Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Feb 26, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #2,582 of 4,791
The cables look identical (Cipher Cable v2 with 4 buttons) and I suspect the hardware inside is identical too. As JLoud said, the difference is in the firmware, and once you connect it to the iOS device, the app will tell you which version you have and if there's a new firmware for it, however it will not allow you to change the firmware type (like flashing an existing iSine fw with an i4 fw, only upgrade to latest firmware of the same type).

So much wished that it would work with usb-c .

Ie identified as usb DAC in other os.

Tried with data usb-c lightning adapter. But didn't work with Android .

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:58 PM Post #2,583 of 4,791
I'm looking for a portable amp/dac or just amp, to pair my lcdi4 and Android phone/macbook, it should be something really portable, Bluetooth is a plus, ifi micro or similar footprint amp are way too big for my needs.

I was considering the ifi xdsd, fiio q5, topping nx4, maybe the mojo ?

I would prefer to stay below ~500, even less, possibly available in Europe
What would you guys suggest?

Feb 26, 2019 at 5:02 PM Post #2,584 of 4,791
I'm looking for a portable amp/dac or just amp, to pair my lcdi4 and Android phone/macbook, it should be something really portable, Bluetooth is a plus, ifi micro or similar footprint amp are way too big for my needs.

I love my CEntrance DACPortable with any of my IEM. It’s a clean 700ma of class A power. The included bass and treble boosts are simply a plus.

Feb 26, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #2,586 of 4,791
Why however could that possibly have happened? (big grin)
We know the feel . Bro .

https://www.amazon.co.jp/エレコム-Android-microUSB-オーディオアダプター-EHP-AHR192SV/dp/B01E6WGMBI/

Feb 27, 2019 at 12:05 AM Post #2,587 of 4,791

Of the 4 you listed I did not try the Topping nx4.
From the remaining 3 I would choose the Mojo, I like the pairing (owned one before buying the Hugo 2) + the little extra power is really needed by the LCDi4.

Of course, as always, if you can somehow.. try before you buy.

Mar 1, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #2,588 of 4,791
I just returned to listening through a Mojo after some time using the Cypher cable. I definitely prefer the Mojo. Cleaner bass, better sound overall.

Mar 11, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #2,591 of 4,791
Hi all,

I've been lurking here for quite some time. I finally got the LCDi4, so I wanted to give some quick early impressions. Anything I say about them is in comparison to everything else I've heard (cans and IEMs). You can check my signature/profile.

- Impressions/Comparisons -

First off, these things are effing awesome. I'm using the balance Bronze Dragon from Moon Audio. I've run the i4 mostly from my iBasso DX200 but spent a little time listening from the RME ADI-2 DCA >> THX/AAA/789 setup. I've yet to listen with the Mojo, so more to follow. I briefly listened to the Reveal plug-in at different wet levels and I didn't care for it. It had a very artificial DSP sound to it, so I doubt I'll ever use it again.

I've heard the complaints about the tonality and I personally have no issue with it. The Signature is thunderous, detailed and extended bass; very present and sublime mids; and smooth yet slightly recessed highs (X|X|x). The highs are interesting because they ARE detailed and extended but don't command the same attention as the rest of the frequency range. I wouldn't call them rolled off or recessed but they clearly take a back seat to the mids and bass. I'm personally good with that.

I'd actually call them "hybrids" because they truly are a step above every IEM I've heard. I know it's been said a million times here but they really do sound like full-size headphones! They blow right past my Sine DX (no surprise) and hold their own against the Arya and Elex.

Every IEM I have sounds small and thin by comparison. Not so much the Vega but it still sounds tiny by comparison. The Dream is more "detailed" but not by much. I know it's not a fair comparison but I just wanted to throw in my two cents.

The comparisons are more fair when I move up to full-size cans. The Elex is far more balanced but the mids and bass on the i4 are simply superior. The jury is still out on detail retrieval. Staging is a draw but imaging goes to the i4. As it should, the Ayra beats the i4 in everything expect imaging, which I give a slight edge to the i4. All in all, I'm quite impressed with how the i4 stacks up!

My only gripes are the ear hangers/hooks and the case. For an MSRP of $2.5K, the small things should be refined. The case should be hard with inserts that fit the headphones WITH the hangers attached. If anyone has a "refined" third-party solution, please let me know! The hooks and hangers need to be redesigned and redeployed, period! The hooks are useless for me and the hangers require a mod. Someone else posted this and I can confirm that they work pretty well on the hangers

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V7BPNL/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last thing, I can also confirm that the CP500 tips DO NOT fit the i4 properly.

That's all for now!

Mar 11, 2019 at 8:05 AM Post #2,592 of 4,791
As it should, the Ayra beats the i4 in everything expect imaging, which I give a slight edge to the i4.

Personally, once you've sorted things out, I don't think it should. I bet the i4s will come alongside the Aryas or pull ahead in many areas.

