Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Feb 16, 2019 at 8:01 PM Post #2,551 of 4,791
Feb 16, 2019 at 10:12 PM Post #2,552 of 4,791
In the concha

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:16 PM Post #2,553 of 4,791
Does the earlock extend into the concha or fossa of the ear? Thanks.
Here's a picture of where the earlocks fit in your ears, but with a pair of earbuds so you can see (the earlocks are/were made by a separate company from audeze and that company, surefire, makes them for several different headphones).
upload_2019-2-16_22-15-50.jpeg

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #2,554 of 4,791
Anyone know which model to get, that pairs with the LCDi4? My biggest complaint in the past, and why I returned them was because the ear hooks hurt after a while.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #2,555 of 4,791
I really love my LCDi4 out of my Hugo 2... it basically became my "desktop setup", no need for any bulky headphone/headphone amp/dac for me.

..but yesterday I broke my 4th set of Earhooks (in 1,5 years) and I'm really annoyed right now.
This last set has around 4 months and I didn't take them off on purpose as I broke the one before while taking it off to store the i4 in the leather case.
But yesterday evening, while putting the i4 over my ear, snap, gone. :)

Did anyone try to order somewhere/something like 10 sets of medium Earhooks only?
I hade a ton of groovy and smooth eartips and large earhooks that I gave away as I kept ordering these kits with large earhooks and other useless stuff in it.. just to get 1 set of medium earhoooks.
The first time I even paid 50$ for it as I didn't know about the 40$ discount for registered owners..

Feb 19, 2019 at 3:19 AM Post #2,556 of 4,791
Anyone know which model to get, that pairs with the LCDi4? My biggest complaint in the past, and why I returned them was because the ear hooks hurt after a while.

What do you mean by "which model"? Are you referring to a DAP or a DAC? As for the Earhooks, yes, the stock ear hooks can be uncomfortable. Some of us have been doing some DIY mods to the Earhooks that helps alleviate these issues.

1. Bend the Earhooks:
This method works the best for me. It was inspired by someone here on the thread. With the application of heat from a heat gun or burner in the kitchen, I bend the earhooks to an angle that hugs my ear. The trick is to find the correct angle that works for your ears. For me, its just a narrow bend instead of a wide arc.

IMG_0370.JPG IMG_0371.JPG

2. @kubig123 's Rubber Tube mod:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...itor-discussion.850292/page-104#post-13998779

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aud...itor-discussion.850292/page-104#post-14000777

I really love my LCDi4 out of my Hugo 2... it basically became my "desktop setup", no need for any bulky headphone/headphone amp/dac for me.
..but yesterday I broke my 4th set of Earhooks (in 1,5 years) and I'm really annoyed right now.
This last set has around 4 months and I didn't take them off on purpose as I broke the one before while taking it off to store the i4 in the leather case.
But yesterday evening, while putting the i4 over my ear, snap, gone. :)

Did anyone try to order somewhere/something like 10 sets of medium Earhooks only?
I hade a ton of groovy and smooth eartips and large earhooks that I gave away as I kept ordering these kits with large earhooks and other useless stuff in it.. just to get 1 set of medium earhoooks.
The first time I even paid 50$ for it as I didn't know about the 40$ discount for registered owners..

Tell me about it. Audeze really needs to sell the Earhooks separately.

Lol, I didn't know about the $40 discount on the Groovy kit until now. So I have always ordered this one which comes with 2 Medium Earhooks: https://www.audeze.com/products/accessories/isine-accessory-kit

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:10 AM Post #2,557 of 4,791
What do you mean by "which model"? Are you referring to a DAP or a DAC? As for the Earhooks, yes, the stock ear hooks can be uncomfortable. Some of us have been doing some DIY mods to the Earhooks that helps alleviate these issues.
1. Bend the Earhooks:
This method works the best for me. It was inspired by someone here on the thread. With the application of heat from a heat gun or burner in the kitchen, I bend the earhooks to an angle that hugs my ear. The trick is to find the correct angle that works for your ears. For me, its just a narrow bend instead of a wide arc.

I think that was me. If you don't have a heat gun where you can set the temp, I would recommend using a hairdryer if you're doing it for the first time. You need to keep the temperature low until you get the hang of it. If the heat is high, there is a point where the plastic will lose integrity and just go limp. With a low temp you keep bend it little by little without risk of losing another ear hook.

I do think angling the hooks helps a lot in comfort, fit, and placement for optimum sound.

I've heard talk that they are redesigning the i4s with integrated ear hooks for the future.

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:20 AM Post #2,559 of 4,791
The rubber tube mod works great. I cut about a half inch off the ear hooks then slide the tubing all the way up to the earpiece then rotate the ear hook forward about 30* so that the whole thing just lightly hangs off the ear which then aims it perfectly into the ear canal. So light and comfortable I can and do use them this way for many hours on end. Can barely feel them on ears but it is completely non-intrusive and totally comfortable this way. Plus sounds friggin incredible like gorgeous sound from nowhere. I love my 4z too, but these get used about 70% of the time just because they are so darn comfortable.

