Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Feb 25, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #2,566 of 4,795
I just got today the Cipher cable from Audeze (i4 version) and is not working properly with my i4's. The sound is distorted when increasing volume over half on the iPhone XS Max. I tried also the following combinations:

1. Cypher with i4 fw + i4 = distorted
2. Cypher with i4 fw + iSine20's = distorted
3. Cypher with iSine20 fw + i4= distorted
4. Cypher with iSine20 fw + iSine20's = good

I don't know what to make of these results. I know both earphones are working properly and I was thinking if there is an issue with the newly received Cipher cable then at least the combination no. 3 should have worked even if the tonal balance would not have been perfect.

Does anybody else had a similar issue? Thanks!

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:48 AM Post #2,567 of 4,795
I just got today the Cipher cable from Audeze (i4 version) and is not working properly with my i4's. The sound is distorted when increasing volume over half on the iPhone XS Max. I tried also the following combinations:

I don't know what to make of these results. I know both earphones are working properly and I was thinking if there is an issue with the newly received Cipher cable then at least the combination no. 3 should have worked even if the tonal balance would not have been perfect.

How to flash i4 fw over isine cable please?

Assuming u only have i4 cable at the moment .

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:12 PM Post #2,569 of 4,795
I got in touch with Audeze and was told the following:
"..We have a new type of ear hooks available for direct sale for $5 (2 pairs each size (M and L). They should be more durable than the previous version and if you'd like to make that purchase, you can email.."

I'm trying to order 5 sets, will report back when I have more info, but it sounds promising! :ksc75smile:

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:26 PM Post #2,570 of 4,795

I think that is normal. I don't normally listen with the cipher cable, but from what I remember - I didn't go above half way on an iPhone because it was too loud and the amp runs out of steam too - hence the distortion

Feb 25, 2019 at 12:41 PM Post #2,571 of 4,795
Wow, I ordered 5 sets of "new ear hooks", and they will ship them out today.
@Audeze support is really fast, thnx!!

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:57 PM Post #2,572 of 4,795
I have the i4 with cipher cable. And an iPhone XS max. No issues what so ever with mine. Can turn the volume up past half way with no distortion.

Feb 25, 2019 at 3:58 PM Post #2,573 of 4,795
Did you install the app from Audeze? Audeze HQ. It will show if correct firmware is installed, and I believe you can update firmware.

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #2,575 of 4,795
I'm sorry, I don't know. I've asked Audeze to send me one (as they do not put it in the box with the earphones) after I bought the i4's and it came with the i4 fw. The iSine20 Cipher cable came in the box with the iSine20's.

is there any way to tell which cable is which please since you have both i4/isine cables?

Feb 25, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #2,576 of 4,795
The firmware is embedded in the cable. When you plug it in and open Audeze HQ app it will tell you firmware number and which model it is designed for. Definitely run the app on you ios device.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:05 AM Post #2,577 of 4,795
It takes a good 2 or 3 months for thg he cipher cable to work properly. Just the nature of the beast.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #2,578 of 4,795
You sound pretty insane to me, lol.
The curious Cable does work well with DAVE and the sound signature does change with other high end wires. So your wallet will suffer!

Not sure what your MScaler will add to the DAVE. Let us know.

Now back to that Leo II cable, what's the total cost and how did you hear of it?

paul

Hey Paul, the effect Audio Leo II cable cost me about $1300 Aud delivered to Aus. Great service from the effect team re comms and order fulfilment. I actually demo’d a few cables on the i4 a little over 1 year ago (including the leonidis 1 and the 1960’s 4 wire). The Leo 1 really increased the transparency and the airiness but was light on bass. The 1960’s 4 wire had lots of detail and stage expansion plus the bass. But that cable costs over $2200Aud. When I saw effect release the Leo II I noticed the reviews were all excellent and that it was an upgrade across the board to the Leo I. So decided to pull the trigger.

I am listening to the i4/Leo II out of my 1 day old Dave now and it sounds awesome. Listening to the Dave without the M Scaler for a while to appreciate it on its own. To be honest I would be perfectly happy with Dave without M Scaler. It’s such a phenomenal unit, I can’t believe I finally have one, and the M Scaler to boot. When you add the M Scaler to Dave it just ramps up the realism, depth, and nuance.

I see you have a very serious Shinyata power cable there, I picked up an isotek Sequel for 1/2 price as I am basically out of surplus funds at the moment, so using that. But would like to try a shunyata down the line.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:36 AM Post #2,579 of 4,795
I have the i4 with cipher cable. And an iPhone XS max. No issues what so ever with mine. Can turn the volume up past half way with no distortion.

Thank you for confirming is working ok for you.

I have the app installed on the phone and is reporting the latest firmwares for both cables (6.1.5 for iSINE10/20 and 7.1.5 for LCD-i4).

This morning I've tried again the iSine20 cable with i4's and ...surprise, this time worked without issues. I don't know why it did not work yesterday. In the meantime I have restarted the phone couple of times...maybe it was a bad contact may something else. The i4 cable still doesn't work properly ;-(

Now it looks to me that I have a defective i4 cable, I'll ask Audeze if I can do anything about it.

Feb 26, 2019 at 6:42 AM Post #2,580 of 4,795
is there any way to tell which cable is which please since you have both i4/isine cables?

The cables look identical (Cipher Cable v2 with 4 buttons) and I suspect the hardware inside is identical too. As JLoud said, the difference is in the firmware, and once you connect it to the iOS device, the app will tell you which version you have and if there's a new firmware for it, however it will not allow you to change the firmware type (like flashing an existing iSine fw with an i4 fw, only upgrade to latest firmware of the same type).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back