Audeze LCD i4 TOTL In-Ear Monitor Discussion
Jan 13, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #2,537 of 4,791
Just my opinion but I have the first Cipher cable (not the new one) and I prefer without unless I am listening to the iPad. With the iPad I am +/-. As far as EQ goes if you are paying the tariff then knock yourself out or don't; you paid the $$$, ENJOY!

Jan 14, 2019 at 9:39 AM Post #2,538 of 4,791
From my understanding, traditional headphones always have an element of compromise with their frequency response. They fiddle and fiddle with the design and materials trying to hit a target response but no headphone actually delivers that perfectly. There are peaks and troughs but the ones remaining provide part of the "color" of the sound and this is in part why personal preference comes into play and we don't all agree with opinions on what sounds good or bad, or better or worse. With EQ, a manufacturer can, within reason, optimize in a way that they couldn't with hardware design alone. Hence the existence of the plug-ins or presets that come with their cipher cables.

That being said, the out of the box accuracy of the i4 is far closer to Audeze's intended target than the iSine 10/20 which means that the i4 is more than usable without any EQ such as with a Hugo 2.

Feb 6, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #2,540 of 4,791
Using Reveal Plugin System-Wide on Mac:

Here is how you can run Reveal plug-in for your Audeze headphone, system wide on your Mac.

1. Make sure you have already installed Audeze Reveal Plugin on your Mac (https://www.audeze.com/audeze-reveal-plugin)

2. Download AU Labs from the bottom of this page: https://www.apple.com/in/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/

3. AU Labs downloads an application itself. So you don't have to install it. You could simply move it to the 'Applications' folder

4. Download Soundflower from this page: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases

5. Install Soundflower on your Mac. If you have set the Mac to allow installs only from trusted developers, your installation will stop. In such an event, launch System Preferences and go to 'Security and Privacy' and enable the system to allow installation of Soundflower

6. Restart your Mac

7. If you plan on using with a DAC, connect the DAC to the system now

8. Launch System Preferences and go to 'Sound'. Under the Output tab, choose 'Soundflower (2ch)'

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.33.33 PM.png

9. Open 'AU Labs' application and make sure 'Stereo In/Stereo Out' is selected on the left pane of the window

9. Choose 'Soundflower (2ch)' as the Audio Input Device. Choose the connected DAC or the Built-in Output as the Audio Output Device

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.20.25 PM.png

10. After you have finished choosing the devices, click the 'Create Document' button on the bottom of the window

11. This would open a window as shown below. In the 'Audio 1' column, under the Effects, open the dropdown and select 'Reveal'. This opens the Reveal window. Choose your Audeze headphone and adjust the dry/wet and the gain and close the window

Screen Shot 2019-02-06 at 10.20.52 PM.png

12. Now you are all set to go. Play a youtube video on your browser and check if you are getting the audio on your headphone.

13. You could use the same procedure to add your own EQ to any of your headphone. Instead on choosing 'Reveal' under the effect, you would choose the EQ option under 'Apple' and you can create your own EQ.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 8:37 AM Post #2,541 of 4,791
Using Reveal Plugin System-Wide on Mac:

Here is how you can run Reveal plug-in for your Audeze headphone, system wide on your Mac.

1. Make sure you have already installed Audeze Reveal Plugin on your Mac (https://www.audeze.com/audeze-reveal-plugin)

2. Download AU Labs from the bottom of this page: https://www.apple.com/in/itunes/mastered-for-itunes/

3. AU Labs downloads an application itself. So you don't have to install it. You could simply move it to the 'Applications' folder

4. Download Soundflower from this page: https://github.com/mattingalls/Soundflower/releases

5. Install Soundflower on your Mac. If you have set the Mac to allow installs only from trusted developers, your installation will stop. In such an event, launch System Preferences and go to 'Security and Privacy' and enable the system to allow installation of Soundflower

6. Restart your Mac

7. If you plan on using with a DAC, connect the DAC to the system now

8. Launch System Preferences and go to 'Sound'. Under the Output tab, choose 'Soundflower (2ch)'

9. Open 'AU Labs' application and make sure 'Stereo In/Stereo Out' is selected on the left pane of the window

9. Choose 'Soundflower (2ch)' as the Audio Input Device. Choose the connected DAC or the Built-in Output as the Audio Output Device

10. After you have finished choosing the devices, click the 'Create Document' button on the bottom of the window

11. This would open a window as shown below. In the 'Audio 1' column, under the Effects, open the dropdown and select 'Reveal'. This opens the Reveal window. Choose your Audeze headphone and adjust the dry/wet and the gain and close the window

12. Now you are all set to go. Play a youtube video on your browser and check if you are getting the audio on your headphone.

13. You could use the same procedure to add your own EQ to any of your headphone. Instead on choosing 'Reveal' under the effect, you would choose the EQ option under 'Apple' and you can create your own EQ.
Gosh . Look so complicated!

Feb 14, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #2,542 of 4,791
Audeze dealer told me LCDi4 no longer comes with leather case. Is this the only difference versus the original LCDi4 package? What about the lighting cable?
Many thanks.

Feb 14, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #2,543 of 4,791
Audeze dealer told me LCDi4 no longer comes with leather case. Is this the only difference versus the original LCDi4 package? What about the lighting cable?
Many thanks.
That is correct. Note the original case was faux leather I believe.

No cipher cable either, needs to be bought separately. In my case, my dealer kindly threw it in anyway.

Feb 14, 2019 at 1:00 PM Post #2,544 of 4,791
That is correct. Note the original case was faux leather I believe.

No cipher cable either, needs to be bought separately. In my case, my dealer kindly threw it in anyway.

For the cipher cable, you just need to ask for it. They'll send it to you.

Feb 14, 2019 at 6:43 PM Post #2,545 of 4,791
What is the ear lock? Audeze support says current LCDi4 no longer have the leather case and the ear locks.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #2,548 of 4,791
Warlocks we're an alternative to the ear hooks, hey we're soft rubber and stuck in the fold of the ear to hold the i4s in place. I love the earlocks and have been using them since I had isine20s before i4s were released but apparently I was in the minority--for a lot of people the earlocks we're apparently uncomfortable or didn't work with their ears. I emailed audeze support a few months ago to see where I could get replacements and they at the time had some extras left over that I was able to buy. They may still have some stock if you email them.

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #2,549 of 4,791
Warlocks we're an alternative to the ear hooks, hey we're soft rubber and stuck in the fold of the ear to hold the i4s in place. I love the earlocks and have been using them since I had isine20s before i4s were released but apparently I was in the minority--for a lot of people the earlocks we're apparently uncomfortable or didn't work with their ears. I emailed audeze support a few months ago to see where I could get replacements and they at the time had some extras left over that I was able to buy. They may still have some stock if you email them.

Can you post a photo? Thanks

Feb 16, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #2,550 of 4,791
upload_2019-2-16_18-33-29.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back