Feb 22, 2019 at 1:50 AM Post #2,560 of 4,791
I recently received the Effect Audio Leonidis II for my i4's. My rig is either Surface Pro to Hugo 2 via Curious USB cable + Roon with i4 DSP, or as mentioned with my M Scaler added. Anyways I have had a handful of decent aftermarket cables before for other in ears like the Tia Fourte and Zeus etc so I am a cable believer as I tend to perceive quite significant changes in sound flavor with cables (lucky for my ears but unlucky for my wallet). The nicest cable I have had prior to the Leo II is the 1960's 2 wire on my Zeus.

I have been considering getting a new cable for my i4 for about a year but the stock cable is pretty good, not at the level of some aftermarket cables but certainly far better then most stock cables. So I finally pulled the pin and ordered the Leo II (why not as I was on a roll with the procurement of the M Scaler and Dave so why act like a sane person and stop there). The Leo II really pushes the i4 in my opinion to another level, bass is more defined, hits harder and deeper. Soundstage is deeper and wider, articularion/resolution is increased but in a very liquid and effortless way, highs are very clear but not sibilant at all, separation is improved and musicality really increases. So uplift in all departments really. I threw the old cable on again today for 5 minutes and things sounded closed in and a bit brash. I am very happy with the purchase.

Since getting the M Scaler I had stopped listening to the H2 solo as it sounded too harsh and brittle without the M Scaler in the chain - of course I only started thinking this after I heard the M Scaler. As I write this I am listening to i4/Leo II/H2 without M Scaler and am extremely happy with the sound as the liquid musicality of the Leo II has eliminated any harshness of the H2. Obviously the M Scaler gives things a big jump again, and I expect the Dave that I will receive next week will push the i4/Leo II to joyous extremes.

I have now had the i4 for 18 months, the longest I have had any piece of audio kit and I am still stoked with it and reach for it more than I do my Utopia Lazuli ref combo.

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #2,561 of 4,791
I recently received the Effect Audio Leonidis II for my i4's. My rig is either Surface Pro to Hugo 2 via Curious USB cable + Roon with i4 DSP, or as mentioned with my M Scaler added. Anyways I have had a handful of decent aftermarket cables before for other in ears like the Tia Fourte and Zeus etc so I am a cable believer as I tend to perceive quite significant changes in sound flavor with cables (lucky for my ears but unlucky for my wallet). The nicest cable I have had prior to the Leo II is the 1960's 2 wire on my Zeus.

I have been considering getting a new cable for my i4 for about a year but the stock cable is pretty good, not at the level of some aftermarket cables but certainly far better then most stock cables. So I finally pulled the pin and ordered the Leo II (why not as I was on a roll with the procurement of the M Scaler and Dave so why act like a sane person and stop there). The Leo II really pushes the i4 in my opinion to another level, bass is more defined, hits harder and deeper. Soundstage is deeper and wider, articularion/resolution is increased but in a very liquid and effortless way, highs are very clear but not sibilant at all, separation is improved and musicality really increases. So uplift in all departments really. I threw the old cable on again today for 5 minutes and things sounded closed in and a bit brash. I am very happy with the purchase.

Since getting the M Scaler I had stopped listening to the H2 solo as it sounded too harsh and brittle without the M Scaler in the chain - of course I only started thinking this after I heard the M Scaler. As I write this I am listening to i4/Leo II/H2 without M Scaler and am extremely happy with the sound as the liquid musicality of the Leo II has eliminated any harshness of the H2. Obviously the M Scaler gives things a big jump again, and I expect the Dave that I will receive next week will push the i4/Leo II to joyous extremes.

I have now had the i4 for 18 months, the longest I have had any piece of audio kit and I am still stoked with it and reach for it more than I do my Utopia Lazuli ref combo.

You sound pretty insane to me, lol.
The curious Cable does work well with DAVE and the sound signature does change with other high end wires. So your wallet will suffer!

Not sure what your MScaler will add to the DAVE. Let us know.

Now back to that Leo II cable, what's the total cost and how did you hear of it?

paul

DAVE IMG_7767.jpg

Feb 22, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #2,562 of 4,791
In the never-ending quest for better, more comfortable, and more stable placement with the ear hooks, I've found these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NQR7YNK/

It always help to get some soft, grippy silicone into the equation. These have definitely helped and they are low profile enough that they they don't fight with the eartips of my glasses when I have to wear them.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #2,564 of 4,791
You sound pretty insane to me, lol.
The curious Cable does work well with DAVE and the sound signature does change with other high end wires. So your wallet will suffer!

Not sure what your MScaler will add to the DAVE. Let us know.

Now back to that Leo II cable, what's the total cost and how did you hear of it?

paul

is it a cobra?

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:53 AM Post #2,565 of 4,791

Users who are viewing this thread

Back