As you know, there are a number of elements involved in getting the right sound out of the i4s.

Step one is finding the right tips and placement/angle, which as you wrote, can be challenging. I've never had phones change this much depending on finding the right tips and positioning. I think that comes down to the unique nature of these phones.

Many people have found out that once they hit that sweet spot the i4 rewards them with world class sound capable of standing toe to toe with the elite phones.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #2,593 of 4,791
Personally, once you've sorted things out, I don't think it should. I bet the i4s will come alongside the Aryas or pull ahead in many areas.

As you know, there are a number of elements involved in getting the right sound out of the i4s.

Step one is finding the right tips and placement/angle, which as you wrote, can be challenging. I've never had phones change this much depending on finding the right tips and positioning. I think that comes down to the unique nature of these phones.

Many people have found out that once they hit that sweet spot the i4 rewards them with world class sound capable of standing toe to toe with the elite phones.
Admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread but I I haven't heard much difference between the stock, groovy, CP155 tips. Are there any others I should be testing? I've been using the large stock tips as they are the most comfy to me. Surprising because I usually go for the smallest tips I can find. I think I'm gonna order some interconnects so I can test the silver Dita Truth cable with the i4. If the i4s can beat out the Arya, I'd burst into tears. Happy tears.

Mar 11, 2019 at 9:59 AM Post #2,594 of 4,791
Admittedly, I haven't read the entire thread but I I haven't heard much difference between the stock, groovy, CP155 tips. Are there any others I should be testing? I've been using the large stock tips as they are the most comfy to me. Surprising because I usually go for the smallest tips I can find. I think I'm gonna order some interconnects so I can test the silver Dita Truth cable with the i4. If the i4s can beat out the Arya, I'd burst into tears. Happy tears.

It is tricky, because everyone's ears are different and we hear different things. For me, I thought there was a–huge–difference between the spinfits and groovys. You should skim the thread a bit to get a bead on different tips choices and then experiment.

The three key factors, to my mind, are 1) seal, 2) placement, and 3)angle.

1) Seal: You want a good seal but, unlike normal IEMS, not completely closed off. I found a shallow insertion best, which, like you, meant using larger than usual tips. If you are getting "thunderous" bass but "recessed" highs, you might try pulling back slightly on insertion depth.
2) Placement: Again, more like circumaural phones rather than normal IEMS, placement matters. My i4s are nestled in the intertragic notch, outside, below, and forward of the ear canal.
3) Angle: My nozzles are angled up and back which send a clear sound into my earcanal. If I don't get the angle right the sound is lovely and warm, but clarity and definition are not good.

I tried an array of tips (+sizes) and manually adjusted the positioning of the nozzles until I got my desired sound. Then I worked backward to figure out how to stably fix the i4s in that position. I used a hair dryer and heat gun to carefully soften up the ear "hangers" and bend them.This was the only way for me to get the nozzles to fire at the right angle. I added foam from symbio mandarins into the groovy tips to get the balance between seal and articulate sound. I also lengthened the tips for greater maneuverability by adding a small length of rubber tubing which I sewed onto tips with kevlar thread. Finally, various silicone inserts on the ear "hangars" keep the whole mess in place.

I don't know, for me, this, along with DSP, brought the i4s competitive to some top tier phones.

Mar 11, 2019 at 10:46 AM Post #2,595 of 4,791
It is tricky, because everyone's ears are different and we hear different things. For me, I thought there was a–huge–difference between the spinfits and groovys. You should skim the thread a bit to get a bead on different tips choices and then experiment.

The three key factors, to my mind, are 1) seal, 2) placement, and 3)angle.

1) Seal: You want a good seal but, unlike normal IEMS, not completely closed off. I found a shallow insertion best, which, like you, meant using larger than usual tips. If you are getting "thunderous" bass but "recessed" highs, you might try pulling back slightly on insertion depth.
2) Placement: Again, more like circumaural phones rather than normal IEMS, placement matters. My i4s are nestled in the intertragic notch, outside, below, and forward of the ear canal.
3) Angle: My nozzles are angled up and back which send a clear sound into my earcanal. If I don't get the angle right the sound is lovely and warm, but clarity and definition are not good.

I tried an array of tips (+sizes) and manually adjusted the positioning of the nozzles until I got my desired sound. Then I worked backward to figure out how to stably fix the i4s in that position. I used a hair dryer and heat gun to carefully soften up the ear "hangers" and bend them.This was the only way for me to get the nozzles to fire at the right angle. I added foam from symbio mandarins into the groovy tips to get the balance between seal and articulate sound. I also lengthened the tips for greater maneuverability by adding a small length of rubber tubing which I sewed onto tips with kevlar thread. Finally, various silicone inserts on the ear "hangars" keep the whole mess in place.

I don't know, for me, this, along with DSP, brought the i4s competitive to some top tier phones.
Based on this, I definitely have some more testing to do haha. Thanks for the insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back