previous owner of Hugo. Stilll too big compared with mojo. Even mojo is too big. And no usb c in next product will mean no buy.

The Mojo is a great option as well...more portable, though not as good sonically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back